Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 20, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #13,338 of 15,986
I will install and test eARC when I get a chance, but I haven’t really had any eARC problems in quite some time. I am still having the problem of no sound until I do the dance of bouncing to a preset with default speakers and then back to one that I setup myself.
As I’m experiencing the same no sound issue and same solution for removing it, I look forward to reading your report after installing the new firmware update. I can’t update my Realiser A16 for a while.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #13,339 of 15,986
Welp. From My initial testing this firmware completely broke eARC. It was working 100% of the time for me before the update and now it’s not working at all. Tried disabling and enabling all sorts of things and no luck. It’s not even detecting an eARC signal at all.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #13,341 of 15,986
Welp. From My initial testing this firmware completely broke eARC. It was working 100% of the time for me before the update and now it’s not working at all. Tried disabling and enabling all sorts of things and no luck. It’s not even detecting an eARC signal at all.
Thanks for that info. I have eARC and all my channels, so I will go very slow on this upload. 'Cuz if it ain't broke...

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #13,342 of 15,986
Emailed James about the issue, we’ll see what he has to say.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to rollback firmware on the A16?

Apr 20, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #13,343 of 15,986
Emailed James about the issue, we’ll see what he has to say.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to rollback firmware on the A16?
It is. Just reinstall the earlier version which I believe is 2.08.

Apr 20, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #13,344 of 15,986
It is. Just reinstall the earlier version which I believe is 2.08.
Thanks. So I actually did get eARC working on the new firmware. Took power cycling everything in the chain. I suspect that my tv wasn’t handshaking correctly due to the old connection method.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #13,346 of 15,986
I will install and test eARC when I get a chance, but I haven’t really had any eARC problems in quite some time. I am still having the problem of no sound until I do the dance of bouncing to a preset with default speakers and then back to one that I setup myself.

First time I'm seeing this as a possible solution. The last was to simply power cycle the unit, but that never worked for me. If all I have to do is jump to a default preset, I can easily live with that (if it works) until they fix the issue if it still persists. Having to lose all of my listening rooms and settings each time was ridiculous.

Ironically, the solution all this time was likely just going to a default room, since when you reset to a full restore, the system loads back up with only the default rooms.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #13,347 of 15,986
Thanks. So I actually did get eARC working on the new firmware. Took power cycling everything in the chain. I suspect that my tv wasn’t handshaking correctly due to the old connection method.
Any word on whether the "silent preset" problem has been fixed? I probably won't upgrade if it hasn't been.

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #13,348 of 15,986
First time I'm seeing this as a possible solution. The last was to simply power cycle the unit, but that never worked for me. If all I have to do is jump to a default preset, I can easily live with that (if it works) until they fix the issue if it still persists. Having to lose all of my listening rooms and settings each time was ridiculous.

Ironically, the solution all this time was likely just going to a default room, since when you reset to a full restore, the system loads back up with only the default rooms.
It is actually the only way I can fix the silence issue on my unit. A power cycle would never fix it, but switching to a preset that has default speakers and then back to one that I created works 100% of the time.
Any word on whether the "silent preset" problem has been fixed? I probably won't upgrade if it hasn't been.
No it is not fixed. I still have to switch from preset 1 to a preset like 16 that has default speakers to get sound back with firmware 2.10.

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #13,349 of 15,986
Pondering ...I wonder if I'll be surprised with an e-mail in 2022 that Smyth is ready to ship me the A16 that I paid for a 1/2 decade prior ...

Apr 21, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #13,350 of 15,986

Maybe you didn’t pay enough attention to previous posts. It’s not the first time the issue of no sound is reported here. Starting from October, last year, @Got the Shakes, I and other users wrote here about that issue. @Got the Shakes was the first who noticed a solution: “dance of bouncing to a preset with default speakers and then back to one that I setup myself.”

@Got the Shakes and I contacted James Smyth and sent him the results of the investigations he suggested, but he wrote back that they couldn’t reproduce the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back