Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 7, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #12,857 of 15,985
Is there any way to adjust the first bands on a manLOUD (the two yellow bars) individually for the L and R channel? I can adjust the gain but only for L+R together. Am I missing something? An unlock toggle somewhere perhaps?
The side arrows adjust the respective gains of the L-R channels. The way I do it, the first pass through is done to insure the L-R summed output seems right in the center. Then I adjust frequency bands to make sure each is equally as loud as the other.

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #12,858 of 15,985
Ok, I don't see it. If you start a manLOUD and you are on Band 1, there is no way I can adjust gain separately for L and R. Only on bands 2 and up the HPA and HPB volume buttons function to adjusr L and R gain individually.

Are you really sure you are able to adjust Band 1 separately? I can only change its default gain (-20) for both channels simultaneously with ADJ +/-

Dec 7, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #12,859 of 15,985
I understand the issue now. Band one is centered by default as it’s the reference band. So that can’t be adjusted. If band one is not centered then there may be a hardware problem.

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #12,861 of 15,985
Actually I think it's fixed. I have explicitly disabled HT and now the imbalance isn't as strong. I still have to adjust balance for many individual subbands but this new HPEQ looks a lot more balanced to me, as opposed to a previous one where L was nearly flat and R was even worse than this

Attachments

• newhpeq.png
    newhpeq.png
    537.1 KB · Views: 0
Dec 8, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #12,862 of 15,985
With HT you mean headtracking??
This should not work in HPEQ setup anyway!

And I see you set no vspkr.

Are you trying to generate a "generic" manLOUD HPEQ for in-ear headphones?

If not, a manLOUD HPEQ has to be made always in conjunction with a specific PRIR and is made specifically for this PRIR (or to be more precise: Specifically for one PRIR, one specific headphone and your ears).

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #12,863 of 15,985
With HT you mean headtracking??
This should not work in HPEQ setup anyway!
I agree. But that's the only explanation I have for the imbalance i had. See previous HPEQ here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/page-849#post-16635525
And I see you set no vspkr.
Are you trying to generate a "generic" manLOUD HPEQ for in-ear headphones?

If not, a manLOUD HPEQ has to be made always in conjunction with a specific PRIR and is made specifically for this PRIR (or to be more precise: Specifically for one PRIR, one specific headphone and your ears).
Weird. Might have made an error there. My manLOUD process is basically:
  1. Select my headphones
  2. Select one of the generic PRIRs I have to make a manLOUD for
  3. Generate a FlatEQ
Then I go into the file manager and rename this "infernix_Empyreans" HPEQ to "infernix_Empyrean_SomePRIR" so I am sure to have this one uniquely named for that headphone+PRIR combo. Then:
  1. Select this renamed PRIR-specific HPEQ
  2. Select the relevant PRIR
  3. Set Curve Equal-L-80
  4. Uncheck Man EQ spkr
  5. Set speaker to C
  6. Run the Manloud
  7. Repeat steps 5 for L+R and C+L+R
Reading this back, unchecking Man EQ spkr is probably wrong. The manual seems to indicate that this bypasses the PRIR: "If toggled OFF the sub-band noise signal is played directly to the left and right headphone outputs, and the PRIR file and virtual speaker(s) selection are both ignored".

So this way I'm doing a manLOUD purely on the headphones, without any HRTF. I wonder what the point of that is?

Or maybe that's a good starting point, and I should now take that manLOUD and run it through the C/L+R/C+L+R with Man EQ sprk enabled?

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #12,864 of 15,985
Well it could also be the "hard- (and soft-)ware" of the human user that's off...
(i.e. slight deafness in specific frequency ranges on one ear etc.)

Because of this, I would advise everyone to do a manLoud even with their own PRIRs because the measurement does not capture the "human" aspect of your hearing. My hearing is apparently imbalanced and when doing measurements I always notice that the front field of sound is always a little shifting to the left. With manLoud, I was able to correct this so everything sounds perfectly centered.

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #12,865 of 15,985
  1. Select my headphones
  2. Select one of the generic PRIRs I have to make a manLOUD for
  3. Generate a FlatEQ
Then I go into the file manager and rename this "infernix_Empyreans" HPEQ to "infernix_Empyrean_SomePRIR" so I am sure to have this one uniquely named for that headphone+PRIR combo. Then:
  1. Select this renamed PRIR-specific HPEQ
  2. Select the relevant PRIR
  3. Set Curve Equal-L-80
  4. Uncheck Man EQ spkr
  5. Set speaker to C
  6. Run the Manloud
  7. Repeat steps 5 for L+R and C+L+R
1. For the generation of a flat HPEQ no PRIR has to be selected. A flat EQ is a flat EQ, always.
Those fields for PRIR selection, Start, spkr etc. are alle prefixed with "Man EQ", so they only matter while generating a manLOUD (or manSPK) HPEQ

2. a manLOUD HPEQ only adds ONE manLOUD curve to ONE existing HPEQ. Therefore we need an existing HPEQ as a starting point.
I recommend using a flat EQ because this is created by "one click" whereas an auto EQ always includes the measuring process with the mics etc. Since we can not really copy HPEQ (or PRIR) files inside the Realiser it's way easier to use a flat EQ as a starting point.

3. The "Man EQ spkr" switch has to be checked (green, switch to the right) so that the virtual speaker from the selected PRIR is used during the manLOUD process.
Unchecked the sound is directly played through the headphones. I used this to create a "generic" HPEQ for in ear headphones because you can't use autoHPEQ with in ears. This generic HPEQ is than equal to an auto HPEQ of a normal (on ear or over ear) headphone and can (theoretically) used with every PRIR that is made with your own ears.
However it is probably better to do this also PRIR specific, same is true for normal headphones and your own PRIRs, they could also benefit from an additional manLOUD run.

4. You can select with Man EQ spkr that the sound should be played only throgh the virtual Center speaker of the PRIR you selected or through speakers L+R or through all front speakers L+C+R.
Only one curve can then be stored in the HPEQ as manLOUD curve.
So your step 7 is not correct or not correctly described. As you describe it, you alway end up with the manLOUD curve created via L+C+R.

5. IF you want to create 3 different manLOUD HPEQs that are created with all 3 different man EQ spkr options (C, L+R, L+C+R) then first you have to create 3 separate (flat) HPEQs. Since you can rename them now include the target man EQ spkr in those names so e.g. infernix_Empyrean_SomePRIR_C, infernix_Empyrean_SomePRIR_LR, infernix_Empyrean_SomePRIR_LCR or s.th. like this.
Then you have to carry out all your steps 1 through 6 three times for those 3 different options, so you create 3 different manLOUD HPEQs based on C, LR and LCR of one specific PRIR.
These 3 different manLOUD HPEQS can then be compared in playback with the specific PRIR and then you can select the one which sounds best and use it.
This is what I'd recommend and did myself with the factory PRIRs before I had my own PRIR.

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #12,866 of 15,985
I was able to make multiple copies of my personal HD_800S Auto HPEQ to do man-loud for each of my chosen PRIR’s

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #12,868 of 15,985
In the Realiser or external on the PC?
In the realiser, I copied my Hpeq from the realiser onto my sd-card then copy them back multiple times onto the realiser. I have only one pair of Headphones paired to the realiser so only one main Hpeq in 7 copies with different man-loud for Prirs.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #12,869 of 15,985
In the realiser, I copied my Hpeq from the realiser onto my sd-card then copy them back multiple times onto the realiser. I have only one pair of Headphones paired to the realiser so only one main Hpeq in 7 copies with different man-loud for Prirs.
Exactly how I did it too. Would be nice if they had better file editing tools in the A16 software.

Dec 14, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #12,870 of 15,985
How many folks are using firmware 2.05 with DivX? If so, what problems are you encountering, if any.

I tried 2.05 and had lots of problems with it. I didn't know at the time to toggle the switch for "full factory reset" that Stephen clarified.

I'm thinking about trying it again, since I paid for DivX but haven't been able to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back