Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 17, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #12,513 of 15,986
Probably "simply" replaces most of the multi-channel in/out board with one of these https://www.audinate.com/products/manufacturer-products/dante-brooklyn-ii

I'd say it's unclear if they have ever built or sold one, or if the offer is just there to gauge interest.
We will have to see…since after the forthcoming Paris Audio Video show of 23rd–24th October Gilles will also be at the SATIS (for pros in Paris) on 9th/10th November to display also the new A16 PD Dante :
https://www.satistv.com/liste-produit/615f1f9b0f8ce4251630ead9
https://satis-expo.com/en/

edit :...Presented as a world premiere at SATIS, the SMYTH Realiser A16 2U Dante...

1634497399045.png

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #12,514 of 15,986
I am thinking of selling my A8 which I got back in 2013. I am the original owner. It is the HDMI version. It has seen little use over the years and works great. Comes with all accessories (but not the Stax combo it came with since I am keeping that for now :)). I was going to keep it as a backup to my A16, but amazingly there is always new gear to fund. Anyway, just posting to see if there is any interest. If not, then I will happily keep it. Thanks.

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #12,515 of 15,986
https://www.kickstarter.com/articles/global-supply-chain-disruption?ref=banner

This is an extract from Kickstarter Page. The complete text is on the Kickstarter link:
-----------------------------------
If your campaign is live or you’re currently working to fulfill your project, over-communicate.

It’s always a good idea to be extra communicative with your backers. Be open, honest, proactive, and clear about the factors that may ultimately contribute to slower fulfillment times than folks might have enjoyed in the past. Again, many backers will already be familiar with the recent news about the global supply chain disruption, but they'll appreciate hearing directly from you and getting an honest assessment of what to expect.

If you’re a backer, extend your support.

If you're a backer and you're reading this—well, first of all, thank you for helping creative projects come to life. That's an awesome thing to do and you're amazing for doing it. And in the spirit of being awesome and amazing, we hope you'll be willing to extend a little extra grace to the creators on Kickstarter whose projects you’ve backed. Even in normal times, making and delivering something new, creative, and ambitious is a challenging thing to do. For the time being, it might take creators a little while longer to deliver their projects, but if you're willing to hold tight, it's usually worth the wait.
----------------------------------------------

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #12,516 of 15,986
Unfortunately, I don’t think that Smyth Research read press releases at kickstarter page or if they read them, then it seems they don’t really care about the suggested recommendations. I don’t want to imply that they are not honest, but definitely they don’t over-communicate, actually the opposite. Their latest update post for backers was in September 2020.

On the side of backers, as Smyth Research are roughly four years behind their assumed delivery schedule, I don’t think anyone could say that backers weren’t enough patient. What extra grace could backers extend to Smyth Research?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #12,517 of 15,986
Today, I’ve received an email message including an invitation:
“Trinnov exhibits at the Paris Audio Video Show
Come and meet our team in room 31 (Trocadero) for an exclusive 9.2.4 home theater demonstration with our co-exhibiting partners Sony, Waterfall Audio, Xtrem Screen and Roche Bobois.”

That exclusive 9.2.4 home theatre and also the 9.1.4 speaker setup (Dolby Atmos Music Suite) at msm studios in Munich lead me to the question of whether or not one really needs a 24 virtual loudspeaker processor? In other words, the recording studios are equipped with much less sophisticated speaker setups than the Realiser A16 can emulate.

Of course, I’m aware that audio objects are rendered more correctly as the available speaker configuration is appropriate. However, I think that 16 virtual speakers are more than enough to bring immersive music and movie sounds to any home listening room.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #12,518 of 15,986
The engineer in the studio always sits in the sweet spot.
For a greater auditorium, the more speakers, the better.

So one can conclude that, as you are also always in the sweet spot with the A16, 16 speakers would be enough. Or even less: 4 tops would be sufficient for example, as there will be a phantom center source between the front and rear tops. Also the wides could be omitted, a wide signal will be a phantom source between front spkr and side surround.
I tested this with dedicated 9.1.6 Atmos test signals.
However, a real speaker is always better than a phantom speaker (if it is the same speaker or from the same series) even if you sit in the sweet spot.
Sitting in the sweet spot you can argue you don't even need a center speaker, a phantom source between L and R would be sufficient. Compare to stereo signals. With good speakers and a good stereo setup, the phantom center really sounds like a dedicated center, remaining difference often is the perceived size and height of the phantom source compared to the real center. This is caused by your individual HRTF.
And since with movie surround there is almost always a dedicated center channel, so having a speaker here is the best option, a downmix of the center channel to the L and R channel can come with a lot of additional problems.

If you have a 24ch A16 and you can create a 24ch setup and a 16 (or 14) ch setup with the same virtual speakers you could easily test this if you hear a difference and if 24ch are better. The A16 has a seamlessly operating AB-comparison functionality for such tests.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #12,519 of 15,986
Firmware 2.05 available for download.

Rev 2.05 Oct 20, 2021
Updating your A16 with rev 2.05 June 20, 2021 is only necessary if your A16’s current firmware is
older. The current revision of your firmware is found in SETTINGS>UPDATES/ABOUT as described
below in step 5. If an update is required, please begin with STEP 1. This update corresponds to
Realiser A16 User Manual v2.0 20 Oct 2021.
Issues fixed with this update

(All hardware variants)
1. Several users have reported the occasional presence of low-level distortion during
headphone listening particularly for sound rooms that comprised user measured PRIRs. The
problem was traced to a function within the playback software that was not being properly
initialised, and which resulted in the intermittent corruption of the late reverberation
portions of the sound field. This problem has been fixed.

Imminent A16 Features (all hardware variants)
1) Extend ASYNC PRIR measurements to 24 channels
2) Extend OH key group to 10 overhead/height speakers

New A16 Features in Development (all hardware variants)
1) Auro3D certification
2) Vertical Headtracking mode
3) Low delay gaming mode
4) Extend optical stabilisation mode to User B head tracking

It seems that the user manual (rev 2.0 OCT 20 2021) is a composite version, including the previous release notes.

Excerpt from the manual, page no. 9:

2.1.3 Realiser A16 specifications
………………
Virtualisation sources:
1. HDMI inputs (1-4): Dolby Atmos, DD+, DD, DTS*, DTS-X*, 8ch LPCM (24bit@48/96/192kHz)
2. SPDIF input (coaxial or optical): Dolby Digital, DTS*, 2ch LPCM (24bit@48/96/192kHz)
*Where the user has purchased the DTS-X decoding upgrade.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #12,521 of 15,986
Ok. I have NOOB question. I have an micro sd card but It doesn’t seem to want to fit into the slot for updating the firmware. Is there different types of micro as cards? I tried putting it with the contacts up and also with the contacts down. Mine is a micro sd xc as pictured.

Attachments

• 87685328-1276-44FD-9A58-1AA37630EBD0.jpeg
    87685328-1276-44FD-9A58-1AA37630EBD0.jpeg
    822.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 22, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #12,522 of 15,986
Ok. I have NOOB question. I have an micro sd card but It doesn’t seem to want to fit into the slot for updating the firmware. Is there different types of micro as cards? I tried putting it with the contacts up and also with the contacts down. Mine is a micro sd xc as pictured.
I’m also using a SanDisk SD card that fits into the slot for updating the firmware. As you can see it has the same shape as yours.
SD.card.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back