Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 24, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #11,596 of 15,985
Big fan of the atv4k I see, ha! I do believe the atv4k is capable of rendering atmos metadata, as far as streaming goes anyway, since as I mentioned I'm able to see the speaker icons reflect that. I guess perhaps there was another "update" since that time to rectify the issue. But as I said, it doesn't actually say atmos on the a16 but instead 8-ch. I'm thinking that may be more of a software issue of the a16's though since it's the same occurrence with my Xbox one in gameplay (atmos audio but no icon). Does your a16 show the atmos icon?

So you haven't used it for digital files. Ok, how's the audio when streaming atmos, sound okay? & do you need a specific version of the shield that's atmos capable?

I'd have no problem switching over to the shield (or some other source) if it would offer me this feature of being able to play my atmos encoded files.
It does do Atmos from Netflix (no player just Netflix to A16 over HDMI). whether the Plex player on NVIDIA will play Atmos is another matter you'll have to investigate. I got the smaller version with less Ram and it won't work with Plex. And yes, it does show ATMOS on my speaker map, and I can indeed hear the overhead channels and I like that. :) And it really sounds great, especially for my first stab at a PRIR, let alone a 16 channel PRIR. And yes, it was hard to do. But like my first GF said, it'll get easier.

May 25, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #11,597 of 15,985
As for ATV4k, we had discussion on this thread around 4 months ago indicating the developers "improved" the firmware rendering it incapable of doing 16 channel ATMOS. I was contemplating buying the ATV4k at the time, but learned about that upgrade, and did a hard pass, opting for the NVIDIA unit instead.

Apple was working the problem around then to restore 16 Ch ATMOS, but I can tell you on general principles one of my absolute, ballistic pet peeves (more like a trigger for ultra violence, actually) is some !%$#@&* developer messing with some piece of firmware that I have on my system, that works and plays nice with all my software, that absolutely is in no way broken, and CHANGES IT SO IT NOW NO LONGER DOES WHAT I PAID FOR IT TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE. Since Apple chooses to do those kind of updates, they can as far as I'm concerned, take their ATV4K and stick it where the sun don't shine.

This is NOT an Apple issue. Atmos is broken because the "new" HDMI board in the 24-channel A-16 has a bug decoding MAT streaming. From the latest (more than a year old) release notes:

"The APM110 Atmos decoder is not decoding Dolby MAT streams correctly. MAT streaming is commonly used in Apple TV and Sony PlayStation products when decoding Atmos content."

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #11,598 of 15,985
Big fan of the atv4k I see, ha! I do believe the atv4k is capable of rendering atmos metadata, as far as streaming goes anyway, since as I mentioned I'm able to see the speaker icons reflect that. I guess perhaps there was another "update" since that time to rectify the issue. But as I said, it doesn't actually say atmos on the a16 but instead 8-ch. I'm thinking that may be more of a software issue of the a16's though since it's the same occurrence with my Xbox one in gameplay (atmos audio but no icon). Does your a16 show the atmos icon?

So you haven't used it for digital files. Ok, how's the audio when streaming atmos, sound okay? & do you need a specific version of the shield that's atmos capable?

I'd have no problem switching over to the shield (or some other source) if it would offer me this feature of being able to play my atmos encoded files.

It does do Atmos from Netflix (no player just Netflix to A16 over HDMI). whether the Plex player on NVIDIA will play Atmos is another matter you'll have to investigate. I got the smaller version with less Ram and it won't work with Plex. And yes, it does show ATMOS on my speaker map, and I can indeed hear the overhead channels and I like that. :) And it really sounds great, especially for my first stab at a PRIR, let alone a 16 channel PRIR. And yes, it was hard to do. But like my first GF said, it'll get easier.

I have the Shield Pro and it will play Atmos from digital files through Plex. If I remember I will post a photo showing that either tonight or later this week to confirm.

May 25, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #11,599 of 15,985
This is NOT an Apple issue.

I want to be clear about this because I'm still angry that I went to all that trouble to upgrade my A-16 and lost more (feature wise) than I gained. Also because this is almost certainly a fix that will come from the HDMI board vendor and if there is not one after over a year, I doubt there ever will be one.

Edit: In fact, I'm so annoyed with it that I decided to contact MDS directly. I'll post here if/when I get a reply.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #11,600 of 15,985
This is NOT an Apple issue. Atmos is broken because the "new" HDMI board in the 24-channel A-16 has a bug decoding MAT streaming. From the latest (more than a year old) release notes:

"The APM110 Atmos decoder is not decoding Dolby MAT streams correctly. MAT streaming is commonly used in Apple TV and Sony PlayStation products when decoding Atmos content."
Evidently not with the NVIDIA though.

May 25, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #11,601 of 15,985
I have the Shield Pro and it will play Atmos from digital files through Plex. If I remember I will post a photo showing that either tonight or later this week to confirm.
Thank you for the suggestion! I'll look into getting a shield then. How does the plex work for the shield? Is it just a matter of downloading the app and drag and drop the file kinda thing? Is it a paid app?

You’re right I believe I do have the newer 24ch version. So does this mean the ‘atmos’ sound that I'm hearing it's not truly atmos?😰

May 25, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #11,602 of 15,985
I want to be clear about this because I'm still angry that I went to all that trouble to upgrade my A-16 and lost more (feature wise) than I gained. Also because this is almost certainly a fix that will come from the HDMI board vendor and if there is not one after over a year, I doubt there ever will be one.

Edit: In fact, I'm so annoyed with it that I decided to contact MDS directly. I'll post here if/when I get a reply.

I feel the same way about going through the “upgrade” process. Not only did we lose Apple TV Atmos, although I can mitigate that with one of the other devices I own, but we were told that eARC was going to be enabled since the board supported it, and it hasn’t been. It has been just about a year since the upgrade period happened and the one feature I went through the hassle of sending my unit back for is nowhere to be seen. In fact I believe it was at the top of the to be implement list for firmware updates, but it’s been close to a year since we’ve seen one of those, hasn’t it?

May 25, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #11,603 of 15,985
I feel the same way about going through the “upgrade” process. Not only did we lose Apple TV Atmos, although I can mitigate that with one of the other devices I own, but we were told that eARC was going to be enabled since the board supported it, and it hasn’t been. It has been just about a year since the upgrade period happened and the one feature I went through the hassle of sending my unit back for is nowhere to be seen. In fact I believe it was at the top of the to be implement list for firmware updates, but it’s been close to a year since we’ve seen one of those, hasn’t it?
Have they really gotten to anything on the to-do list? The web interface? The Realiser exchange? eARC? Cordless headtracking? async PRIR DVD? Eq and volume control for individual analogue output channels? BRIR individualization? Published codes for external remotes?

While I can understand the difficulties caused by worldwide supply chain breakdowns (seems to be afflicting most consumer electronic manufacturers these days), I am far less sympathetic to the lack of energy and follow-through they're displaying in meeting their promises on these issues, and it does affect everyone's satisfaction with the product. Unquestionably.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #11,604 of 15,985
Have they really gotten to anything on the to-do list? The web interface? The Realiser exchange? eARC? Cordless headtracking? async PRIR DVD? Eq and volume control for individual analogue output channels? BRIR individualization? Published codes for external remotes?

While I can understand the difficulties caused by worldwide supply chain breakdowns (seems to be afflicting most consumer electronic manufacturers these days), I am far less sympathetic to the lack of energy and follow-through they're displaying in meeting their promises on these issues, and it does affect everyone's satisfaction with the product. Unquestionably.

I fully agree. And it is made all the more painful with the lack of communication and the wrong, never corrected dates. For example, we were told the Exchange would open in December 2020 and have not heard a peep since.

May 25, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #11,607 of 15,985
Oct. 5 2020

(not blaming Fox1977, of course)
I should have know better than to trust such announce, after all the false hope they gave over the years when it comes to delay. At some point, i wanted to believe that he would finally get one right, especially after the Realiser Exchange website was accessible for a few days, it seemed nearly over...
But eventually it's been nearly 10 months without any news nor firmware (though for a while they were quite often releasing new versions of it)
At least i got my unit, so there's that... unfortunately, many are not that lucky.

May 25, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #11,608 of 15,985

I fully agree. And it is made all the more painful with the lack of communication and the wrong, never corrected dates. For example, we were told the Exchange would open in December 2020 and have not heard a peep since.
Yeah you bring up a good point. We haven’t really gotten any of the features they’ve talked about. It would be bad enough if we were missing some of the things they’ve promised, but the part that frustrates me about the Atmos Apple TV thing and lack of eARC is that there was like $1000 of sunk cost into getting the A16 to the UK and back and the cost of parts/labor. Not to mention the hoops I had to jump through to get $900 in Customs fees refunded. I paid $1000 to lose one feature and still not have eARC which is the most important thing to me currently with my setup.

May 25, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #11,609 of 15,985
Man, this makes me so glad I was so busy I never even looked into the upgrade. 16 channels are enough for me, and no need for eARC here.
I use the A TV a LOT with the A16.
My path with the Realiser runs as follows: NVIDIA Shield ===> A16 Realiser ====> 55" Changhong 4K LCD TV all via HDMI. So no need for eARC b/c I'm not using the TV as the souce, but only as the endpoint. Plan to upgrade to a LG 55" OLED by year end. Given the excellence of the NVIDIA, stilll don't see why I would want to use any TV as my source, so, mercifully, I didn't get bitten by the Smyth upgrade, but charging for the upgrade (mine came free b/c it was being repaired in shop when they ran out of the old boards), and not delivering one of the two big promises (the other being 24 channel) is just a real p*%$er IMHO.

May 25, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #11,610 of 15,985
My path with the Realiser runs as follows: NVIDIA Shield ===> A16 Realiser ====> 55" Changhong 4K LCD TV all via HDMI.

I've been using the Apple TV for more than a decade and have mostly Apple devices, so I don't want to switch streamers if I can avoid it. However, if there is no solution to the Atmos/MAT issue by the end of the year, I guess I'll either get an NVIDIA Shield or a Google TV. I got my mom the new Google TV recently and I was surprised how good it has gotten. Very close to the Apple TV now in terms of features and usability. And it is only like $50. What model of the NVIDIA Shield should I compare it to? NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Pro 4K HDR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back