Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 21, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #11,341 of 15,951
So a cable like this hooked up to the headphone out of the A16. I'd need a 1/4" converter of course. Thank you.
I am not sure you understood what I meant. On the back of the A16 are analog line outputs (RCA/cinch) and digital outputs (optical and coaxial) that output the processed headphone signals, seperate for each user. That was what I was talking about.

Feb 22, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #11,343 of 15,951
o if a Blu-ray sends the Dolby L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb (confirmed by MediaInfo) channels to the Realiser... what happens to the Ls and Rs channels? Specifically if the listening room has no Ls or Rs channels and only Lss and Rss channels?
I was hoping that I made this clear.

If you have a 7.x or 9.x room, and play a 5.x signal without upmixer, the signal of the surrounds (Ls, Rs) will be routed to the side surrounds (Lss, Rss) only.
With a 7.x or more signal everything gets routed correctly, no matter what labels mediainfo tells you.
So one can say: Ls Rs is routed to Lss and Rss.

Of course I can not speak for DTS as the Realiser at the moment does not decode DTS, but I'm pretty sure that as the listening rooms are arranged in the same way for DTS in the Realiser the behaviour will be similar.

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #11,344 of 15,951
Just checking in for my bi-monthly update. Have most, or all of the Kickstarter units been shipped yet, or did that slow moving bus get another flat at some point?
The Realizer A16.. Just still a dream for many of us who have pre-ordered. This question is aimed for all who are still waiting for your A16. May I ask what are you using just now to get your surround sound. Not talking about surround sound amplifier and speaker set up, but about your surround headphone set up?

After giving all my cash to Smyth Research for my Realizer A16 I cannot afford to splash out on another large system so here is what I now have.

Sony UBPX800/M2 Player
Ezcoo EX11HAS-PRO HDMI 2.0 Audio Extractor (HDMI 2.0 Repeater Scaling & Audio (Use HDMI to optical Out, as Sony has no optical out)
An old Tritton AX Pro Surround Headphone System
It only gives me Dolby Digital and Dolby Prologic, but better than nothing.

I have had a new pair of Sennheiser 800S headphones bought over 2 years ago, boxed up ready, waiting for the day I finally receive my A16.

PS: YT video for EZCOO as some users may find it interesting and can change HDMI to Optical for Sound.

I have different devices depending on where the main audio source is. For PC I've just been using an Essence STX with every PC since 2011, and up until recently had been using some Beyer HD880s (with different pads) for both since I normally have two different systems at a time, but for the last few months I've been using those on my desktop, and some 1990s on the one I use with my TV.

For streaming stuff that plays directly from the TV, and the occasional game console, I've been using this since 2011:
pioneer_tred800_dolby_dts_headphone_decoder_transmitter_sedir800c_sedhp800_1552637836_8847ba2e0

Unfortunately the headphone jack isn't the best (but it's still serviceable). The real downside with that though is that it doesn't have any decent output options for using with external headphone amps, so it can't be used like a Mixamp, or similar device. Still fine for non critical listening, which would be the bulk of what I watch in terms of visual media. I find the 1990s are also much easier to drive with the headphone jack on that box too, so explosions and stuff don't sound so distorted like they can sometimes with the 880s I have.

Funny story about that box too is that I actually started down the Dolby Headphone path with an old Triton box that allowed you to use your own headphones. Initially I wasn't impressed (but it was more of an issue of the headphones I had at the time more than anything), so I exchanged that box for the Triton AP "Pro" headset that had discreet drivers...thing sounded like absolute crap though, and my next step was with the Pioneer unit.

For 4K stuff, I got so sick of waiting for the A16 to ship, and also never expected the retail price to be $4,000, so when that was revealed, I just decided to grab a used A8, which was meant to be my "backup" system for the A16, but since I don't even have that yet... Mainly use my Sennheiser HD800s with the A8. I also don't use the headphone jack of the A8 much anymore. It was fine when I was just using the 880s, but not so much with the HD800s since I needed more ways to tailor the sound than what comes with the unit. I used the optical out, and have it hooked up to this Monolith 124459, which gives me plenty of power and I can actually have decent explosions in films now with the Sennheisers, without them sounding either anemic or boomy. It also lets me tame the shrillness out of the HD800s without changing the rest of the sound too much. One can argue all they like that the HD800s are "balanced and not shrill" or whatever (*might be true for very specific music genres), but when bullets start flying, and you hear glass shattering, you'll quickly question that opinion.

244591.jpg

Now I just have to hope that the ten year old A8 I purchase lasts until the A16 actually arrives.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #11,345 of 15,951
Just checking in for my bi-monthly update. Have most, or all of the Kickstarter units been shipped yet, or did that slow moving bus get another flat at some point?

I have different devices depending on where the main audio source is. For PC I've just been using an Essence STX with every PC since 2011, and up until recently had been using some Beyer HD880s (with different pads) for both since I normally have two different systems at a time, but for the last few months I've been using those on my desktop, and some 1990s on the one I use with my TV.

For streaming stuff that plays directly from the TV, and the occasional game console, I've been using this since 2011:
pioneer_tred800_dolby_dts_headphone_decoder_transmitter_sedir800c_sedhp800_1552637836_8847ba2e0

Unfortunately the headphone jack isn't the best (but it's still serviceable). The real downside with that though is that it doesn't have any decent output options for using with external headphone amps, so it can't be used like a Mixamp, or similar device. Still fine for non critical listening, which would be the bulk of what I watch in terms of visual media. I find the 1990s are also much easier to drive with the headphone jack on that box too, so explosions and stuff don't sound so distorted like they can sometimes with the 880s I have.

Funny story about that box too is that I actually started down the Dolby Headphone path with an old Triton box that allowed you to use your own headphones. Initially I wasn't impressed (but it was more of an issue of the headphones I had at the time more than anything), so I exchanged that box for the Triton AP "Pro" headset that had discreet drivers...thing sounded like absolute crap though, and my next step was with the Pioneer unit.

For 4K stuff, I got so sick of waiting for the A16 to ship, and also never expected the retail price to be $4,000, so when that was revealed, I just decided to grab a used A8, which was meant to be my "backup" system for the A16, but since I don't even have that yet... Mainly use my Sennheiser HD800s with the A8. I also don't use the headphone jack of the A8 much anymore. It was fine when I was just using the 880s, but not so much with the HD800s since I needed more ways to tailor the sound than what comes with the unit. I used the optical out, and have it hooked up to this Monolith 124459, which gives me plenty of power and I can actually have decent explosions in films now with the Sennheisers, without them sounding either anemic or boomy. It also lets me tame the shrillness out of the HD800s without changing the rest of the sound too much. One can argue all they like that the HD800s are "balanced and not shrill" or whatever (*might be true for very specific music genres), but when bullets start flying, and you hear glass shattering, you'll quickly question that opinion.

244591.jpg

Now I just have to hope that the ten year old A8 I purchase lasts until the A16 actually arrives.

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #11,346 of 15,951
Hi Sanctuary last email I received from James Smyth was on 23/12/2020 where I quote he said:
“We will continue to ship the remaining KS units in the new year and then we'll begin shipping pre-orders out”

So I have know idea what the last KS order number was, that has been received since December 2020. Hopefully someone reading this thread can answer that. All I know is I’m pre-order 160 so I won’t be holding my breath unless a miracle happens. I wish you the best of luck with your order too.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #11,347 of 15,951
Something I've always been curious about... does it even matter what you have Audio Source set to in the 'Preset' page (the page where you can press enter on the remote to reload your preset). For the longest time I'll just have the main Audio Source setting (the one on the main settings page) set to what I want but the one on my preset has always been set to 'HDMI 1'.

So let's say the main setting is set to 'USB' but the one on the preset page is set to 'HDMI 1', it will still be working on 'USB'. Doesn't seem to cause any problems with sound output but was just curious why there are two areas where you can select Audio Source? Whatever is on the main page seems to take priority anyways.

Feb 24, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #11,348 of 15,951
Something I've always been curious about... does it even matter what you have Audio Source set to in the 'Preset' page (the page where you can press enter on the remote to reload your preset). For the longest time I'll just have the main Audio Source setting (the one on the main settings page) set to what I want but the one on my preset has always been set to 'HDMI 1'.

So let's say the main setting is set to 'USB' but the one on the preset page is set to 'HDMI 1', it will still be working on 'USB'. Doesn't seem to cause any problems with sound output but was just curious why there are two areas where you can select Audio Source? Whatever is on the main page seems to take priority anyways.
Behind the Audio Source selector in the main page is an on-off switch. If you switch it off then the Audio Selector in the active preset comes in effect.

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #11,349 of 15,951
Behind the Audio Source selector in the main page is an on-off switch. If you switch it off then the Audio Selector in the active preset comes in effect.

Ah yes, of course it's right there staring right at me in plain view 🤦‍♂️

Haha, thanks!

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #11,350 of 15,951
The Realizer A16.. Just still a dream for many of us who have pre-ordered. This question is aimed for all who are still waiting for your A16. May I ask what are you using just now to get your surround sound. Not talking about surround sound amplifier and speaker set up, but about your surround headphone set up?

After giving all my cash to Smyth Research for my Realizer A16 I cannot afford to splash out on another large system so here is what I now have.

Sony UBPX800/M2 Player
Ezcoo EX11HAS-PRO HDMI 2.0 Audio Extractor (HDMI 2.0 Repeater Scaling & Audio (Use HDMI to optical Out, as Sony has no optical out)
An old Tritton AX Pro Surround Headphone System
It only gives me Dolby Digital and Dolby Prologic, but better than nothing.

I have had a new pair of Sennheiser 800S headphones bought over 2 years ago, boxed up ready, waiting for the day I finally receive my A16.

PS: YT video for EZCOO as some users may find it interesting and can change HDMI to Optical for Sound.

I use the JVC Exofield for my bedroom TV. It decodes Atmos and DTS:X over HDMI and uses a smartphone app and microphones to personalize the sound. The downside is you're limited to using the included wireless headphones.

For PC I typically use Dolby Atmos for Headphones. This integrates very well with Windows and works best with apps and games with spatial audio support. It also works for any multichannel source. Netflix Atmos content, for example, will be rendered with the Atmos content intact.

PC also supports DTS Headphone:X, but I prefer the sound of Dolby Atmos for Headphones. There is also Windows Sonic.

Xbox should also have support for Dolby Atmos for Headphones and Windows Sonic. I haven't checked on DTS Headphone:X.

I've also tried the Super X-Fi, Creative SBX, and Waves NX (with and without the bluetooth headtracker.) Again, these are mainly PC solutions.

I was one of the early Kickstarter backers and have had my Realiser for quite some time, but don't use it as often as I thought I would've. It's actually made me realize how terrible sounding my home theater is due to lack of proper room treatment.

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #11,351 of 15,951
Hi Sanctuary last email I received from James Smyth was on 23/12/2020 where I quote he said:
“We will continue to ship the remaining KS units in the new year and then we'll begin shipping pre-orders out”

So I have know idea what the last KS order number was, that has been received since December 2020. Hopefully someone reading this thread can answer that. All I know is I’m pre-order 160 so I won’t be holding my breath unless a miracle happens. I wish you the best of luck with your order too.
Hi mrtim6, can I ask how you know your pre-order number because I tried to ask James but did not receive a reply. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #11,354 of 15,951
The practice doing this run will make the next one go quicker. I’ve been at this most of the day now.

Yep, practice makes perfect. Although running a PRIR as I need to do can take a while.

So captured PRIRs for both myself and the spouse, and we also measured her cans HPEQ while she still had the microphones in.

Since I have a 5.1.4 system, but the Atmos room I have async files for is a 7.1.4 (and I want a 7.1.4 layout for the A16), I used a trick to record 3 PRIR runs for each users.
With the second one being a look left 45 degrees as the 'center' so we get a Lss at -103 degrees, and a thrid PRIR run starting with a look right at 45 degrees for a Rss at 103 degrees.
Then when loading the Atmos room for a user, we load the first PRIR as 'all speakers', but then select Lss and load the Lss from the second run as 'single speaker', repeat for the Rss from the third run, and done.

Since the realizer is still in the HT room I can do the test of muting the room's speakers, listen to the A16 render the room, then pull off the cans and un-mute the main rig and compare. Dual outputs from the Oppo 103 are helpful.

While quite close, I still find the real room produces a better immersive bubble than the A16, maybe I'm expecting more from the virtualized rendering.

Maybe the mics were not positioned in the ears well enough to accurately capture the pinnae effect on the sound behind me. As I do not sense much in rear-panned sounds. The real system is much clearer about stuff being 'behind'. Thoughts?

Sure beats stereo though :wink:

I'll have to reload some other presets and see if it's any better in terms of spatial positioning, but then it's not my HRTF.

What it did show me is that my rig is spectacular sounding and all that effort into room treatments sure paid off.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #11,355 of 15,951
Does anyone have an NVIDIA shield? I bought one this month expressly so I would have a source for ATMOS movies on Netflix, and after setup it shows the same movies my desktop Netflix app shows as ATMOS as being 5.1. It clearly states it's supposed to support Atmos and DTS-X, and it's only showing Netflix titles in 5.1 when I can see they're offered in ATMOS on my PC app. Anyone know what gives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back