Smyth Research Realiser A16
Nov 29, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #10,891 of 15,985
Background follower and owner here. Don't really post much but saw z reviews recent "review" and felt a need to make a comment on his video. I tried to straighten out one or two things he clearly got wrong. Hopefully if it helps to undeter even one less person who was perhaps considering a realiser but then see's his misguiding video, I'd be happy. Poor excuse for a 'review' of a product you couldn't even learn its most basic features of.
I saw your comment... Thanks for taking the time to post... Also nice to read about another TC user. How are you powering your TCs when using the A16?

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #10,892 of 15,985
I saw your comment... Thanks for taking the time to post... Also nice to read about another TC user. How are you powering your TCs when using the A16?

Yes like wise, good to see you here too. I remember seeing you first coming to this forum some months back after always having saw you around the Abyss forums. Was happy to see you discover the A16.

I currently have my TC's with Abyss for a few weeks now for an issue I was having. Before that I simply powered them straight from the A16 on high gain and was surprisingly fairly satisfied with that for a while considering the TC's generally like a bit more power. But recently got a Linear Tube Audio MZ3 amplifier which I'm super excited to try them with. The system sounds pretty good even from my cheaper place holder headphones at the moment.

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #10,893 of 15,985
Yes like wise, good to see you here too. I remember seeing you first coming to this forum some months back after always having saw you around the Abyss forums. Was happy to see you discover the A16.

I currently have my TC's with Abyss for a few weeks now for an issue I was having. Before that I simply powered them straight from the A16 on high gain and was surprisingly fairly satisfied with that for a while considering the TC's generally like a bit more power. But recently got a Linear Tube Audio MZ3 amplifier which I'm super excited to try them with. The system sounds pretty good even from my cheaper place holder headphones at the moment.
Cool... Congrats on the LTA. I was tempted to go down the tube road with the WA33 or a Riviera AIC-10. But the idea of tube rolling frightens me. With so many options... I'm not sure I would ever be satisfied. So I went with the Moon 600i. All is well. Unfortunately, the 600i only has one set of balanced inputs... So I am using RCAs from the A16 to the 600i. Looks like that's what you will need to do as well.

Hope you get your TCs back soon.. that way can use them with the A16 and become a headphone hater (Zeos reference) again.

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #10,894 of 15,985
Cool... Congrats on the LTA. I was tempted to go down the tube road with the WA33 or a Riviera AIC-10. But the idea of tube rolling frightens me. With so many options... I'm not sure I would ever be satisfied. So I went with the Moon 600i. All is well. Unfortunately, the 600i only has one set of balanced inputs... So I am using RCAs from the A16 to the 600i. Looks like that's what you will need to do as well.

Hope you get your TCs back soon.. that way can use them with the A16 and become a headphone hater (Zeos reference) again.

Yes I remember looking into the moon amp back when I saw that you liked it with your TC's.

I'm not very well versed with rolling either, but I do like the sound of tubes. I think that's part of why I decided to try out the LTA. The designs of their amps are modelled specifically around the tubes that they already choose, so no need to change them out. Of course the possibility to do so is always there which is nice. I would imagine is the same for those amps you mentioned as well. Fortunately I'm not very tempted with tube rolling, I just go with what the manufacturer has put in place as long as sounds good.

Ha, yes I’m all about hating headphones with all my headphone equipment purchases :wink:. let's hope he changes his review at some point, or better yet maybe get proper review videos from current users.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #10,897 of 15,985
I will ask. He will know everything about it.

We both can obtain captures so that a wider selection of people get the best results probable.

We are also going to capture the tri amped center right, left, etc that are at the screen. Very exciting that is not including the fourth channel, the big sub directly hooked up to those 5 channels *6 or 7 actually)

If it doesn't turn out good i will not release, and we will remeasure very soon. I am pretty sure we have it dialed in, without TOO much risk (spent last visit dialing in the calibration process.) And the theatre schematics.

I hope they help the Realiser shine too. The speakers are the right size per room size.. I wish we could program 3 subs to the realizer for say 32.3, whatever the orientation is. The theater is the correct size and proportions for these measurements.
--The projector to the Screen-throw is just 70 or 75 feet. very appropriately sized theatre. So we are only about 15 to 22 feet from each speaker, and about 30 ft to the screen. The captures should be wonderful if executed well enough.

I hope we can make the realiser even better, greater than the sum of 24 channel over headphones, with them ...

Note: we are level matching each speaker individually, so we are not using the Digital mixer which level matches the output signal.

If I take my time, I can capture the full ranged surrounds with their subs, but, it would take a tad longer for the captures, and I would rather try without first. I don't want to have to staple the bass together because calibrating the sub is difficult.

We will capture the tei amped screen speakerz without The sub first, then add the sub for the captures.

One sub is probably enough for this experimental stage for us users.

We can yearn for a 32 or 50+ channel realiser, but I can tell you that in my experience the 24 channel is quite a bit more fun than just 16 channels..
..I have NO Doubt I been Spoilt rotten to the core by the theaters 128 Channel atmos theatre. atmos is Joy. Especially the 128 setups. Dolby REALLY DOES NOT beat around anyone in their 128 channel Setups.

By the way, I can Get captures of that too if we had programmable channels through the realiser so that we could save the prir for later.... it is too large a theater imo for just 24 channels, and the chosen speakers dispersion patterns through empty space and air in the larger, very large Theatre the 67 channel is not ideal, too big. The 128 speaker dispersion patterns are ideal for a large format room, even for 24ch.

The 128 channel-surround speakers are the best, Dolby isn't messing around for their 128 channel Atmos, ever. Dispersion field i. The large format theater is excellent, in fact. It's actually super Amazing. Been fortunate enough to see mayne 5 or 6 atmos films on the 128 channel theatre in since 2018.

I am not obsessive about atmos, I just REALLY DIG high resolution, real high Resolution media. Admire it for what the engineers like the Smyths' Put into It.

Honestly I am excited to use the realizer portably at some point. It only weighs 5.9 lb or whatever, it is light and could be made a portable well enough... once there is enough Real content. We're almost there. Just use this, and you'll get about 5 hours out of the 17 Watt Realiser. The Realiser is pretty efficient given all this lovely DSP!!
https://www.goalzero.com/shop/sherp...MI5LSH9P-r7QIVYhB9Ch2LAQK4EAQYAiABEgIE5fD_BwE
Will stream from the Cell to the DX7 Pro Ldac to realiser. Only the Balanced HD 800 Cord or electrostatic headphone cord will leave a backpack, or go direct into the realiser instead of line out. For instance... 24 channel atmos on the move... it is possible...

I go on many walks to achieve peace and personal goal setting, as well as forested hikes... rambling, but just suggesting that th realiser can be used... for around three hours with the DX7 pro.

Then charge the battery again on a 48Watt charger anywhere, or direct from the car 120V cigarette lighter at sub 5A through the 8mm input for pretty much unlimited realiser-on the go. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201130-223711_TIDAL.jpg
    Screenshot_20201130-223711_TIDAL.jpg
    993.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #10,898 of 15,985

We both can obtain captures so that a wider selection of people get the best results probable.

We are also going to capture the tri amped center right, left, etc that are at the screen. Very exciting
So exiting!
Hope this capture will make the A16 shine..
Asking about the room acoustic correction bc it can turn tricky for the direct capture..To make sure that all the frequencies reaching the A16 inner microphones are well processed by the room correction device especially the ones coming from the subs and different gains etc... The perfect and useful tool which should be used so far for these advanced captures :

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #10,899 of 15,985
A16, the work from home solution for all your future pandemics! Smyth needs to work out a way to attribute each Zoom channel to a virtual speaker, then we just have to go to the office once, record PRIRS with speakers at each sit in the office, and voila! Brenda whining from the desk on the left will feel as annoying as if we all were at the office!
"the future is now, old man."

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #10,900 of 15,985
A16, the work from home solution for all your future pandemics! Smyth needs to work out a way to attribute each Zoom channel to a virtual speaker, then we just have to go to the office once, record PRIRS with speakers at each sit in the office, and voila! Brenda whining from the desk on the left will feel as annoying as if we all were at the office!
"the future is now, old man."
You are closer to the truth than you think: IIRC, Stephen said in an interview (somewhere on YouTube) that he and and his brother wanted to develop a teleconferencing system where you could place people in a virtual room and get a sense of direction for the position from which they are speaking, and only later realised that this technique can be used to emulate a surround sound system.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #10,901 of 15,985

We are also going to capture the tri amped center right, left, etc that are at the screen. Very exciting that is not including the fourth channel, the big sub directly hooked up to those 5 channels *6 or 7 actually)

If it doesn't turn out good i will not release, and we will remeasure very soon. I am pretty sure we have it dialed in, without TOO much risk (spent last visit dialing in the calibration process.) And the theatre schematics.

I hope they help the Realiser shine too. The speakers are the right size per room size.. I wish we could program 3 subs to the realizer for say 32.3, whatever the orientation is. The theater is the correct size and proportions for these measurements.
--The projector to the Screen-throw is just 70 or 75 feet. very appropriately sized theatre. So we are only about 15 to 22 feet from each speaker, and about 30 ft to the screen. The captures should be wonderful if executed well enough.

I hope we can make the realiser even better, greater than the sum of 24 channel over headphones, with them ...

Note: we are level matching each speaker individually, so we are not using the Digital mixer which level matches the output signal.

If I take my time, I can capture the full ranged surrounds with their subs, but, it would take a tad longer for the captures, and I would rather try without first. I don't want to have to staple the bass together because calibrating the sub is difficult.

We will capture the tei amped screen speakerz without The sub first, then add the sub for the captures.

One sub is probably enough for this experimental stage for us users.

We can yearn for a 32 or 50+ channel realiser, but I can tell you that in my experience the 24 channel is quite a bit more fun than just 16 channels..
..I have NO Doubt I been Spoilt rotten to the core by the theaters 128 Channel atmos theatre. atmos is Joy. Especially the 128 setups. Dolby REALLY DOES NOT beat around anyone in their 128 channel Setups.

By the way, I can Get captures of that too if we had programmable channels through the realiser so that we could save the prir for later.... it is too large a theater imo for just 24 channels, and the chosen speakers dispersion patterns through empty space and air in the larger, very large Theatre the 67 channel is not ideal, too big. The 128 speaker dispersion patterns are ideal for a large format room, even for 24ch.

The 128 channel-surround speakers are the best, Dolby isn't messing around for their 128 channel Atmos, ever. Dispersion field i. The large format theater is excellent, in fact. It's actually super Amazing. Been fortunate enough to see mayne 5 or 6 atmos films on the 128 channel theatre in since 2018.

I am not obsessive about atmos, I just REALLY DIG high resolution, real high Resolution media. Admire it for what the engineers like the Smyths' Put into It.

Honestly I am excited to use the realizer portably at some point. It only weighs 5.9 lb or whatever, it is light and could be made a portable well enough... once there is enough Real content. We're almost there. Just use this, and you'll get about 5 hours out of the 17 Watt Realiser. The Realiser is pretty efficient given all this lovely DSP!!
https://www.goalzero.com/shop/sherp...MI5LSH9P-r7QIVYhB9Ch2LAQK4EAQYAiABEgIE5fD_BwE
Will stream from the Cell to the DX7 Pro Ldac to realiser. Only the Balanced HD 800 Cord or electrostatic headphone cord will leave a backpack, or go direct into the realiser instead of line out. For instance... 24 channel atmos on the move... it is possible...

I go on many walks to achieve peace and personal goal setting, as well as forested hikes... rambling, but just suggesting that th realiser can be used... for around three hours with the DX7 pro.

Then charge the battery again on a 48Watt charger anywhere, or direct from the car 120V cigarette lighter at sub 5A through the 8mm input for pretty much unlimited realiser-on the go. :)

Would be pretty cool to try out your measurements for that theater room. But just a suggestion, what’s the possibility of finding a dummy head to use for your measurements?... you know since each individuals heads are different and all... Perhaps that would make the measurements more universal?... kinda like how the smyths have done for their bbc rooms and such. Not sure if that’d actually make things sound any better tho, just a thought..

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #10,902 of 15,985
Will share the measurements when I have them. It may not be tomorrow. .. yet. An employee tested positive for covid, so the theatre chain is extra short staffed tomorrow etc because, and 💘 on account of CoVid. Dummy heads are no good. Human heads are better. The HD 800 dummy head profiles that come on the realiser are no good compared to any human heads, sound really "middling", irregardless, from one persons morphology to the next. Don't ask why, but I always have preferred a human head. Flesh is superior, better than rubber.

We're going to capture two or three heads in the theatre so you have choices, do not, never fear

We're each very interested in seeing how it works out

It just takes 20 seconds to do hpeq anyway, it is super simple and headphone_agnostic. The Realiser is a good Design, very easy to use. If we, there were by chance, have a short video at some point. We'll all be improved-the better, be Good, for the newest Realiser users and Owners.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #10,903 of 15,985
Will share the measurements when I have them. It may not be tomorrow. .. yet. An employee tested positive for covid, so the theatre chain is extra short staffed tomorrow etc because, and 💘 on account of CoVid. Dummy heads are no good. Human heads are better. The HD 800 dummy head profiles that come on the realiser are no good compared to any human heads, sound really "middling", irregardless, from one persons morphology to the next. Don't ask why, but I always have preferred a human head. Flesh is superior, better than rubber.

We're going to capture two or three heads in the theatre so you have choices, do not, never fear

We're each very interested in seeing how it works out

It just takes 20 seconds to do hpeq anyway, it is super simple and headphone_agnostic. The Realiser is a good Design
...we will wait for these PRIR and i also hope that they will fit for some of us bc i am still struggling to master the ManLoudEQ from the A16...
Making different captures with different head/ears profiles for the same room is a fantastic idea! Will increase PRIR matching probability..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back