Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 6, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #9,346 of 15,986
Did someone not receive the email? I haven't, so wondering if they are doing a staggered approach or if I was simply forgotten.

I didn’t receive it either. I wonder if they’re doing things regionally since it seems like the few we’ve heard of getting that email are in Europe or the UK. I’m in the US and haven’t heard anything yet. James also told me via email in April that he’d arrange shipping back to the States because of how expensive it was for us to ship our units over there. I hope that’s still the case as I’m not sure I can deal with another $400 shipping bill...

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #9,347 of 15,986
I didn’t receive it either. I wonder if they’re doing things regionally since it seems like the few we’ve heard of getting that email are in Europe or the UK. I’m in the US and haven’t heard anything yet. James also told me via email in April that he’d arrange shipping back to the States because of how expensive it was for us to ship our units over there. I hope that’s still the case as I’m not sure I can deal with another $400 shipping bill...
Since mine was for a warranty repair, return shipment should be free.

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #9,348 of 15,986
Where is his Realiser? Looks like I should get a recording of them. If I find some music that pleases me. Have to look if they have a demo sampler or s.th. like that.
It might be under his desk.:relaxed:

If anyone wants to test his/her Realiser A16 with stereo and/or 5.1 surround music, follow the link at the test bench, 2L site.
http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #9,349 of 15,986
Since mine was for a warranty repair, return shipment should be free.

That’s what I’d expect in your case for sure. For us upgrade customers we know we’re on the hook for paying for return shipping and Smyth Research originally said it was our responsibility to arrange it (seems like that’s how they’re handling the units that are being shipped back in Europe so far). When shipping my unit over there James asked me to send him tracking which I did. I told him shipping it ourselves was $350+ and he seemed shocked by that. I asked him if he could facilitate our return shipping since they can send units for $120 insured. He said they would take care of it so I have my fingers crossed that’s still the case.

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #9,350 of 15,986
Hello,

Good news, your A16 units have been upgraded and are ready to be shipped back to you.
Organising the shipping must be done by you, please use UPS.
The collection address is:

Smyth Research
James Smyth
Unit 66 Enterprise House
2-4 Balloo Avenue, Bangor
BT197QT
UK

Please remember to state that this is a 'Repaired/Return under warranty'

Shipping must be organised by Wednesday 8th July at the earliest. Once you have organised shipment please send me the appropriate shipping labels for me to print and attach to your package.

The dimensions for you shipment is the following:

Weight: 4.2kg
L:52cm
W:28cm
H:24cm

Please contact me with your shipping labels, this should also include a manifest for the delivery driver to sign when he collect your parcel from us.

Talk soon.
James

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #9,351 of 15,986
Hello,

Good news, your A16 units have been upgraded and are ready to be shipped back to you.
Organising the shipping must be done by you, please use UPS.
The collection address is:

Smyth Research
James Smyth
Unit 66 Enterprise House
2-4 Balloo Avenue, Bangor
BT197QT
UK

Please remember to state that this is a 'Repaired/Return under warranty'

Shipping must be organised by Wednesday 8th July at the earliest. Once you have organised shipment please send me the appropriate shipping labels for me to print and attach to your package.

The dimensions for you shipment is the following:

Weight: 4.2kg
L:52cm
W:28cm
H:24cm

Please contact me with your shipping labels, this should also include a manifest for the delivery driver to sign when he collect your parcel from us.

Talk soon.
James
This is the same email I got last Wednesday I believe. Delivered today via UPS within the UK. Will be a while before I get to play with it. Speedy returns to all that are waiting, be it from upgrade, repair or first time.

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #9,352 of 15,986
FYI:

The Realiser Exchange site is "down" again.
All accounts have been deleted, Stephen informed me today.
It was not yet complete, especially regarding terms of use and PRIR licensing etc.
Maybe in 1-2 weeks it will be up again.

I don't know if there will be an official announcement.
Maybe via Kickstarter update? Would make sense to me.

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #9,353 of 15,986
I have a considerable collection of music in surround sound and I count myself as a fan of the format. My personal tastes skew towards popular music and jazz, but I do have a relatively small collection of classical music that I also enjoy. There are hundreds of classical music recordings in surround sound, the majority of which are recorded and produced such that the musicians are sonically arrayed in the front speakers and ambient/reflected sound is in the rear speakers. I would recommend you to check out www.nativedsd.com for classical music in 5.1 surround sound.

Popular music, as we all know, is commonly recorded, not as a single performance but, rather, as multiple performances mixed together so as to arrive as a planned music experience. Some people are more skilled than others at mixing popular music for surround sound(Elliot Scheiner and Steven Wilson are examples of people renowned for their expertise in this area). Interestingly, Mark Waldrep’s AIX records company releases recordings that give the listener the option of hearing a live in the studio performance from either a seat in the audience or a seat on stage(I.e., from the perspective of an audience member or the perspective of one of the musicians on stage). Anyway, as @audiohobbit correctly points out, appreciation and enjoyment of musical releases so produced is a matter of personal taste. I should add that the bulk of multichannel music releases are in 4.0(from the heyday, relatively speaking, of quadraphonic sound) and 5.1. And yes, there is a micro niche of music in three channel sound(L/C/R).

Regarding music mixed for Dolby Atmos, the recordings currently available are exceptionally scarce. Once you get past R.E.M.’s “Automatic For The People” and the Beatles’ “Abbey Road,” for instance, the pickings get (IMHO) quite slim.

Jul 6, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #9,355 of 15,986
Jul 7, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #9,356 of 15,986
I'm also in the US, so either he doesn't know that or we're on our own for shipping.

Edit: Shipping this back from the UK to the US was significantly cheaper than shipping it to the UK from the US.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #9,357 of 15,986
I'm also in the US, so either he doesn't know that or we're on our own for shipping.

Edit: Shipping this back from the UK to the US was significantly cheaper than shipping it to the UK from the US.

I haven’t looked but how much cheaper are we talking?

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #9,359 of 15,986
I paid about $171 to ship it to the UK (and that was after a 40% discount from an online promo code) and only $64 to ship it back (without any promo code.) I only insured it for the Kickstarter price when I sent it, but for the Kickstarter price + upgrade fee on the return shipping.

Wow.Using which carrier? It cost me like $400 to ship to the UK via UPS, but I was insuring for the full retail amount.

Also still no email to me about my upgrade being ready. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back