Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 25, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #9,241 of 15,986
I got an answer from James :

Things are moving and the first upgraded units should be leaving in a few days... Who knows, if i'm lucky i may get mine before my summer holidays starts...

Thanks for posting this. Seems like good news for those of us who are having an upgrade done and hopefully they start cranking out units fro KS backers quickly.

Jun 25, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #9,242 of 15,986
Atmos does not only mean overhead sound.
Overhead speakers are an extension. But the basics in Atmos is the object based approach.
That's a difference.

Thanks for the considered reply. I only posted it in the Smyth thread because I know how difficult it can be to measure so many speakers for headphone use - so I wanted to ensure people that if you've only got 7 bed channels it's not a big loss.

Do you have any examples in movies you can give with Atmos bed channels vs regular Dolby channels?

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #9,243 of 15,986
Just curious if anyone has tested the new Dolby Atmos Music content on TIDAL via the A16 ? May need an Apple TV for the HDMI input...

Well, it looks like my Dolby Atmos Music on Tidal experience will have to wait until Amazon Prime Day. This article discusses hardware compatiblity requirements and it appears an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K is the most cost effective streaming option. I'm inclinded to go this route, unless anyone knows of a more affordable option for the Realiser.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #9,244 of 15,986
Hi Enrico,

Thanks for contacting us.

We started the retrofitting last Monday and the process should be complete next week.

I'll be in touch as soon as all units have been retrofitted, so it will likely be late next week.

Regards
James

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #9,245 of 15,986
Well, it looks like my Dolby Atmos Music on Tidal experience will have to wait until Amazon Prime Day. This article discusses hardware compatiblity requirements and it appears an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K is the most cost effective streaming option. I'm inclinded to go this route, unless anyone knows of a more affordable option for the Realiser.

That is good news! When I emailed Tidal about supporting Atmos output on the Apple TV 4K they said they would discuss it in their next team meeting, but I'm kind of shocked it actually happened. I guess a lot of other people must have also requested it. Plus, it gives Tidal a feature that other music streaming services don't have yet.

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #9,246 of 15,986

So how would this work? I put in the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K in my TV and then what?
I can‘t connect the Realizer to a PC via HDMI and then start Tidal on the PC and listen to Dolby Atmos via the A16?

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #9,247 of 15,986
Those of you who have registered at the Realiser Exchange, were you able to obtain the measurement done with the Smyth‘s during one of the demos. As I remember it was first promised to be on the A16 when you get it and a short while ago it was communicated that we would find these measurements at the Exchange.

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #9,248 of 15,986
So how would this work? I put in the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K in my TV and then what?
I can‘t connect the Realizer to a PC via HDMI and then start Tidal on the PC and listen to Dolby Atmos via the A16?
Won't Apple TV 4K do Tidal Atmos? Doesn't it already do Dolby Atmos for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Itunes?

Jun 27, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #9,250 of 15,986
Those of you who have registered at the Realiser Exchange, were you able to obtain the measurement done with the Smyth‘s during one of the demos. As I remember it was first promised to be on the A16 when you get it and a short while ago it was communicated that we would find these measurements at the Exchange.
As far as I can remember, at the end of my demo/measurement session at the 2017 Munich High End, I was given a code and they said my PRIR capture would be loaded to my A16 unit prior shipment. If I didn’t find that capture then I would write them using the given code.

Jun 27, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #9,251 of 15,986
I haven't received my measurement yet, but I would have been surprized, if I had. I haven't been asked for the backer number I was given, when the measurement was done, which they probably need to upload the file to my account.

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #9,252 of 15,986
As far as I can remember, at the end of my demo/measurement session at the 2017 Munich High End, I was given a code and they said my PRIR capture would be loaded to my A16 unit prior shipment. If I didn’t find that capture then I would write them using the given code.
I did not get a code but they took my email address.

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #9,254 of 15,986
Won't Apple TV 4K do Tidal Atmos? Doesn't it already do Dolby Atmos for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Itunes?

Yes... Apple TV 4K does include Atmos decode...

Tidal did NOT output Atmos from their app on Apple TV 4K. It was a limitation of the app, not the Apple TV. According to the article posted above, they are adding support for outputting Atmos now. As soon as I get my A-16 back, I'll confirm if it works yet.

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #9,255 of 15,986

That was the original plan, but they changed it. We will have to download our PRIRs from the Exchange. That part of the site does not seem to be working yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back