Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 10, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #8,536 of 15,986
I got some additional info regarding shipping the units back to Smyth Research. Still think that my method of using UPS Return shipping is fine, but I'm going to see if I can get a firm answer from UPS. The additional info from James is below:

"1.When organizing your shipment please make sure you insure your unit for the full amount you paid for it.
2. Please state that your unit is being returned for “warranty return for service/repair service”.
3.Also write “warranty return for service/repair service” on the outside of the box you're sending the unit back in.
4.And leave a paper note inside the package describing this is a “warranty return for service/repair service”

You should ask UPS if they can advise any more on this as they deal with these questions daily."

I also asked when they'd like us to ship the units back and this is their response:

"Once everyone has paid we will email all customers with a date to ship your unit.
Again we want to receive all units roughly in the same week.

I'll be in touch on the 20th April."
How can we state that our unit is being returned for “warranty return for service/repair service”, is there any option to tick on the UPS online form?
will wait for your update regarding UPS direct reply.
what s happening on the 20th April with James?

Apr 10, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #8,537 of 15,986
How can we state that our unit is being returned for “warranty return for service/repair service”, is there any option to tick on the UPS online form?
will wait for your update regarding UPS direct reply.
what s happening on the 20th April with James?

I assume that selection the UPS Return" shipping option is the way to indicate that as well as writing on the box that the unit is being sent back for "warranty service". UPS sent me a very generic response last night so I followed up trying to get some more information and clarity.

Invoices are due on April 19th so I assume that on the 20th they'll reach out to everyone who paid in full and let then know about the expectations of when we should ship our units, etc.

Apr 10, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #8,538 of 15,986
I assume that selection the UPS Return" shipping option is the way to indicate that as well as writing on the box that the unit is being sent back for "warranty service". UPS sent me a very generic response last night so I followed up trying to get some more information and clarity.

Invoices are due on April 19th so I assume that on the 20th they'll reach out to everyone who paid in full and let then know about the expectations of when we should ship our units, etc.
Ok sounds good so far

Apr 10, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #8,539 of 15,986
Ok sounds good so far

I've reached out to UPS again with very specific details of what I'm trying to ship, where it's going, and why it's being shipped in hopes that they can confirm using UPS Return shipping is correct or they can direct me on what the proper way to ship the A16 is.

Apr 10, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #8,541 of 15,986
I got some additional info regarding shipping the units back to Smyth Research. Still think that my method of using UPS Return shipping is fine, but I'm going to see if I can get a firm answer from UPS. The additional info from James is below:

"1.When organizing your shipment please make sure you insure your unit for the full amount you paid for it.
2. Please state that your unit is being returned for “warranty return for service/repair service”.
3.Also write “warranty return for service/repair service” on the outside of the box you're sending the unit back in.
4.And leave a paper note inside the package describing this is a “warranty return for service/repair service”

You should ask UPS if they can advise any more on this as they deal with these questions daily."

I also asked when they'd like us to ship the units back and this is their response:

"Once everyone has paid we will email all customers with a date to ship your unit.
Again we want to receive all units roughly in the same week.

I'll be in touch on the 20th April."
I hope I don;t have to wait that long. I shipped my unit back on Jan 29th b/c it was non operational. I was initially informed it would be shipped back with the updates at the end of March, so I'm hoping for a momentary turn around.

Apr 10, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #8,542 of 15,986
I think the verbage "warranty service" is so we don't get charged for customs...

I assume that's the case as well. Makes sense as these are already items that would have been subject to customs/duty when originally shipped to us.

Apr 10, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #8,543 of 15,986
I think you read the update slightly different than I do.

Of course some features will work differently or not at all: with the old version you won't be able to select 'eARC' as a fifth HDMI input, with the old version you won't be able to select listening mode13.1.10, etc. And maybe they will encounter things that will force them to introduce other differences, but it seems clear to me that their intention is to try to make as much as possible working on the old version as well. I would expect 'a single unified firmware update for both hardware revisions' to be something with a lot of "if ... then ... else ..." constructions (maybe not only in the actual firmware, but in the update process as well, in fact they don't say they won't write two different firmware versions, they are talking about a single firmware update), and that is encouriging because they will want to keep the differences as small as possible.
Also it would be totally berserk if they would simply 'drop' any further development for the old version, they are obliged to try to develop all the promised main features like DTS:X. If they would simply drop all that regarding the old version then all hell will break loose and some people will be visiting Northern Ireland!
I hear you. I'm not worried that adding main features won't make it onto the "legacy" A16s. My biggest concern is that some features implemented seamlessly into the upgraded A16 may lead to bug in the legacy models. In such cases, one would have to wait for/hope for the Smyth's limited(from a personnel standpoint) software decoding staff to arrive at bug fixes.

Apr 10, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #8,544 of 15,986
The follow up response I got from UPS didn't seem to be very helpful. They said you can use UPS Return service only if you have a UPS account of your own. I'm not sure if that's a personal account (which I have) or an account linked to a business. I followed up again to see if I can get some concrete answers.

James wanted me to let him know what UPS told me which I will relay to him. I do think we could for sure get somewhat reasonable return shipping to them if Smyth Research were willing to handle buying and sending us shipping labels which can be done electronically. I honestly wouldn't even mind if they upcharged me some for shipping for their time just to not have to deal with it myself.

Apr 10, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #8,545 of 15,986
The follow up response I got from UPS didn't seem to be very helpful. They said you can use UPS Return service only if you have a UPS account of your own. I'm not sure if that's a personal account (which I have) or an account linked to a business. I followed up again to see if I can get some concrete answers.

James wanted me to let him know what UPS told me which I will relay to him. I do think we could for sure get somewhat reasonable return shipping to them if Smyth Research were willing to handle buying and sending us shipping labels which can be done electronically. I honestly wouldn't even mind if they upcharged me some for shipping for their time just to not have to deal with it myself.
Yeah.. we definitely need to make sure which solution is the best and safest for our unit to be sent
will wait for update

Apr 11, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #8,546 of 15,986
I do not want to add problems to existing problems, but :
In Belgium, right now, I experienced recently deliveries (multiple times) without the possibility to sign for receipt of the goods ; the guy who delivered those goods was not obliged to make me sign electronically because of the covid-19.
He just deposited the parcel on the porch and waited until I picked it up from a safe distance.

Now my point is : what about insurance claims in case nobody is signing on anything ??? Should we be concerned when returning the Realiser A16 and/or receiving it ?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #8,547 of 15,986
Anyone after a brand new a16? I received mine and never opened it at all. Struggling whether to return for the "upgrade" as it will be more like to futureproof it for selling since I am not into headphone listening anymore and so would rather sell it now.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #8,548 of 15,986
Just as a follow up about shipping back to the UK for the upgrade. Best I can tell from UPS is that there are two options when it comes to return shipping. The ideal one would be the UPS Return method that is ~$86. However it seems like for that to actually happen, we would need Smyth Research to generate us return labels. I reached out to James with an email letting him know that, and I haven't gotten a response. So I assume that is probably off the table.

I'm assuming that leaves us on our own, which I know is what James said in his email announcing the update program. With that being the case we're on the hook for about $250 to get it A16 to the UK and I'm assuming the cost will be the same for the return leg of that journey. We are probably looking at somewhere around $500 in shipping on top of the $500 we'll pay to Smyth Research for the updated hardware. Not going to lie, that's going to sting a bit, but I'm not sure we have any other options when it comes to shipping, especially if we're trying to get our units back to the UK in a timely manner.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #8,550 of 15,986

Users who are viewing this thread

Back