Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 14, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #8,356 of 15,985
Also, I thought -all- the hardware was done and the slow rollout was due to final firmware programming and measured testing of each unit. I guess that's wrong.

That was my understanding as well - that all the required hardware was with them

Mar 15, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #8,357 of 15,985
Everybody thought the same because that’s what we were led to understand. But it seems that they have all the parts that were designed specifically for the A16 (aluminum cases, plastic parts, etc.) but they are getting the electronic parts little by little, and that’s what led to this situation. They ran out of boards to assemblerez A16´s and when they wanted to order more, the company informed them that the models they wanted are discontinued and have been replaced by new models. They had then to adapt the firmware to this new hardware.
Since it’s simply new models replacing the previous ones, Smyth Research likely buys them at a similar price than the older version, which allows them to propose the upgraded version without extra charge to customers who didn’t get their device yet, but for those who already received it, they would have to by the boards and it would have then an extra cost for SR, which they can’t afford to take at their charge.
At least that’s my vision of things.

Mar 15, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #8,358 of 15,985
That was my understanding as well - that all the required hardware was with them

Theoretically you are right. However the Kickstarter began in 2016. The HDR41Q HDMI repeater from MDS was out in 2017 : at that time this piece of hardware was top-notch. The APM89L audio decoder though was from 2014.

Should we deduce that we are good for another 3 years of upgrades or less if the future deliveries arrive later...?

Mar 15, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #8,359 of 15,985
I assumed as much back then, but I suspect they were just referring to the custom hardware (e.g. the cases including fasteners, standoffs etc., the router and analog in/out and the display board). Buying hundreds of HDMI and DSP boards only to let the manufacturer's warranty expire in the warehouse may have seemed like bad idea back then.

Mar 15, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #8,360 of 15,985
What a self important jerk.
Turns out the jerk is you. Quite ignorant, as always. It' most certainly not my money keeping the lights on at Smyth, because, as far as I know, they have basically paid me for the privilege of owning an A16, because at the lowers Kickstarter level, they are most likely making a loss (although I kind of doubt that the person making that claim here has good evidence for that).

Mar 15, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #8,361 of 15,985
Why? You can measure a full 9.1.6 (or with the new hardware version even 13.1.10 or whatever) using only your 2 front speakers, by moving yourself in different orientations relative to the speakers. In seperate PRIRs, or with "Rene Lou's recepe" in one PRIR (in one PRIR probably not for more than 9.1.6 channels, depending on how Smyth will adapt the software to the new hardware).
I tried both methods myself a few times and it works. (If you create several small PRIRs instead of one big PRIR it is less stressful, no worrying that you have to start all over again if you push a wrong button at the wrong moment. Worst case you only have to do the last step again if you make a mistake. Having to mess with more PRIR files instead of one is just a small price to pay for that in my opinion.)

[Edit: see https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/page-529#post-15433317]
It is apparant that you could create a 9.1.0 and add a 0.0.6 and put them together for a 9.1.6 room quite easily. Migtht actually be possible if youre're using mini monitors and two speaker stands with a wide adjustment range for height to raise the speakers on the second 0.0.6 PRIR and avoid some of the contortions suggested in Rene Lou's nonetheless excellent instruction set.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #8,363 of 15,985
Theoretically you are right. However the Kickstarter began in 2016. The HDR41Q HDMI repeater from MDS was out in 2017 : at that time this piece of hardware was top-notch. The APM89L audio decoder though was from 2014.

Should we deduce that we are good for another 3 years of upgrades or less if the future deliveries arrive later...?

The way I see it, it is very difficult if not impossible to make any such deductions with any accuracy. The HDMI repeaters, as you correctly point out, are upgraded with a fair amount of frequency. This, however, doesn't necessarily mean that the next upgrade will necessarily have any significant effect on the A16's functioning. Once SR has finally implemented all of the promised functions then that should, from a software standpoint, put them on track to focus on doing periodic firmware updates. That is to say, the A16 may become, like most pieces of kit, a closed hardware system.

The biggest hardware question I see is if and when they will upgrade to further HDMI standards. As @Got the Shakes points out, it would be a home run for backers/owners if the HDMI boards were to be upgraded at the same time as the rest of the hardware. However, this does not look to be in SR's plan, at least for now. Beyond that, the big issue, at least for me, is the clearly stated possibility that firmware updates down the road may not be equally functional in different hardware configurations of the A16.

At the same time, the glass is more than half full even for A16s shipped prior to April 2020 as SR has already produced a revolutionary product with amazing capabilities not available from any other company in the world for any amount of money.

Before I make my next statement, consider that, short of headphones(e.g., my Hifiman HE1000 which is now a HE1000 v2), none of the other components in my audio system have hardware and software updates available from their manufacturers; if I want to upgrade them then I have to do so by purchasing an entirely new and different piece of equipment. I know that I shouldn't admit this, particularly given all of the promised features yet to implemented, but I could live very happily for the rest of my life with the A16 as it exists in March 2020. That, of course, doesn't mean that the feature sets to be made available in future hardware and software updates is not something that I would welcome and, up to a point, be willing to pay money for.

Mar 15, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #8,364 of 15,985

To the contrary. I now imagine this could happen with other vital components of the circuitry before they ship mine. lol & argh

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #8,365 of 15,985
One example of a single collateral "damage" from the corona virus :
the french importer is delaying his trip to Ireland to train to upgrade the A16 with the new hardware.
In case anyone else was considering having Gilles perform the upgrade for an A16: he's only offering that service to people who ordered from av-in.

Mar 15, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #8,366 of 15,985
However, this does not look to be in SR's plan, at least for now. Beyond that, the big issue, at least for me, is the clearly stated possibility that firmware updates down the road may not be equally functional in different hardware configurations of the A16.
When I read that in the kickstarter update I felt a little bit uneasy for one second, but only for one second because then I realised that this remark is probably just made referring to the obvious differences in functionality of which we already know a few(!):
-With firmware running on the old hardware version we won't be able to select 'eARC' as a fifth HDMI source.
-With firmware running on the old hardware version we won't be able to render Atmos 13.1.10 or anything else beyond 9.1.6.
-Etc.

Mar 15, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #8,367 of 15,985
With firmware running on the old hardware version we won't be able to render Atmos 13.1.10 or anything else beyond 9.1.6.
Ya. Plus, I'd be amazed if anyone could tell the difference with program material. Yes, maybe can locate all speakers with distinct individual speakers playing one by one, in demo mode. But when a concert or movie is playing? Would be surprised.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #8,368 of 15,985
When I read that in the kickstarter update I felt a little bit uneasy for one second, but only for one second because then I realised that this remark is probably just made referring to the obvious differences in functionality of which we already know a few(!):
-With firmware running on the old hardware version we won't be able to select 'eARC' as a fifth HDMI source.
-With firmware running on the old hardware version we won't be able to render Atmos 13.1.10 or anything else beyond 9.1.6.
-Etc.
I'm with you on being hopeful. The key word in your reply is probably. Also, if(if) SR chooses to do this as a "one time only" offer, then the original A16 hardware is effectively devalued.

Mar 15, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #8,369 of 15,985
With the virus spreading everywhere, it will probably lead to a longer delay.
Here in France, everything is closed. I was called tonight for an emergency meeting where i was informed that the whole country will likely be quarantined within 2-3 days like in Italy and Spain, and i was told it may last 8-12 weeks (which sounds more than a lot !)
Southern Ireland already decided to close schools. For the moment, in UK Boris Johnson is taking only mild measures but big chances are he will have to take also more severe measures.

Mar 15, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #8,370 of 15,985
Here in the Netherlands as of now until (minimal) April 6th schools, bars, restaurants, coffee shops, sport clubs, and "sex clubs" (yes, really) are closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back