Smyth Research Realiser A16
Mar 14, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #8,341 of 15,986
You either have the videos in English on you tube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0yePwI_x1q8oACTVHpYxkw/videos

Or the same videos in pdf form but with French subtitles on the French forum : https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum...interview-hcfr-liens-en-post-1-t30075654.html
The subtitle was necessary at times (not always) to inform the viewer on which button to press since pdf is static.
I saw the HFR site , I was interested in the Trinnov video , unfortunately they don’t show how the signals were played back for async prir. And the last known manual is empty regarding this feature .

Mar 14, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #8,342 of 15,986
I think for the asynchronous PRIR measurement, they used the file provided by Gilles Gérin. I don’t know though why Smyth Research doesn’t provide it too. Gilles provided the file only to his customers and so far doesn’t want it to be shared with others.

Mar 14, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #8,343 of 15,986
I think for the asynchronous PRIR measurement, they used the file provided by Gilles Gérin. I don’t know though why Smyth Research doesn’t provide it too. Gilles provided the file only to his customers and so far doesn’t want it to be shared with others.
Thank you , I will write to Smyths .

Mar 14, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #8,344 of 15,986
Is it the French one ? The Kickstarter page mentions some test tone dvds and Blu rays , do they come with the device ? I’m due to receive mine early April , want to figure out the basics before that .
unfortunately they don’t show how the signals were played back for async prir.
The signals don't come on discs or any other form with the device. A complication is that you need a different file with signals for every different speaker layout. In the file will be extra signals that will inform the A16 what speaker layout is being measured, and maybe some other needed information like type of sweeps. The number of possible speaker layouts has now increased to over ninety with the new APM110 board. The original plan to put them on a disc has been dropped I think.
In the last kickstarter update Smyth writes:
6} Realiser Exchange
Other functions such as building listening rooms and constructing Async measurement files are also in development.
So there will be a function that can generate the necessary file for any choosen speaker layout.
(My interpretation is then that that functionality will be made available on the Realiser Exchange website.)

[Edit: a small number of ASYNC measurement files for a few speaker layouts, 5.1 for example, are 'out in de wild', via Gilles Gerin and his customers I think.]

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #8,346 of 15,986
Thank you . I guess work with HPEQ, Man-loud and modify a factory preset will have to do.
Why? You can measure a full 9.1.6 (or with the new hardware version even 13.1.10 or whatever) using only your 2 front speakers, by moving yourself in different orientations relative to the speakers. In seperate PRIRs, or with "Rene Lou's recepe" in one PRIR (in one PRIR probably not for more than 9.1.6 channels, depending on how Smyth will adapt the software to the new hardware).
I tried both methods myself a few times and it works. (If you create several small PRIRs instead of one big PRIR it is less stressful, no worrying that you have to start all over again if you push a wrong button at the wrong moment. Worst case you only have to do the last step again if you make a mistake. Having to mess with more PRIR files instead of one is just a small price to pay for that in my opinion.)

[Edit: see https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/page-529#post-15433317]

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #8,347 of 15,986
Why? You can measure a full 9.1.6 (or with the new hardware version even 13.1.10 or whatever) using only your 2 front speakers, by moving yourself in different orientations relative to the speakers. In seperate PRIRs, or with "Rene Lou's recepe" in one PRIR (in one PRIR probably not for more than 9.1.6 channels, depending on how Smyth will adapt the software to the new hardware).
I tried both methods myself a few times and it works. (If you create several small PRIRs instead of one big PRIR it is less stressful, no worrying that you have to start all over again if you push a wrong button at the wrong moment. Worst case you only have to do the last step again if you make a mistake. Having to mess with more PRIR files instead of one is just a small price to pay for that in my opinion.)

[Edit: see https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/page-529#post-15433317]
Will study this method in detail . I did read it earlier, there was a ton of material and I could not do justice to it.

Mar 14, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #8,348 of 15,986
Those paying to keep the lights on at Smyth Research should most certainly be ahead in the schedule.
What a self important jerk. Why is your money supposedly keeping the lights on and mine isn't? If they truly are short of money then my money has already been spent. If you jumped the queue by paying the higher price then I have absolutly no sympathy for you as there are people here that have paid and been waiting years. If you could afford $4000 for one of these the price of the upgrade is kind of trivial.

Mar 14, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #8,349 of 15,986
What a self important jerk. Why is your money supposedly keeping the lights on and mine isn't? If they truly are short of money then my money has already been spent. If you jumped the queue by paying the higher price then I have absolutly no sympathy for you as there are people here that have paid and been waiting years. If you could afford $4000 for one of these the price of the upgrade is kind of trivial.

Please let us not fight about this. It is not worth it. We are all in the same boat : those who have it and those who haven't. DO NOT FORGET that the decision to deliver those of us paying +- USD 4.000 was not taken by us, the decision was made for us.

Thank you

Mar 14, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #8,350 of 15,986
I feel bad for you and everyone who has been kept waiting so long. I am one of those line jumpers who paid $3995 USD and got my Realiser in a weeks time. It locked up and I sent it back, and will be receiving a new upgraded A16 at no extra charge. It isn't fair that so many of the backers are still waiting, but there it is. It's not about what's fair but what will keep the cash flowing so Smyth Ltd. can remain a going concern. Unfortunately, all the money the kickstarter backers and preorders paid has already been spent to bring things to this point. Any new inflows will have to come from new customers and that bumps people like me to the front of the line. And, yeah, I really don't think it's fair, but if it keeps the doors open and you get your Realiser and Smyth follows through on all its promises, perhaps you, and everyone else in your boat, might one day come to see it as a useful sacrifice on all your part. Thank you for your patience.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #8,351 of 15,986
I feel bad for you and everyone who has been kept waiting so long. I am one of those line jumpers who paid $3995 USD and got my Realiser in a weeks time. It locked up and I sent it back, and will be receiving a new upgraded A16 at no extra charge. It isn't fair that so many of the backers are still waiting, but there it is. It's not about what's fair but what will keep the cash flowing so Smyth Ltd. can remain a going concern. Unfortunately, all the money the kickstarter backers and preorders paid has already been spent to bring things to this point. Any new inflows will have to come from new customers and that bumps people like me to the front of the line. And, yeah, I really don't think it's fair, but if it keeps the doors open and you get your Realiser and Smyth follows through on all its promises, perhaps you, and everyone else in your boat, might one day come to see it as a useful sacrifice on all your part. Thank you for your patience.
Doesn't really matter how we all get the A16... sooner or later everyone will get their A16... I am just glad that we have everyone on board and supporting the Smyths development of a fantastic product... as a reminder... when the original A8 was introduced it didn't have HDMI... then as technology progressed Smyth developed the second generation A8 with HDMI... there was only one choice to upgrade to the A8 HDMI and that was to purchase a new unit ... so this time around it appears that the existing A16 has the ability to be upgraded and its the choice of the owner to exercise that option or not... I think its great that they are offering this upgrade vs us having to purchase a second generation A16 instead...
Its going to take all of us to support the Smyths during this phase... Thanks to everyone here...

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #8,352 of 15,986
Lol? There's already an upgrade? What, pray tell is that? HDMI 2.1?

(Sorry for not reading the thread! I only PEAK here to see if there is a post of what backer number is shipping these days. Else I'll want to slit my wrists if I spend much more time in this thread. 'Cuz I'm hundreds past that!)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #8,353 of 15,986
Mar 14, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #8,354 of 15,986
I do not want to add anything to the feuding,, or contribute to any fighting, but I think it is realistic to expect more of such unexpected changes, rather than less, given the highly peculiar circumstances in which we currently find ourselves, for at least two reasons (of course there might be more) :

1. The Smyths have been compelled to spread the shipping of this same A-16 unit over an unusually long time frame (most likely two years, or even more), and, given that this is an industry in which things such as formats, codecs, and other technical features evolve very quickly, one ought to expect the unexpected by way of changes in some areas of the technical functionality of the A-16 during the long shipping period--maybe essential changes that cannot always be fixed with firmware updates.

2. This is all the more so, since, as we all know, the A16 that started shipping in August of 2019, was not the finished article, in the first place... If the present version is in a kind of "beta" phase, as some have suggested, we cannot even call it a truly "finished" beta (or the beta of the completely finished or finalized item), since it is still missing vital promised features, such as DTS-X, Auro 3D, and DIRAC room correction functionalities, and until the A-16 eventually gets all such functionalities onboard, and working as they should, no one can accurately tell how many more unexpected major changes it might require, especially changes that cannot be made with mere firmware updates,

There could be even more unexpected eventualities ahead, but I do not want to simply pile it on.

Now, should the Smyths wait till all the backlog of existing shipping orders are fulfilled before beginning to implement any further changes that the A-16 might require for its completion, especially if the shipping is going to take 2 years or more to complete? I don't think that is a wise choice, since some of these changes might need hardware modifications that might require shipping the A-16 back to the manufacturer. The recall/repatriation of every single A-16 that has already been shipped, for additional hardware modifications, most likely at additional costs to both the Smyths and customers, would be a logistical nightmare for all involved, and quite a costly one at that.

For the reason stated above alone, I think the Smyths should continue working to complete the A-16, even as they're working on fulfilling their excessively long shipping timetable. With some luck, those buyers who are among the last to receive their A-16s, following this method, might also receive the finished article rather than a "beta" version (fingers-crossed), and that could serve as a kind of compensation for the long wait, as well as saving the Smyths and those customers, some avoidable additional costs.

Of course, it is also entirely possible that the last batch of buyers to receive their A-16, at some point in 2021, would still receive an unfinished beta version requiring additional firmware and hardware modifications... but that will be too bad... Just too bad to contemplate...

These are just my thoughts... I am not trying to get into any pointless fights... It is bad enough already that I cannot even reasonably expect to have my A-16 in hand any time this year (2020), to start with.

I'd rather do some group therapy BS, than fight here, on account of my missing A-16, except that I hate anything to do with group therapy

Uummm : Ladies and gents : my name is sahmen, a traumatized A-16 buying audioholic and neurotic... It has been 2 weeks since I had my last glass of whine... blah blah blah

tenor.gif
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f4132576f645538343070544a59513d3d2d3236333233373733352e313435326466353037333937306437342e676966

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #8,355 of 15,986

Users who are viewing this thread

Back