Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 16, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #8,086 of 15,986
There are 45 weeks left in 2020(which is also a leap year). That would mean approximately 400 units, not counting any units shipped since James’s meme. Eminently doable(though I wouldn’t make predictions).
You were #174 and got the email 3 weeks ago. #178 and #179 got it two weeks ago but didn't receive their unit yet (at least for #179). Since then, nobody claimed they received the email, though if to count 8 units per week, it should be reaching around #195 by now... So for sure till the end of the year it's doable, but if no unit was sent within the last two weeks, who knows... (though maybe people got the notice and simply did not say it)
For sure when i get my notice, i'll quickly post the information here to express my happiness and relief !! :sweat_smile:

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #8,087 of 15,986
For your information, I emailed "For-Tune shop" this Sunday afternoon to mention that there was something not 100% right in their description of the Realiser A16, i.e. : https://www.for-tune.de/shop/smyth-research-a16-realiser.html?language=en
...Online Exchange website for PRIR measurements...

They changed their description this Sunday into :
...future online Exchange website for PRIR measurements...

Those guys at For-Tune shop are good ! Right is right especially since we are all waiting for that.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #8,088 of 15,986
You were #174 and got the email 3 weeks ago. #178 and #179 got it two weeks ago but didn't receive their unit yet (at least for #179). Since then, nobody claimed they received the email, though if to count 8 units per week, it should be reaching around #195 by now... So for sure till the end of the year it's doable, but if no unit was sent within the last two weeks, who knows... (though maybe people got the notice and simply did not say it)
For sure when i get my notice, i'll quickly post the information here to express my happiness and relief !! :sweat_smile:
You have to also remember that most backers/buyers don’t post here OR at Kickstarter.

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #8,089 of 15,986

So I'm #178 and I got my mail on Feb 04. I replied the same day, but like #179 I don't have my A16 yet. Being an EU citizen, I hope this hasn't got anything to do with Brexit having happened on Jan 31... What is the experience of people having received their A16 already? Does one get a separate shipping notice (maybe with tracking details), or does it just get delivered without further comms from Smyth?

Another theory could be that they need parts from China which can't be delivered now due to SARS-CoV-2...?

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #8,090 of 15,986
So I'm #178 and I got my mail on Feb 04. I replied the same day, but like #179 I don't have my A16 yet. Being an EU citizen, I hope this hasn't got anything to do with Brexit having happened on Jan 31... What is the experience of people having received their A16 already? Does one get a separate shipping notice (maybe with tracking details), or does it just get delivered without further comms from Smyth?

Another theory could be that they need parts from China which can't be delivered now due to SARS-CoV-2...?
It shouldn't be connected to Brexit because according to the Brexit deal, till the end of 2020 the conditions remain as if GB was still in the EU for goods circulations.

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #8,091 of 15,986
I went to look at the Smyth Research site and stumbled accross something at the bottom of the home page under "Realiser Exchange" heading :

1581930354210.png

Was it always there ? I must have missed it because I always went to the Exchange page where nothing of the kind is available.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #8,092 of 15,986
Was it always there ? I must have missed it because I always went to the Exchange page where nothing of the kind is available.
Nothing to get excited about. A long time ago on the exchange page itself you could see a few rooms (with prices even). In the beginning it seemed Smyth had the site live online - but not ready for use - while under development. At some point they just left the static "empty" version online that is visible now. Meanwhile developing further offline (I hope).

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #8,093 of 15,986
Nothing to get excited about. A long time ago on the exchange page itself you could see a few rooms (with prices even). In the beginning it seemed Smyth had the site live online - but not ready for use - while under development. At some point they just left the static "empty" version online that is visible now. Meanwhile developing further offline (I hope).
Another one of the things on their punch list.

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #8,095 of 15,986
Sorry with my english : i'm french guy. I come back to you after having obtained at the high price from the director A16 more than 2 months ago, which had allowed me to receive in less than a week in Guadeloupe (french west indies).

However, I have only plugged in and installed it since this Sunday, partly because I was a little apprehensive about the size of the machine which is 3 x larger than the A8 (I know it may seem stupid), also afraid of being disappointed with the result and missing features. Fear of not being able to convert my prir A8 to A16..etc ...

I finally took my courage to two this weekend, and that's it!

Unfortunately, my doubts are well-founded at the moment. Unable to output 9.1.6 headphones from a HTPC, hdmi, pcm source nothing helps. I even have a funny result: only the two front channels were made on the good of 9.1.6 but as if I had just been selected the FL and FR ?!

And above all, the conversion of my personal Prir from the A8 did not pass the conversion phase, worse when displaying the presentation of the prir A8 before conversion it tells me 4ch while it is a capture in 8ch ... weird.

In short, we cannot say that it is joy. For now I keep my A8 and my Prir warm that I love so much. I prefer a good 7.1 rather than a bad 9.1.6

Therefore, I decided to sell my A16, if I cannot sell it, it will not matter, I will keep it and wait for updates for new features.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #8,096 of 15,986
Sorry with my english : i'm french guy. I come back to you after having obtained at the high price from the director A16 more than 2 months ago, which had allowed me to receive in less than a week in Guadeloupe (french west indies).

However, I have only plugged in and installed it since this Sunday, partly because I was a little apprehensive about the size of the machine which is 3 x larger than the A8 (I know it may seem stupid), also afraid of being disappointed with the result and missing features. Fear of not being able to convert my prir A8 to A16..etc ...

I finally took my courage to two this weekend, and that's it!

Unfortunately, my doubts are well-founded at the moment. Unable to output 9.1.6 headphones from a HTPC, hdmi, pcm source nothing helps. I even have a funny result: only the two front channels were made on the good of 9.1.6 but as if I had just been selected the FL and FR ?!

And above all, the conversion of my personal Prir from the A8 did not pass the conversion phase, worse when displaying the presentation of the prir A8 before conversion it tells me 4ch while it is a capture in 8ch ... weird.

In short, we cannot say that it is joy. For now I keep my A8 and my Prir warm that I love so much. I prefer a good 7.1 rather than a bad 9.1.6

Therefore, I decided to sell my A16, if I cannot sell it, it will not matter, I will keep it and wait for updates for new features.

Are you sure your audio settings on your HTPC were setup correctly for Atmos? Was Atmos for home theater selected in your sound settings and then you had an Atmos source track to test?

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #8,097 of 15,986
Did you install the latest firmware (version 1.81)? There was a problem with converting A8 PRIRs with one of the older firmware versions, I don't remember which one.

Is the A8 PRIR in the latest A8 PRIR format?
A8 files created with firmware prior to the 21 July 2011 version are saved to the SD card with names PRIR00XX.SVS and HPEQ00XX.SVS Later A8 firmware creates PRIR20XX.SVS, HPEQ20XX.SVS and PRES20XX.SVS files.
The A16 only can read the newer PRIR20XX.SVS and HPEQ20XX.SVS A8 files.

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #8,098 of 15,986
Are you sure your audio settings on your HTPC were setup correctly for Atmos? Was Atmos for home theater selected in your sound settings and then you had an Atmos source track to test?

I checked in the setting under windows and under kodi I first checked 7.1 and not Atmos. I should still have at least multichannel, which is not the case.

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #8,099 of 15,986
Did you install the latest firmware (version 1.81)? There was a problem with converting A8 PRIRs with one of the older firmware versions, I don't remember which one.

Is the A8 PRIR in the latest A8 PRIR format?
A8 files created with firmware prior to the 21 July 2011 version are saved to the SD card with names PRIR00XX.SVS and HPEQ00XX.SVS Later A8 firmware creates PRIR20XX.SVS, HPEQ20XX.SVS and PRES20XX.SVS files.
The A16 only can read the newer PRIR20XX.SVS and HPEQ20XX.SVS A8 files.

i currently have firmware 1.76. I did not update the A16 because some people on different forums have seen a conversion problem with newer firmware. Since I have nothing more to lose now, I will have to update it. For taking the prir of A8 it is the latest formats svs 20xx

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #8,100 of 15,986
i currently have firmware 1.76. I did not update the A16 because some people on different forums have seen a conversion problem with newer firmware.
The problem was in firmware version 1.80, in 1.81 it is solved.

From the document that came with 1.81:
2) In firmware revision 1.80 Dec 12 2019 a bug was introduced whereby writing a legacy A8 PRIR file from SD to the A16’s internal file store caused the A16 to halt and display a red error code 004. Error trap number 004 was introduced to check for erroneous writes to the internal memory as part of our investigation into the sluggish behaviour reported by some users. Unfortunately, this particular A8 to A16 write routine was not tested against this new trap and exceeded one of its parameters. The trap routine has been modified to allow A8 to A16 PRIR transfers.

I guess your problem is something else, but you can try 1.81 anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back