Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 21, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #7,907 of 15,986
The one with presets, audio source, etc.

I’m assuming that @audiohobbit got you squared away via PM. If not I would go to the latest FW update instructions and scroll to the bottom where it walks you through doing a full factory restore. Assuming you can get the unit to take remote commands you should be able to navigate to that and hopefully that would solve your issues.

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #7,908 of 15,986
I’m assuming that @audiohobbit got you squared away via PM. If not I would go to the latest FW update instructions and scroll to the bottom where it walks you through doing a full factory restore. Assuming you can get the unit to take remote commands you should be able to navigate to that and hopefully that would solve your issues.

Problem is the unit will not take any remote commands other than "on/off". I'm going to reinstall the firmware once again and see if that affords me an opportunity to do a factory reset. At this point such a reset would not be a big deal b/c the only thing I've put on the unit is my handle and the names of my headphones, both of which I presume reside in the temporary memory which will be erased such a reset. I don't know if anything like the Surry room et al will also be erased by a reset. Anyone know?

In any case, if that does not work and the unit won't let me do either a firmware reinstall or a factory reset, or if it still doesn't work after what I'm able to complete, I'll have no other choice but to send it back for service. Been in touch with James and he agrees that is my course of action.

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #7,909 of 15,986
Problem is the unit will not take any remote commands other than "on/off". I'm going to reinstall the firmware once again and see if that affords me an opportunity to do a factory reset. At this point such a reset would not be a big deal b/c the only thing I've put on the unit is my handle and the names of my headphones, both of which I presume reside in the temporary memory which will be erased such a reset. I don't know if anything like the Surry room et al will also be erased by a reset. Anyone know?

In any case, if that does not work and the unit won't let me do either a firmware reinstall or a factory reset, or if it still doesn't work after what I'm able to complete, I'll have no other choice but to send it back for service. Been in touch with James and he agrees that is my course of action.

The BBC and Surrey rooms will be there after a factory reset or firmware update. Any other PRIRs you capture will remain as long as you’ve moved them to the internal memory or a SD card as well. The only PRIRs or HPEQs that will be wiped are the ones residing in the temporary memory.

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #7,910 of 15,986
Received mine yesterday (backer 143). Given that my purpose is 99.9% to use stereo to stereo simulation, it wasn't too hard to set up(still no USB?). As a first try, following the PDF religiously, it's work but not mission impossibru. I felt overwhelmed at first after opening the box and that's rare for me, but using the secret technique of doing one thing at a time along with RTFM, I ended up somewhere the next day.

A few remarks:
I'm in love with the head tracking so far. I had the waves NX tracker before and it was garbage that would need to be re-centered manually all the time(and that was for the half year where it allegedly worked well). With the A16, turning ON the detection of the infrared "set-top" by setting the stabilization to "optical", can give a reference for the tracker to re-center itself all the time. So no matter how crappy the gyrothingy is and how fast it drifts away, apparently the IR led is at least one answer. it works nicely so I didn't even try other settings. Now let's see how long the little toy will last, but it's a huge relief to have good tracking as my brain really resits being fooled without it.

Navigating with the remote is so bad and basic that it somehow takes little time to get used to the logic behind it. Compared to what I could do myself, it's really clean and thorough. But compared to navigating most modern high tech devices, it's laughably archaic. The remote can glow red, it's something! ^_^

other very obvious remark, this device is the type that doesn't make one happier. It only elevates our standards and with them our expectations. It's a drug, like having a better internet speed, it takes no time to get used to it, but when we have to use the old speed, we cry or want to break stuff. I expected that as I've been climbing my way up the speaker simulation ladder over the last years. Starting with bad crossfeed, and progressively trying all sorts of stuff, including "close enough" HRTF and adding some reverb myself. The better the effect, the faster I would get used to it. With the A16 I'm like:
ON= I sometimes turn my head just to confirm that it's still working. "really nothing special, I shouldn't have paid so much for it."
OFF= "we wants it, we needs it, must have... The preciousssss!!!".

PS: now I just need to find silver audiophile cables for the head tracker.
I'll give more irrelevant feedback in a few weeks after I've tried more than 2% of what this devices can do. Or maybe you'll see me much sooner begging for help. It's an adventure.

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #7,911 of 15,986
Received mine yesterday (backer 143). Given that my purpose is 99.9% to use stereo to stereo simulation, it wasn't too hard to set up(still no USB?). As a first try, following the PDF religiously, it's work but not mission impossibru. I felt overwhelmed at first after opening the box and that's rare for me, but using the secret technique of doing one thing at a time along with RTFM, I ended up somewhere the next day.

A few remarks:
I'm in love with the head tracking so far. I had the waves NX tracker before and it was garbage that would need to be re-centered manually all the time(and that was for the half year where it allegedly worked well). With the A16, turning ON the detection of the infrared "set-top" by setting the stabilization to "optical", can give a reference for the tracker to re-center itself all the time. So no matter how crappy the gyrothingy is and how fast it drifts away, apparently the IR led is at least one answer. it works nicely so I didn't even try other settings. Now let's see how long the little toy will last, but it's a huge relief to have good tracking as my brain really resits being fooled without it.

Navigating with the remote is so bad and basic that it somehow takes little time to get used to the logic behind it. Compared to what I could do myself, it's really clean and thorough. But compared to navigating most modern high tech devices, it's laughably archaic. The remote can glow red, it's something! ^_^

other very obvious remark, this device is the type that doesn't make one happier. It only elevates our standards and with them our expectations. It's a drug, like having a better internet speed, it takes no time to get used to it, but when we have to use the old speed, we cry or want to break stuff. I expected that as I've been climbing my way up the speaker simulation ladder over the last years. Starting with bad crossfeed, and progressively trying all sorts of stuff, including "close enough" HRTF and adding some reverb myself. The better the effect, the faster I would get used to it. With the A16 I'm like:
ON= I sometimes turn my head just to confirm that it's still working. "really nothing special, I shouldn't have paid so much for it."

I'll give more irrelevant feedback in a few weeks after I've tried more than 2% of what this devices can do. Or maybe you'll see me much sooner begging for help. It's an adventure.
This device mainly provides multi-channel audio playback for headphones.I think you should try Atmos format more often.

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #7,912 of 15,986
This device mainly provides multi-channel audio playback for headphones.I think you should try Atmos format more often.
This device mainly does a wonderful simulation of speakers in a room. That it can do up to 16 speakers and decode atmos is wonderful too. You should hear the A16 when soloing one single speaker: that I find really impressive: a virtual sound source pinpoint positioned at some spot in your room a few meters away from you. I'd almost like to start collecting mono recordings to listen to over one virtual speaker! But anyway, there is much more content available in stereo than in multichannel, nothing wrong with listening to that using a stereo pair of virtual speakers in a room.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #7,914 of 15,986
My main purpose was and will be to listen to my favorite stereo albums at night on speakers. Having them virtual is only meaningful for my neighbors if we're being honest.
Multichannel, some of the surround formats for movies, or the ability to get other rooms, all that is a welcome bonus for me and of course I'm going to try everything I can, if only because I can ^_^. But it's not why I wanted an A16 in the first place.
I have spoken.jpg I have spoken

Jan 22, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #7,917 of 15,986

A few remarks:

"I felt overwhelmed at first after opening the box and that's rare for me." Nice to know that I'm not the only one that kinda feels like a monkey before The Monolith with this.

images

I got the the Realiser to accept remote commands this morning, so it looks like no trip to the UK will be necessary. However, there was a message indicating in red that I needed to "reload" preset 1.

I've decided to reload the firmware starting with 1.80, then I'll do a full factory reboot, then reload the 1.81 version, and then, if needed, address the issue with the preset.

Here I go down the learning curve, the learning curve, the learning curve
Here I go down the learning curve, so early in the morning.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #7,920 of 15,986
"I felt overwhelmed at first after opening the box and that's rare for me." Nice to know that I'm not the only one that kinda feels like a monkey before The Monolith with this.

images

I got the the Realiser to accept remote commands this morning, so it looks like no trip to the UK will be necessary. However, there was a message indicating in red that I needed to "reload" preset 1.

I've decided to reload the firmware starting with 1.80, then I'll do a full factory reboot, then reload the 1.81 version, and then, if needed, address the issue with the preset.

Here I go down the learning curve, the learning curve, the learning curve
Here I go down the learning curve, so early in the morning.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Do we know of anyone who had to send his A16 back to Ireland ? I am not into statistics, just want to know what the big unsolvable problems are. If everything is solved after a long and painful process, it is solved after all. It means that the product is not so bad even if we feel like monkeys...which we are, remember !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back