Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 20, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #7,891 of 15,951
Have you tried to disconnect the plug from the wall socket, wait a bit, reconnect and then resume your tests?
Yes, that does not work.

Jan 20, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #7,892 of 15,951
Yes, that does not work.

Try disconnecting the plug, disconnecting everything as well (HDMI, headphone, etc) and restart without those connections (HDMI, etc) and if not working restart with the connections.

Also restart as if you were doing a firmware update without doing an update, but with the SD card inserted. Starting it and powering off before flash screen, following the firmware update procedure.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #7,894 of 15,951
Also remove the SD card and see if it starts up normally without SD card (additionally to everything else unplugged).

Whats the FW version?
I've done that. I even reinstalled the firmware. I do notice a message flashes briefly at the bottom of the flash screen. I took a jpeg of it.

Firmware is 1.81 installed on 12/27/19.

Has anything like this happened to anyone? Do I need to contact James? Is this a hardware failure? I tried to reinstall the firmware and the unit let me do it, and told me the changes were successfully installed, but it is supposed to reboot at that point, and it wouldn't. After I turn it off (including unplugging it) and restart, it just stays on the screen and briefly (like 2 seconds) flashes the message below. It looks like it's telling you to depress the listed key to do a factory restart. I depressed the key after startup begins, and simultaneously with turning on the power, and nothing works either way.
I anyone has seen this and has a procedure I can follow to get the unit up, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I guess I have to contact James.

realiser sick.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #7,895 of 15,951
Yes this message seems to be normal from FW1.80 upwards.
You reinstalled 1.81 and it still stalls at the flash screen?

Did you try to press # or * during startup as the message seems to suggest?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #7,896 of 15,951
I can confirm that my unit updated to 1.81 displays that message on startup as well so I think it’s normal.

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #7,897 of 15,951
Yes this message seems to be normal from FW1.80 upwards.
You reinstalled 1.81 and it still stalls at the flash screen?

Did you try to press # or * during startup as the message seems to suggest?
In have done that. It still stalls. It's stalled right now.

Jan 20, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #7,898 of 15,951
It finally booted. Took a while. Big sigh of relief.

Jan 20, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #7,901 of 15,951
Did you do anything special or did it just happen?
I hit the "#" key when I rebooted and walked away for an hour, and noticed it went to the settings screen. Unfortunately, it is now unresponsive to remote commands. Cursor is stuck over the last letter of my username. Neither the navigation keys, the back key, the enter key, or the key that invokes the virtual speaker display do anything. For that matter, no key except the on/off key works, but it will shut off and boot to the settings page after about half an hour. Help!

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #7,902 of 15,951
I hit the "#" key when I rebooted and walked away for an hour, and noticed it went to the settings screen. Unfortunately, it is now unresponsive to remote commands. Cursor is stuck over the last letter of my username. Neither the navigation keys, the back key, the enter key, or the key that invokes the virtual speaker display do anything. For that matter, no key except the on/off key works, but it will shut off and boot to the settings page after about half an hour. Help!

Once you reboot, can you get into the settings menu or does it become unresponsive once you hit the enter button? If you can get into the settings have you tried doing a full factory restore? There is a bug I believe that is listed as a known issue where the unit can become unresponsive to the remote. I noticed it on FW 1.75 where certain menus would basically lock up my A16. It’s been fixed so far by upgrading to 1.81 and doing the factory restore. I don’t think they’ve been able to replicate the issue so they don’t know how to fix it. I’m sure it seems like you’re spinning your wheels, but I’m not sure any of us have much experience with fixing issues besides reinstalling firmware and doing a factory reset. If that doesn’t fix anything I feel like you might be at the point of needing to reach out to James.

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #7,903 of 15,951
Once you reboot, can you get into the settings menu or does it become unresponsive once you hit the enter button? If you can get into the settings have you tried doing a full factory restore? There is a bug I believe that is listed as a known issue where the unit can become unresponsive to the remote. I noticed it on FW 1.75 where certain menus would basically lock up my A16. It’s been fixed so far by upgrading to 1.81 and doing the factory restore. I don’t think they’ve been able to replicate the issue so they don’t know how to fix it. I’m sure it seems like you’re spinning your wheels, but I’m not sure any of us have much experience with fixing issues besides reinstalling firmware and doing a factory reset. If that doesn’t fix anything I feel like you might be at the point of needing to reach out to James.
The reboot puts me into the setting menu as a default. I don't do anything beyond pressing the power button to turn the unit on. If there was a way to get to the factory reset I'd jump on the opportunity. Do you know how I might be able to do that? If you have some procedure, I'd be more than happy to give it a shot.

Jan 20, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #7,904 of 15,951
The reboot puts me into the setting menu as a default. I don't do anything beyond pressing the power button to turn the unit on. If there was a way to get to the factory reset I'd jump on the opportunity. Do you know how I might be able to do that? If you have some procedure, I'd be more than happy to give it a shot.

It puts you into the menu with the presets, audio source, listening rooms, apps, files, settings, audio meters or does it put you in the menu with PRIR sound rooms, headphones, system, time, users, updates/about?

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #7,905 of 15,951
It puts you into the menu with the presets, audio source, listening rooms, apps, files, settings, audio meters or does it put you in the menu with PRIR sound rooms, headphones, system, time, users, updates/about?
The one with presets, audio source, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back