Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 18, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #7,877 of 15,951
Kind of quiet here.
No one joining the A16 owner club?
Still a bit depressed about the 44.1 kHz / 16 bit SPDIF Coax problem. While using Qobuz with my FiiO M11 this is not a problem but when using Amazon Music HD they do not allow you to set it to 44.1 / 16 bit. So you can not listen to Amazon Music HD at all via SPDIF Coax.

Old topic. No idea when Smyth Research changed things, or Amazon? But it works now. I can listen to Amazon Music ULTRA HD via the FiiO M11 SPDIF Coax to the A16. Very happy.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #7,879 of 15,951
It was quick. It looks like that you didn't have to deal with the customs clearance process?
Wondering how many A16s have been held by Smyth Research for full price purchasing...
I did have to deal with customs. I got a call and an email from both UPS and the clearinghouse, and I provided both with my SS# within minutes of receiving the request. The first request came around 11am on Thursday, and I received an email that everything had cleared around 10pm, my time. Delivered at the exact estimated time of 3pm the next day. LOL. I spent most of the day tracking the UPS delivery truck.

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #7,880 of 15,951
Funny how our north American friends here are discussing all those experiences with customs, are you mostly buying stuff which is getting produced in NA?
For me as someone often importing stuff from foreign countries it is just normal. Most often i would have to go to the customs office and fill out a lot of paperwork, give it to a cusoms clerk which will check if
everything is correct, then i would get a receipt where i would then have to go to a cashier and pay import tax. All this would take anything from 1 hour up to 3 hours depending on the time of the day.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #7,881 of 15,951
Funny how our north American friends here are discussing all those experiences with customs, are you mostly buying stuff which is getting produced in NA?
For me as someone often importing stuff from foreign countries it is just normal. Most often i would have to go to the customs office and fill out a lot of paperwork, give it to a cusoms clerk which will check if
everything is correct, then i would get a receipt where i would then have to go to a cashier and pay import tax. All this would take anything from 1 hour up to 3 hours depending on the time of the day.

Yes you are right. I also buy a lot from foreign countries from all over the world and deal with it as a matter of fact ; maybe because we are more used to it ???

Jan 18, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #7,882 of 15,951
Mostly we just buy from Amazon and let them do all the dirty work.

Jan 18, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #7,884 of 15,951
I don't know about others in NA. But A16 will be the very first item I bought directly from abroad that has a declared value of more than $2500.
Yeah, there's that too. The nice lady at the custom's house explained that any imported item g.t. $2500 USD required a tax i.d. number of the ultimate importer (in this case me) as part of the paperwork. Guess this fact explains why some people have to provide the number while others do not.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #7,885 of 15,951
Thanks for your answer @Fox1977 .
That sounds like 30-40 in a workweek. How long have they been shipping now?
How many kickstarters are there and what number ar they at now, 155?
Also seems like maybe they have a few units in inventory. My guess is that the bottleneck is flashing the firmware, testing, packing, and posting the units while shorthanded and probably working (hopefully) on other things like obtaining DTS-X/Auro 3D certification and adding further capabilites through developing more capable versions of the firmware.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #7,886 of 15,951
Have any Canadians received an A16? What was your experience with customs, if any?

Jan 19, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #7,887 of 15,951
Funny how our north American friends here are discussing all those experiences with customs, are you mostly buying stuff which is getting produced in NA? For me as someone often importing stuff from foreign countries it is just normal. Most often i would have to go to the customs office and fill out a lot of paperwork, give it to a cusoms clerk which will check if everything is correct, then i would get a receipt where i would then have to go to a cashier and pay import tax. All this would take anything from 1 hour up to 3 hours depending on the time of the day.
Just for the sake of customs procedure, it should be mentioned that for people living in the European Union, importing stuff from foreign countries actually means countries outside the EU. If a French individual buys something from a company in Greece there are no customs duties. However, if that French individual buys from a company in China, then he might need to pay VAT and import duties depending on the declared value of the imported item.

Jan 20, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #7,889 of 15,951
Don't know what's happened, but I powered the unit off, and when it powered up, it's stuck on the "Smyth Research" flash screen. I was exploring settings and personalizing my headphones, and user name, then I tried to run Test per instruction video 2, but I couldn;t get the preset with the speaker display to come up, so I powered off, and now it won;t go past the flash screen. Anyone know how to remedy this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back