Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 4, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #7,802 of 15,986
Okay, I installed Firmware (rev. 1.81 DEC 27 2019) and did the headtracker update, thermal calibration and finally the headtracker magnetic calibration.
All worked smooth. And magnetic works for me :)
I had an issue in the past days when listening to HDMI via iPad plus HDMI adapter or my Laptop, where the A16 started to be not usable at all. It still produced sound but I could not change the volume nor go in any menus. Hoping with the update this is hopefully in the past.

Jan 4, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #7,803 of 15,986
Okay, I installed Firmware (rev. 1.81 DEC 27 2019) and did the headtracker update, thermal calibration and finally the headtracker magnetic calibration.
All worked smooth. And magnetic works for me.
When you did the magnetic calibration, did you change either of the two options each giving you a choice of either (a) less accurate but faster, or (b) more accurate or slower? The factory defaults for both options were (a), i.e. less accurate but faster. Did you change either one or both options? Or did you leave them both at factory defaults?

Once you actually pushed ENTER to initiate the magnetic calibration, and started "tumbling your headphones/HT around 360 degrees in all orientations", how long did you have to do that before seeing "calibration completed" on the display screen? And the LED on the HT turned green at the end when the calibration completed, after having been red/orange during your "tumbling" as the calibration proceeded?

And was that "calibration completed" big and bold in large letters, or was it just a tiny text change on some line? In other words how long did this magnetic calibration take to complete, given whatever to options settings you went with?

As I'd previously posted I had changed both options to (b), i.e. more accurate and slower. And when I pushed ENTER and started "tumbling", it never completed. Finally after 30 minutes of this I got tired and just pushed BACK to cancel it. So I never actually completed it with these two options set to (b) more accurate but slower. I am wondering about your own experience.

Jan 4, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #7,804 of 15,986
When you did the magnetic calibration, did you change either of the two options each giving you a choice of either (a) less accurate but faster, or (b) more accurate or slower? The factory defaults for both options were (a), i.e. less accurate but faster. Did you change either one or both options? Or did you leave them both at factory defaults?

I changed both.
Magnetic error: Low
Magnetic error type: Hard+Soft

Once you actually pushed ENTER to initiate the magnetic calibration, and started "tumbling your headphones/HT around 360 degrees in all orientations", how long did you have to do that before seeing "calibration completed" on the display screen? And the LED on the HT turned green at the end when the calibration completed, after having been red/orange during your "tumbling" as the calibration proceeded?

It took between 1 - 2 minutes.
I did not look at the display as I was concentrated to turn the headphone in full rotations in 6 different angles.
Suddenly the LED on the headtracker went green. When I then looked at the display the "Calibrating" was gone.

And was that "calibration completed" big and bold in large letters, or was it just a tiny text change on some line? In other words how long did this magnetic calibration take to complete, given whatever to options settings you went with?

As stated above. I did not watch the display and it took under 2 minutes.

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #7,805 of 15,986
@audiohobbit: did you guys do your planned thing in Düsseldorf yesterday? Or maybe postponed awaiting the asynchronous sweep files?
(I read the German hifi-forum, I even made an account but I didn't trust myself to post messages in German yet, das, die, der, den, dem, deren, dessen, denen, ... makes my head spin).

Jan 4, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #7,806 of 15,986
What's the status on the A16 being able to be controlled with third party remotes like the Logitech Harmony Elite or the Sevenugs Smart Remote? Are either of these remotes fully functional with the A16 (to include thing like manLoud and PRIR capture) or even able to do the basics? Anyone know? If not, is this even on the Smyths' radar?

I have a harmony one remote and used the Smyth A8 remote settings as a base. Works for most functions except it jumps to many steps in the menus with one click. I just used the A16 remote and “updated” some of the functions that wasn’t working properly. All works great for basic operations and I love the direct access to 1-9 presets.

My latest PRIR I did works very good for localisation. But since my room is not treated, it’s less then ideal sonically. Would making a manLOUD be recommended? Or is this strictly to improve someone else’s PRIR? It seems to me that manLOUD is like a manual EQ right?

I messed around with optical input a few months ago and when paused on a DTS file this beautiful logo showed up.... (strange glitch) What is everybody’s best guess on when we will have DTS available as an update?

B4F59CC1-EF5D-4790-BE1A-34A4911964B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #7,807 of 15,986
I now have on PRESET 1 user A the BBC room with manloud ; I did the same for user B.

If I want to include a Surrey room now. How do I go about it rationally :
a) create a new PRESET, like PRESET 2 for user A
b) or create a new PRESET, like PRESET 2 for user B
c) another option ?

Do I have this right ?

Thanks

Jan 5, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #7,808 of 15,986
Do I have to let the headtracker set still at the beginning before using it.
I ask because I connected the headtracker today and it was red at the beginning. It continued to stay solid red. I even retried the magnetic calibration routine.
I talked to someone and the headphones with the headtracker just sat still. When I lookd again the light was green. Any ideas?

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #7,809 of 15,986
@audiohobbit: did you guys do your planned thing in Düsseldorf yesterday? Or maybe postponed awaiting the asynchronous sweep files?
(I read the German hifi-forum, I even made an account but I didn't trust myself to post messages in German yet, das, die, der, den, dem, deren, dessen, denen, ... makes my head spin).

pretty sure your German is much better than the Dutch of 99,9% of the Germans :wink:

Jan 5, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #7,810 of 15,986
I now have on PRESET 1 user A the BBC room with manloud ; I did the same for user B.

If I want to include a Surrey room now. How do I go about it rationally :
a) create a new PRESET, like PRESET 2 for user A
b) or create a new PRESET, like PRESET 2 for user B
c) another option ?

Do I have this right ?

Thanks
(Probably you already know, but just to make sure: the word user is used in two different ways. It can refer to the user A and B part of the A16.
Or it can refer to the - names or numbers of - the persons that uses the A16. Factory default: 8 users numbered 1..8, I guess you would want to enter your name and the names of other people that will use your A16 there.)
The default presets are all such that for user B it is the same as for user A (except that B has less settings).
I think most practical would be to follow this same principle for new presets. Like you did with PRESET 1 already as I understand it.
Because after all, from a user - in the different meaning - point of view you just want to choose one of your personal presets regardless of whether you are using the user A or B part of the A16. The link between presets and user A and B part is a bit strange and unnatural, Smyth just choose this as their way to deal with certain dependencies between the user A and B part. (I think they could have done it differently, not make presets for A and B specifically, and just ignore the extra settings of a preset that is used for the B part of the A16.)
At least that is what I make of it...

Jan 5, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #7,811 of 15,986

Oh, it's actually rather simple provided you are willing to follow these seven,... errr eight simple steps... Just watch :

Das Ding an sich!

16f6d5d728cd3d0fce468edb36fc446d.gif
08ef228c942c7b744aceb0cdd0514a58.gif
FD2829AF5F781737CADA3F3D48221847D35977E5
giphy.gif
Manipulate2.gif
breakdownlong.gif
CA_Blog_illustration_pleaseclap.gif

:):):)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #7,812 of 15,986
Do I have to let the headtracker set still at the beginning before using it.
I ask because I connected the headtracker today and it was red at the beginning. It continued to stay solid red. I even retried the magnetic calibration routine.
I talked to someone and the headphones with the headtracker just sat still. When I lookd again the light was green. Any ideas?

Still the headtracker problem with magnetic mode.
It starts after connecting to User A (User A and B are active) with red and green flashes. It then flashes green like 5 to 10 times. It then turns red. Sitting still it occasionally blinks.
After approx two minutes it turns green and is usable. Is that they way it should work?

Jan 6, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #7,813 of 15,986
Yes, manual p. 104/105.
The gyro calibrates itself to ambient temperature, it's best to leave it stationary for the first minutes until LED turns green.
Nromally it always starts with red LED. At least with optical stabilisation it works also in the first minutes but it's better to wait for green LED.

@audiohobbit: did you guys do your planned thing in Düsseldorf yesterday?
Yes we did. I was still on the road until half an hour ago. I will assess the result of this 14 hr session (!) tonight and will give a report in the next couple of days.

@You Gene: Just create a new preset for user A with a Listening room created from the Surrey room and ideally a manLOUD HPEQ you created for the room with your headphones.

The connection between user A and B has a reason: Decoding, upmixing, LipSync and few other things I'm not aware at the moment are done by the APM89L decoder, and there is only one of them in the Realiser, so this has to be done for both users and before A and B SVS processing, which is done by 2 different DSPs.

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #7,814 of 15,986
Hello,

Sorry for my bad english.

je have an A16 from two month. I use it very basiquely with PRIR from A8. I make the upgrade of the firmware without problemto the 1.75.

For the 1.81 i make the directly the upgrade from 1.75 in the same mode with the factoy reset .

First surprise my preset and listening rooms are not eliminated only user and my HEPQ.

second , i have a message in the start screen , very fast:

to start with factory setting
to start with factory setting+ HDMI suspend

unend the problem i have in red in each preset and for each HDMI source in red "HDMI!". I make the upgrade process many time with the same result.

Thank you

Christian
I see nobody reacted to your question yet. You still have problems?
I don't understand what you say here, "unend the problem":
unend the problem i have in red in each preset and for each HDMI source in red "HDMI!".

Anyway:
Did you order from Gilles Guerin? Then I suggest that you ask him (and he can ask Smyth).
Otherwise: maybe you could describe the problem more detailed in French and ask someone - on the French forum for example - to translate it to English?

Jan 6, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #7,815 of 15,986
Thank you for your interest. The problem is here. At the moment my A16 is funcionning correctly with 1.60 firmware.

I informerd Gille Guerin for the problem wih this information:

Je me permets de faire le point sur le problème et l'interprétation que j'en ai.

Problème : après avoir effectué la mise a jour 1.81 directement a partir du 1.75 en suivant la procédure déjà utilisée dans les mises a jour précédentes j'ai constaté les éléments suivants:

- tous les presets ont été conservés du 1 à 16 ce qui n'est pas normal.
- user et mon hpeq supprimé ce qui est normal.

- a partir de la même installation qu'auparavant apparition du message "HDMI!" en rouge en haut a droite sur l'écran preset sur toutes les HDMI des l'indication dans la soirée audio de HDMI.. Évidemment aucune connection ne se fait.

Les essais :

- d'abord réinstallation du 1.81 plusieurs fois avec reset usine aucun changement.

- installation du 1.60 sans reset usine: sans rien modifier tout fonctionne.

- reset usine tout fonctionne avec tous les presets qui sont restés.

- installation 1.75 défaut immédiat.

Réinstallation 1.60 tout fonctionne.

Mes conclusions:

- a moins d'un changement dans les caractéristiques internes des HDMI, l'installation externe n'est pas en cause.

- je n'ai pas de vrai reset usine ce qui peut générer un conflit logiciel.

A titre d'information la mise a jour HT s'est passé sans difficultés

I would like to take stock of the problem and my interpretation of it.

Problem: after performing the 1.81 update directly from 1.75 following the procedure already used in the previous updates I found the following:
- all the presets have been kept from 1 to 16 which is not normal. - user and my hpeq deleted which is normal.
- from the same installation as before appearance of the message "HDMI!" in red at the top right on the preset screen on all HDMI of the indication in the audio evening of HDMI .. Obviously no connection is made.
Attempts :
- first reinstallation of 1.81 several times with factory reset no change.
- installation of 1.60 without factory reset: without modifying anything everything works.
- factory reset everything works with all the presets that have remained.
- installation 1.75 immediate fault. Reinstalling 1.60 everything works.
My conclusions:
- Unless there is a change in the internal characteristics of the HDMI, the external installation is not involved.
- I don't have a real factory reset which can generate a software conflict.
For information the HT update went without difficulties (google traduction)

Thank you

Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back