Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 2, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #7,786 of 15,985
I tried to do an update for the 1st time starting from my existing 1.76 firmware to do a 1.80 firmware.

Everything went smoothly until I had to press twice the "enter" key to start the firmware update. I pushed instead twice the Power ON/OFF key by mistake...I backpedalled by pressing twice the "enter" key but nothing changed and the power indicator LED stopped blinking and remained green without blinking anymore. I waited 30 minutes just in case an update would start : nothing but the usual black screen with the red border mentioning "Realiser A16 firmware update manager". No key worked : power on/off, C, etc. I had to pull the wall plug to turn it off.

I restarted the process and duly typed twice "enter" this time but what showed next was another screen :
Firmware installation failed
uSD firmware file invalid
Place valid firmware file on uSD
Then proceed.

I pushed the cancel key to stop the firmware process and turned the A16 off. Thinking it might have been the SD card, I formatted the SD again to empty it and downloaded again the 1.80 firmware from the Smyth site. No luck, same message.

Two hours later, I tried it again with the same above-mentioned message showing on the screen.
I checked my Updates/About in the Menu/System and my firmware shows as usual the 1.76 firmware.

I cannot complain, I made a mistake...any ideas?

Bought a new SD card, formatted it, downloaded new firmware 1.80, tried a firmware update: no change
Just did a factory reset and tried a firmware update afterwards : no change

I will keep you posted.

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #7,788 of 15,985
Well ive been useing pc only. Played around with it tonight changed a few windows settings. Now im starting to get impressed. With manloud. Still L C R Speakers still high tho..Cant wait till i learn and get good prir. From a studio.

Jan 3, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #7,789 of 15,985
Hello,

Sorry for my bad english.

je have an A16 from two month. I use it very basiquely with PRIR from A8. I make the upgrade of the firmware without problemto the 1.75.

For the 1.81 i make the directly the upgrade from 1.75 in the same mode with the factoy reset .

First surprise my preset and listening rooms are not eliminated only user and my HEPQ.

second , i have a message in the start screen , very fast:

to start with factory setting
to start with factory setting+ HDMI suspend

unend the problem i have in red in each preset and for each HDMI source in red "HDMI!". I make the upgrade process many time with the same result.

Thank you

Christian

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #7,790 of 15,985
Leave the file raw. No folder try it again

I reformatted the SD card, did download the zip straight away without creating any folder. Deleted the zip and kept only the FIRMA001.SVS; the update manager showed : "no firmware update files found".

Does it mean that it can read my SD card after all?

Thanks for the tip. I want to try anything.

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #7,791 of 15,985
I reformatted the SD card, did download the zip straight away without creating any folder. Deleted the zip and kept only the FIRMA001.SVS; the update manager showed : "no firmware update files found".

You have to put the file in a folder called 'realiser' as described in the manual.

Jan 3, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #7,792 of 15,985
You have to put the file in a folder called 'realiser' as described in the manual.

I tried everything again and again... AND SUDDENLY IT WORKED...this morning and I do not know why, but does it matter? I did the 1.80 firmware revision + the HT firmware updater successfully !

James kindly sent me today a 2nd email proposing to send a SD card with the firmware in it and saying that after that I would have to send the unit back to have it checked. My thanks to him and to you all for support.

I will now try for the update to 1.81

Jan 3, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #7,793 of 15,985
So I messed around with the Harmony Hub a bit last night to mixed results. If you setup an A8 as a device (the A8 is in their database) then some functions work out of the box like the arrow and enter keys. I tried retraining the volume up and down buttons using the A16 remote and adding the “PA” button. The Hub actually said it picked up the signals it needed to train from the A16 IR remote, but the functions I trained didn’t actually work.

I’m going to try creating a totally new device and training from scratch to see if that works, but my guess is we’d have to wait to see if the A16 controls ever officially make it into the Logitech database.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #7,796 of 15,985
Hello Everyone,

Just joined Head-Fi specifically for this Realiser A16 thread!!! I've read through all 520 pages of this thread over the past week. Looking forward to sharing in the journey of this amazing device. I live in a apartment so a Subwoofer is really not acceptable to my neighbors mush less all the speakers a ATMOS setup would require. So hoping this device can save the day.

Cheers,

VT

Jan 3, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #7,797 of 15,985

100% fat32 drive. When you reformat.
All other folder gone raw file left.
Worked for me.
Try another reformat redo download. Extract again. All you can doo.

Jan 3, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #7,798 of 15,985
100% fat32 drive. When you reformat.
All other folder gone raw file left.
Worked for me.
Try another reformat redo download. Extract again. All you can doo.
XXXXXXXXxXXXX
See my post earlier :
...I tried everything again and again... AND SUDDENLY IT WORKED...this morning and I do not know why, but does it matter? I did the 1.80 firmware revision + the HT firmware updater successfully !

James kindly sent me today a 2nd email proposing to send a SD card with the firmware in it and saying that after that I would have to send the unit back to have it checked. My thanks to him and to you all for support.

I will now try for the update to 1.81...
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Finally I came to do it one more time and by the book, or should I say by the tuto. And "lo and behold", the A16 woke up and accepted my request for update !!!

That machine is a touchy bi...or should I say temperamental...

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #7,800 of 15,985
Backers 141
2/1/20
Hi,

Great news!!

Your A16 is ready to be shipped.

Can you confirm the following details:

1. Shipping address
  2. Telephone number
  3. Order details (type of unit etc)
Please get back to me ASAP.

Regards
James

Did they send the notification by email or message on Kickstarter? For some unknown reason KS has blocked my access to its website for more than one month:triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back