Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 26, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #7,682 of 15,986
"good for your age" (68) means that you will hear frequencies well below the natural hearing limit of approx. 6 - 7kHz. I recommend to you not to boost any frequencies higher than 6 - 7 kHz (this equals to all sub-bands on the right half of the screen) - just let them all at 0 and your manLOUD filter will sound better afterwards most likely.

Typical hearing limits are:
  • 10 years: approx. 18’000 Hz
  • 20 years: approx. 16’000 Hz
  • 30 years: approx. 14’000 Hz
  • 40 years: approx. 12’000 Hz
  • 50 years: approx. 10’000 Hz
  • 60 years: approx. 8’000 Hz
  • 70 years: approx. 6’000 Hz
Those limits are for an average person, based on several studies. For me at least, these limits are a near perfect match and I do not increase any sub-bands above my natural hearing limit since I hardly hear them anyway.

It is not a problem, it is just nature for all of us.

Thank you Dixter and Rene Lou :
I rewrote my preceding manLOUD (those files having the same name, best rewrite on the bad ones) based on "autoEQ" and a "flat curve" ; I did it for the BBC room...you have to start somewhere.
From 6 kHz onwards, I left the subbands at 0 as suggested. and finished with HP to save it all.
It is very slightly stronger on the right ear but it is good enough for me. I will leave it like that for the time being and start later on the Surrey room : have to do a new manLOUD I suppose?

It is like being at a movie theater!

I plan to rewatch the 3 matrix movies, years later but at home.

Dec 26, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #7,685 of 15,986
This hasnothing to do with the perecived distance of the speaker, because that is driven by room acoustics, as Stephen said the ratio between direct and reverberant sound....

Are you saying that we can not perceive the distance of sound source in an anechoic chamber?

I agree with the rest of your comments on delay. As for what Stephen said, I think he might mean that SVS hasn't yet calculated the distances between listening position and simulated speakers and automatically added the delays to those closer ones when SVS operates independently (e.g. Atmos decoding) ...

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #7,687 of 15,986
Are you saying that we can not perceive the distance of sound source in an anechoic chamber?
If the sound level is compensated for distance (that should be the case for simulated speakers in a simulated surround system) , and the sound source is straight ahead, above, behind or below you, or anywhere between those, there's absolutely no mechanism that would allow you to tell the difference. If it is anywhere to the side, the difference in sound level between your left and right ear might give you a clue, but I strongly doubt that that works at all without training.

Dec 26, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #7,688 of 15,986
Just in case anyone wanted to see an un boxing video of the A16 rack mount version...

Nice to see how small and compact the rack mount version is. I won't be rack mounting it but have the perfect place for it on my desk.

Dec 26, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #7,689 of 15,986
Just in case anyone wanted to see an un boxing video of the A16 rack mount version...

Did everyone notice that his serial number is 174? I don't know if the headstand and 2U units share the same serial number sequence, but even if they do that's 174 units in 20 weeks.

Dec 26, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #7,690 of 15,986
Did everyone notice that his serial number is 174? I don't know if the headstand and 2U units share the same serial number sequence, but even if they do that's 174 units in 20 weeks.

I got my 2U in August and it’s serial number 150. I’m not sure there’s a ton of rhyme or reason to who is getting what serial number at any given time.

Dec 26, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #7,691 of 15,986
ank

So what is the chassis made of? Out of the box, the chassis seems by far to be what impresses the reviewer the most about the A-16 unit... and, from beginning to end, he keeps returning to... La solidité de la construction... Le format costaud... La qualité absolument formidable de la caisse... blah... blah... blah... I wonder why he even bothered to open the chassis, given what little he had to say about the innards... He is praising the look of the outer case so much that you would almost think he would prefer to place the A-16 into some museum or Hall of Fame for processor constructions so that he can admire the build every day, rather than actually using it for what it was built...

To be frank, he is almost making me want to call the Smyths and switch my preference back to the 2U build, and change my headphone stand preference.

But is the 2U model that exceptional in looks and build, as the guy implies, or is he just one badly smitten Dude, who has instantly fallen in love with the cosmetics of the 2U to the point almost fetishizing it?...Is the headstand model as solidly built as the 2-U model? I fervently hope so, although I have no reason to doubt that the two formats are built using the same material, and that the vertical stand version too will equally impress.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #7,692 of 15,986
The chassis is made of solid aluminium and really is built like a tank. You see it in the video, even the top plate is no thin sheet metal but a relatively thick aluminium plate. But I have no doubts that the headstand versions aren't build as well as the 2U unit, there were even some photos somewhere (facebook?)

Christian, BTW did you have the time to watch your Star Wars to check if the atmos was playing in 9.1.6 or 7.1.4 on the A16?
Yesterday. It definitely was only 7.1.4. Front wides AND the top mid speakers where silent! I think I never encountered a normal movie Atmos track that used the front wides but there where some that used all of the 6 top speakers, I'm relatively sure about that.
Front wides playing I only heard with Atmos trailers so far. The upmixer also don't use the front wides. And with a native Atmos signal the upmixer doesn't work at all (at least with the new firmware).

Well, Stephen says that more or less. I'd say not totally impossible but very hard. You have to imagine that someone will lead you into a totaly dark anechoic room and play sound over speakers. As long as you already saw the speakers in the room, your brain would trick you so that you think you hear the distance but you already know because you've seen it.

As for what Stephen said, I think he might mean that SVS hasn't yet calculated the distances between listening position and simulated speakers and automatically added the delays to those closer ones when SVS operates independently (e.g. Atmos decoding) ...
I tend to disagree. What Stephen says is I think that he takes the beginning of the recorded impulse and adds the same delay in front of it automatically for all speakers. I could also imagine that he just eliminates this initial delay for all speakers. Your brain would never recognise this, important is only that the initial delay isthe same for all speakers.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #7,693 of 15,986
The chassis is made of solid aluminium and really is built like a tank. You see it in the video, even the top plate is no thin sheet metal but a relatively thick aluminium plate. But I have no doubts that the headstand versions aren't build as well as the 2U unit, there were even some photos somewhere (facebook?)

I have the vertical unit and the front and back aluminium plates are 4mm thick each, it is really impressive. The whole A16 as a vertical unit is solid material. But it is of course only a box covering the inside with the exclusive "copyrighted" software...

Photo :
76727004_2347580415505579_4745012733986996224_o.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #7,694 of 15,986
I have the vertical unit and the front and back aluminium plates are 4mm thick each, it is really impressive. The whole A16 as a vertical unit is solid material. But it is of course only a box covering the inside with the exclusive "copyrighted" software...

Photo :
76727004_2347580415505579_4745012733986996224_o.jpg

Very well built and thought out.... from a functional standpoint as a head phone stand it works perfectly... as does the electronics and the exclusive "copyrighted" software... your picture makes it look almost like the head of a robot... :)

Dec 27, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #7,695 of 15,986
Can subwoofers be recommended for the A16? Can someone recommend a specific model?
Implementation of Auro3D would be a really nice feature, especially for movie fans like me, because many Atmos movies sound better with Auro3D compared to the original Atmos track.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back