Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 18, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #7,561 of 15,951
It's hard to keep up with this thread (a good thing, lots of useful info) so apologies if this has been pointed out already but: didn't Smyth say they would implement a means to do this easily with a single speaker and simply moving your head, with the head tracker beeping at you to prompt you when you are at the correct angles? And without unplugging/re-plugging in the speaker a bunch of times or needing to merge 16 different PRIR's or whatever. I hope that is still in the works!
That be amazing if they where able too implement that.

Dec 18, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #7,562 of 15,951
I know this is going to sound a little off the wall but here goes. Anyone who owns Out of Your Head software already has a number of BRIRs recorded on a Smyth A8. I'm wondering if it might be possible to output program material run through OOYH to the A16, do a ManLOUD eq on it, the same way it might be done on any other BRIR, and get a good result.

After all, some of the systems Darin includes are real show stoppers (Wilson Sasha, Focal Scala, Magico Q3s and Q7s, B&W 802 D3, Jm Nova Utopia Be, and Technicolor and AIX studios). If there's some way to restoring those rooms on OOYH to full BRIR quality, that would be a proverbial gold mine for Smyth users.

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #7,563 of 15,951
Remove the microphones and - if you can - do a HPEQ (manSPK) and compare the L+R speakers with the virtual L+R speakers
Hi Rene, could you please elaborate these steps with the HPEQ...do we always need to do an autoEQ everytime we take a PRIR? what s the purpose of the manspkr HPEQ? any tutorial for it?
I have followed all your tutorial for creating 9.1.6 with stereo spkrs..managed to get it done with first attempt!

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #7,564 of 15,951
do we always need to do an autoEQ everytime we take a PRIR
No. If you have your own PRIR(s) you only need one Auto HPEQ for all of them, and this can be done totally separate. So you can go to a room, record a PRIR, and can use it at home with your headphone and your already created auto HPEQ. So you can also buy a new headphone and just do a new auto HPEQ for this headphone and use it then with your PRIRs. But these must be your own PRIRs made with your own ears. Otherwise you need a manLOUD HPEQ for the combination of specific headphone and (foreign) PRIR.

However the PRIR AND the auto HPEQ could not be one million percent accurate. Just 99%... Normally that should be enough for most. But if you have the chance to directly compare the headphone sound with the real speaker sound one may notice subtle differences, and for this one can use the manSPKR procedure to fine tune a HPEQ in combination with the PRIR of this specific speaker system. See section 9.1.3.2 in the manual.

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #7,565 of 15,951
I know this is going to sound a little off the wall but here goes. Anyone who owns Out of Your Head software already has a number of BRIRs recorded on a Smyth A8. I'm wondering if it might be possible to output program material run through OOYH to the A16, do a ManLOUD eq on it, the same way it might be done on any other BRIR, and get a good result.

After all, some of the systems Darin includes are real show stoppers (Wilson Sasha, Focal Scala, Magico Q3s and Q7s, B&W 802 D3, Jm Nova Utopia Be, and Technicolor and AIX studios). If there's some way to restoring those rooms on OOYH to full BRIR quality, that would be a proverbial gold mine for Smyth users.
Well, you would need to record the measurement sweeps of the A16 through OOYH. So you need to go into your PC with max 8 analogue channels. This should be possible with an appropriate audio interface. I discussed this once with Darin but it has not been tested yet.
Then you had to record the 2ch output with the A16. That's another problem, ideally you want to somehow connect the 2ch line output to the mic ins of the A16, BUT be WARNED: DO NOT do this directly you will kill the hardware!!!
We had to ask Smyth Research if one can electrically adapt the signals to the mic ins.

I had similar thoughts but the other way round: A16 PRIRs are not compatible with the A8. But you could record an A8 PRIR THROUGH the A16 and get max. 8 recorded speakers of the A16 to the A8. Ideally you want to record the 2ch output of the A16 with the A8 mic ins. But if even possible this must be electrically adapted.
The other way would be to do this via headphone connected to the A16 (or PC with OoYH) in your case), a flat HPEQ (I think) and the mics of the A8 (or A16 in your case) in your ears. But this would somehow degrade the signal a little bit. But maybe I'll try this some day.
I think you can also try this with OOYH and the A16, if you get the measurement sweeps into your PC.
Of course much easier would be if Darin could give you the PRIRs he made with the A8 as a basis for OOYH...

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #7,566 of 15,951

Which Speaker are you interested in... I'll see if I can make you a A16 PRIR for it...

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #7,567 of 15,951
Here are the pictures I promised, how you can create 12 speakers, one ever 30° with 2 speakers and keep the correct angle and distance and the listener in the sweet spot all the time.
We use the HT guided method to achieve the correct look angles, so the head top has to be repositioned also.
Or as I already said one can also try to rotate the head top on top of the headband of the listener and keep the set top always in the front middle.
We will try this and I try to manufacture a rotatable adapter that can be set to precise angles with an angle measurement tool ( https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000X2FU0U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

2ch_multiply_1.jpg

2ch_multiply_2.jpg

2ch_multiply_3.jpg

Dec 18, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #7,568 of 15,951
No. If you have your own PRIR(s) you only need one Auto HPEQ for all of them, and this can be done totally separate. So you can go to a room, record a PRIR, and can use it at home with your headphone and your already created auto HPEQ. So you can also buy a new headphone and just do a new auto HPEQ for this headphone and use it then with your PRIRs. But these must be your own PRIRs made with your own ears. Otherwise you need a manLOUD HPEQ for the combination of specific headphone and (foreign) PRIR.

However the PRIR AND the auto HPEQ could not be one million percent accurate. Just 99%... Normally that should be enough for most. But if you have the chance to directly compare the headphone sound with the real speaker sound one may notice subtle differences, and for this one can use the manSPKR procedure to fine tune a HPEQ in combination with the PRIR of this specific speaker system. See section 9.1.3.2 in the manual.
Thx for the info Christian,
When doing a PRIR with bookshelf type spkrs , should I set the size spk to S instead of L? If yes, is it related to the low freq cut out etc..?

Dec 18, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #7,569 of 15,951
Which Speaker are you interested in... I'll see if I can make you a A16 PRIR for it...
Magoico Q7 specifically, but if this can be developed as a general method (I'm getting my own A16 next month), then I believe it could help every A16 user.

Dec 18, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #7,570 of 15,951
Well, you would need to record the measurement sweeps of the A16 through OOYH. So you need to go into your PC with max 8 analogue channels. This should be possible with an appropriate audio interface. I discussed this once with Darin but it has not been tested yet.
Then you had to record the 2ch output with the A16. That's another problem, ideally you want to somehow connect the 2ch line output to the mic ins of the A16, BUT be WARNED: DO NOT do this directly you will kill the hardware!!!
We had to ask Smyth Research if one can electrically adapt the signals to the mic ins.

I had similar thoughts but the other way round: A16 PRIRs are not compatible with the A8. But you could record an A8 PRIR THROUGH the A16 and get max. 8 recorded speakers of the A16 to the A8. Ideally you want to record the 2ch output of the A16 with the A8 mic ins. But if even possible this must be electrically adapted.
The other way would be to do this via headphone connected to the A16 (or PC with OoYH) in your case), a flat HPEQ (I think) and the mics of the A8 (or A16 in your case) in your ears. But this would somehow degrade the signal a little bit. But maybe I'll try this some day.
I think you can also try this with OOYH and the A16, if you get the measurement sweeps into your PC.
Of course much easier would be if Darin could give you the PRIRs he made with the A8 as a basis for OOYH...
My thought exactly, but if Smyth releases synchronous PRIR recording, it would be easy enough to rip the file, play it with any digital player, port it to OOYH, use the HDMI out of your PC to port it to the A16, and do a manLoud with the input. I think it would need to be done with each OOYH speaker, but the results may be most interesting.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #7,571 of 15,951
It's hard to keep up with this thread (a good thing, lots of useful info) so apologies if this has been pointed out already but: didn't Smyth say they would implement a means to do this easily with a single speaker and simply moving your head, with the head tracker beeping at you to prompt you when you are at the correct angles? And without unplugging/re-plugging in the speaker a bunch of times or needing to merge 16 different PRIR's or whatever. I hope that is still in the works!
That was the plan indeed, but unfortunately they didn't do it yet. I sure hope they still will. It would make certain things so much easier, like I wrote a few months ago:
the A8 used every individual sweep response more effectively: for example the sweep response for looking straight at the center would also be used as the sweep response for looking at the left front speaker, and for looking straight at the right front speaker. So you didnt have to do 8 x 3 but only 12 looking angles. Currently with the A16 you would have to do 3 lookangles for every virtual speaker (to have the most basic head tracking). That is really a missed chance: with more channels and the possibility of more lookangles for 360 degrees head tracking it would have been possible with those same 12 lookangles to have 12 ear level speakers with full 360 degrees head tracking measured! To accomplish this now you would have to do 10 x 12 sweep measurements! Crazy!

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #7,573 of 15,951
How about the Magico Q3 speakers with the Enigmacoustics Sopranino Super Tweeter instead... :)
Great. Thank you. Hope I can return the favor to you someday! :=) Wow! :=)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back