Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 12, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #7,516 of 15,986
Yes I'm very relieved!
I want to watch lots of movies over the christmas holidays (starting with all StarWars movies before watching Ep. 9 in cinema). I mean I do have the A8 also but the A16 is so much better in handling etc. Don't want to go back to the A8 if I'm not forced to. Keep it as a fall-back solution though.

Dec 12, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #7,518 of 15,986
Can you recall what you did when it occurred?

For me it was definitely the first time using the Tactile settings in the Listening Room. But I couldn't recreate the event.
I think I make a factory reset or factory restore and create again my listening rooms w.o. Tactile and then start again activating the Tactile settings in the Listening Rooms.

Dec 13, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #7,522 of 15,986
Can you recall what you did when it occurred?

For me it was definitely the first time using the Tactile settings in the Listening Room. But I couldn't recreate the event.
I think I make a factory reset or factory restore and create again my listening rooms w.o. Tactile and then start again activating the Tactile settings in the Listening Rooms.

I was trying to remember what brought it on, but am unsure. It may have been just changing lots of settings, but can't recall anything specific.

I haven't heard these but they got a good review in the latest issue of Stereophile magazine. I wonder how they would pair up with an A8 or A16.

https://raalrequisite.com/sr1a-earfield-monitors/

https://raalrequisite.com/reviews/

I have a pair of these and have used them with the A16, amazing, really incredible.

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #7,523 of 15,986

I don't understand how is this supposed to work? In Tidal webpage https://tidal.com/partners/dolbyatmos there is FAQ:
Q: "Can you experience Dolby Atmos Music through headphones?"
A: "Yes, you can experience Dolby Atmos Music on TIDAL with Android device speakers and headphones."

So you can enjoy Dolby Atmos through your headphones connected to an Android device or from the speakers of the Android device? What are they thinking?

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #7,524 of 15,986
Besides Dolby Atmos through Tidal, I dare to recommend pureaudiorecordings.com, which is an online portal for releases on Pure Audio Blu-ray Disc. In addition to the shop, there is a blog section with various news and interviews about immersive audio (Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D).

Dec 14, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #7,528 of 15,986
I don't understand how is this supposed to work? In Tidal webpage https://tidal.com/partners/dolbyatmos there is FAQ:
Q: "Can you experience Dolby Atmos Music through headphones?"
A: "Yes, you can experience Dolby Atmos Music on TIDAL with Android device speakers and headphones."

So you can enjoy Dolby Atmos through your headphones connected to an Android device or from the speakers of the Android device? What are they thinking?

They likely just use a generic PRIR to convolve the DA source before steaming it in regular two channel audio format.
It is not hard to see that they will be able to use the individualized PRIR to do this in the foreseeable future....by deploying a farm of S16s along with their steaming servers :)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #7,530 of 15,986
It is great that many more are receiving their units. i hope I am wrong about this, but I am not hearing or reading enough impressions on here, especially, impressions from people who are wowed out of their minds by the A16s! Of course there is a lot that has been written about technicalities, problems, firmware, missing features, and unbearably long wait periods... in other words, problems, problems, and more problems! But how about the experience itself of having the A16 wired, locked, and loaded!

If you have your A16, how exhilarated are you by your unit? Are you entertained? Intoxicated by it? Or is it a "Meh" experience so far?

cee756ff030374f9b507aad0a3fb9d14_original.gif
60c0dd_49a73a12ce8c4d18a8f4f3a37cb26d8b~mv2.gif
2f6009_7207a22efc03460e9af494b4b76c1e5b~mv2.gif

Is it living up to the hype? By how much? What is missing, and what could be better?

01-2018_N650_Get_into_the_action_with_panoramic_sound_MB.gif

So sound off, if your unit sounds like this (above), with your headphones on, or like that (below):

14_HW-Q70R-Wireless-surround-sound-ready_MO.gif

Or like that (below):

Short version : Are you Blown away or not?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back