Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 22, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #6,977 of 15,951
I'm quite sure that most AVRs only ouput the 2ch downmix/stereo via HDMI, see the manual for that.
If your AVR can decode Atmos etc. then you could connect it via multichannel analog to the Realiser.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #6,979 of 15,951
Has anyone with both a Realiser and a home theater receiver/processor had any success placing the Realiser after the receiver? If so, what is the brand of the receiver?

I've tried the following setup, but it seems my Pioneer receiver's HDMI "passthrough" is only providing two channel audio to the Realiser.
~10 sources -> receiver -> Realiser -> TV

You likely need something like AVRKey

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #6,980 of 15,951
I'm quite sure that most AVRs only ouput the 2ch downmix/stereo via HDMI, see the manual for that.
If your AVR can decode Atmos etc. then you could connect it via multichannel analog to the Realiser.

The downmix over HDMI behavior wasn't something I could find documented anywhere. My assumption was that passthrough would send the original signal through, especially when the receiver is off / in standby.

I hadn't thought of using the multichannel analog inputs on the Realiser. I guess that's my only option unless I can find something that will pass through the original HDMI audio.

You likely need something like AVRKey

I'm not sure what this would do for me. The AVR already supports all modern formats. The problem is that it's not willing to pass those formats through its HDMI output. I have about 10 devices connected to the AVR and my intention was to use it like a switch.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #6,981 of 15,951
[/OFF]How do u delete a post ? lol[OFF]
It would be a cool feature if the mixing and matching could be done.
Exactly what I'm thinking. Because manLoud is very useful to fine tuning virtual speakers, in frequency and stereo balance over frequencies.
The PRIR of my HC is not very consistent, and manLoud is able to make it ok. But when mixing with other speakers from different PRIR, the overall balance don't work anymore.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #6,982 of 15,951
Of course a video. And please don't tarry, my A16 is coming any time soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, I don't make any videos.
And why should I? There is already an excellent video from Smyth Resarch themselves.
I will write just a few hints and tips based on that. (actually I already did)

Oct 22, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #6,984 of 15,951
Exactly what I'm thinking. Because manLoud to s very useful to fine tuning virtual speakers, in frequency and stereo balance over frequencies.
The PRIR of my HC is not very consistent, and manLoud is able to make it ok. But when mixing with other speakers from different PRIR, the overall balance don't work anymore.
If the exchange website is up and you can do what they intended to implement then you could personalise those other PRIRs that contain the top channels you need or whatever, you just have to record an own PRIR with a small speaker or even just a tweeter at those positions (azimuth and elevation) where the other speakers are, and they take this to personalise those speakers, and I think this will be better than manLOUD.

Oct 22, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #6,985 of 15,951
Sorry,

That was a joke. Only a joke! From time to time, it helps...

You Gene
There were demands for videos from the people that already have the A16 earlier in this thread and I think they meant that seriously, so I couldn't know.

Oct 22, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #6,987 of 15,951
I think the impulse response must be shifted, that is the only way for async to work as it's impossible to have the timing right by hand. It would also be the only way to combine PRIR profiles together from different systems that have different system delays. It would also be the reason you can measure in one system which has variable amount of delay, and playback in another system and have it perfect. I measured my PRIR on my dedicated stereo system with analog output (no delay) and play back in my TV room through all the HDMI stuff, etc..In fact, I'd say it must be auto shifted because there are no controls to change channel delay, meaning the A16 already makes sure every channel arrives at your ear at the exact same time relative to other channels.

In fact, I always believed that this capability is one of the big advantages of the A16 over an actual speaker system, that it can equalize all delays and volumes for all 16 channels. So each listener can have perfect delay, volume, and soundstage like they are in the prime seat of a surround system. In a speaker system, especially a small home cinema, everyone other than the prime seat will be closer to some and farther from other speakers thus getting varying volumes and delays compared to the prime seat.
No I'm still not convinced. If you record a PRIR with multiple loudspeakers and let's say for a certain reason they do have a delay relative to each other, then the Realiser should be able to capture this and not "normalize" these delays.
I am quite sure that the A8 has delay settings for every channel so you could do this manually afterwards. The A16 still lacks this. There are however distance settings when creating a listening room, I think they call it Path, but the manual says that's not active at the moment.

From the A8 manual:
DELAY
-- The Realiser provides a global delay setting in the SVS menu. (See Other Controls, Global Delay.) Here in the virtual speaker menus, each virtual speaker’s relative delay can be adjusted individually, in order to align the speaker images to equidistance -- just as one would use relative delay controls on a preamplifier or receiver to align real speakers.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #6,988 of 15,951
No I'm still not convinced. If you record a PRIR with multiple loudspeakers and let's say for a certain reason they do have a delay relative to each other, then the Realiser should be able to capture this and not "normalize" these delays.
I am quite sure that the A8 has delay settings for every channel so you could do this manually afterwards. The A16 still lacks this. There are however distance settings when creating a listening room, I think they call it Path, but the manual says that's not active at the moment.
If you are right then at this moment PRIRs made using the analog inputs with the receivers's DSP out of the signal path are also timingwise incorrect. (At least until Smyth implements the delay setting per speaker).
Maybe during their demo's Smyth positioned the active speakers equidistant to the listener's position to deal with this, that seems to fit with what I remember from my demo and from the pictures and videos I saw of demos.

Oct 22, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #6,990 of 15,951
What benefit would you expect from such a mix of delays? Essentially all recordings (movies and music) are mixed for equidistant speakers. I'm absolutely convinced that a delay will have no effect on your perception of distance of the speaker. It'll only add a comb filter effect that should not be there when a sound transitions to another speaker with a different delay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back