Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #6,016 of 15,986
Strange, the front and rear atmos speakers are different compared to the Dolby recommendations I had (mine I downloaded over a year ago I think):

Edit:
And it is still like that here:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/9.1.6-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

If you click "save page as" on the page valleynomad mentioned you get as a default file name: sell-sheet-9.1.6-mounted-config-b.pdf (note the config-b part).
I think the angles mentioned in the A16 manual are most like in this version:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/9.1.6-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #6,017 of 15,986
.....where the brain thinks that the sound from the front is coming from the rear? ...

It is known that the front-back and vertical sound localization depend more on high frequency cues which are perceived mostly via sound wave reflection from pinnae while the left-right horizontal sound localization depends more on ITD (the time difference of the arrival of sound waves at left and right ear canals) and ILD (the pressure level difference between left and right ears). The front-back reversal (or front-back confusion) occurs when there is no correct pinnae-related info in HRTF. Without that info brain just can not tell the difference between the sound waves coming from the dead center front and dead center back as the ITD and ILD are same for both of them. This happens very often when using the generic HRTF (or PRIR in Symth Realiser case)....

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #6,018 of 15,986
You know, I never really thought about this, but I could easily move it from below the tv next time I feel like measuring the room again. Wish I would have thought about it before. I’m probably not going to mess with measuring again until I either get access to a different room with a better setup or once the ability to do an asynchronous measurement is available. I really don’t want to mess with the unplugging and replugging that I need to do to measure again and the current PRIR is so much better than any surround solution I’ve listened to that I’ll probably be fine for awhile.
If you measure, say, a 7.2.4 room and then for whatever reason you don't like one of the channels, can you re-measure just that one speaker and replace it in the original PRIR? (is that what an asynchronous measurement is or is that something else?)

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #6,019 of 15,986
Strange, the front and rear atmos speakers are different compared to the Dolby recommendations I had (mine I downloaded over a year ago I think):

Edit:
And it is still like that here:

If you click "save page as" on the page valleynomad mentioned you get as a default file name: sell-sheet-9.1.6-mounted-config-b.pdf (note the config-b part).
I think the angles mentioned in the A16 manual are most like in this version:

Yes. X.Y.6 has two possible overhead placement schemes. I don't know if Atmos home theater version has different settings for them.

BTW, here is the latest Dolby Atmos® Home Theater Installation Guidelines
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technol...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #6,020 of 15,986
If you measure, say, a 7.2.4 room and then for whatever reason you don't like one of the channels, can you re-measure just that one speaker and replace it in the original PRIR? (is that what an asynchronous measurement is or is that something else?)

Asynchronous measurements to my understanding is the ability to use a disc or a device with a SD card to be able to play the sweeps to allow you to measure your whole system at once. This doesn’t require connecting the A16 to a receiver as you would instead play the sweeps through a disc player or something like a laptop connected to the receiver instead.

You can measure an individual speaker currently and then combine it with other speakers you’ve already measured. So if you didn’t like the center channel but we’re okay with all the other speakers you measured, you could remeasure the center as it’s own PRIR and that add that to a virtual room with the speakers you already measured.

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #6,021 of 15,986
Asynchronous measurements to my understanding is the ability to use a disc or a device with a SD card to be able to play the sweeps to allow you to measure your whole system at once. This doesn’t require connecting the A16 to a receiver as you would instead play the sweeps through a disc player or something like a laptop connected to the receiver instead.
That is correct.

By the way, @Got the Shakes : could you download an A8 PRIR and try to load it into the A16 from an SD card?
Here they are:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wipepbk9pbcpyeu/AACrsYVsEu37anNzOBuCpqVSa

Edit: skip the folders __Reminder…Copy not Move and [URL='https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wipepbk9pbcpyeu/AACdr7Br4LwLQBUprw6vweG2a/_SVS_Demos?dl=0']_SVS_Demos[/URL], they don't contain PRIRs

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #6,022 of 15,986
Aug 27, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #6,023 of 15,986
That is correct.

By the way, @Got the Shakes : could you download an A8 PRIR and try to load it into the A16 from an SD card?
Here they are:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wipepbk9pbcpyeu/AACrsYVsEu37anNzOBuCpqVSa

Edit: skip the folders __Reminder…Copy not Move and _SVS_Demos, they don't contain PRIRs

I tried and it doesn't look like the A16 recognizes that there are any PRIR files on the card. When in the files menu it shows 0 PRIRs on the SD card and won't let me select it. I know the card is formatted properly because it's the one I used to update the firmware.

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #6,024 of 15,986
I tried and it doesn't look like the A16 recognizes that there are any PRIR files on the card. When in the files menu it shows 0 PRIRs on the SD card and won't let me select it. I know the card is formatted properly because it's the one I used to update the firmware.
Maybe there still is a small chance that one of the two following things is the case:
1. The PRIR isn't in the properly named folder (although I assume you checked how and where you should put in on the sd card?)
2. I remember something about a naming convention for older and newer type A8 PRIRs, maybe you had an older type and the A16 can recognise the newer type.
Files created with firmware prior to the 21 July 2011 version are saved to the SD card with names PRIR00XX.SVS and HPEQ00XX.SVS and saving presets to cards was not possible. The current firmware creates PRIR20XX.SVS, HPEQ20XX.SVS and PRES20XX.SVS files.

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #6,025 of 15,986
whats the possibility that I could get a copy of any PRIR file from a A16 so I could examine it with a HEX editor... would be nice to get one that was locked and one that was not locked...

a HPEQ would be nice too... would like to compare the A16 file/header structure to the A8 files

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #6,026 of 15,986
Maybe there still is a small chance that one of the two following things is the case:
1. The PRIR isn't in the properly named folder (although I assume you checked how and where you should put in on the sd card?)
2. I remember something about a naming convention for older and newer type A8 PRIRs, maybe you had an older type and the A16 can recognise the newer type.

I'm not even sure how to figure out the proper way to name folders for the A16 because the manual doesn't make any mention of it.

whats the possibility that I could get a copy of any PRIR file from a A16 so I could examine it with a HEX editor... would be nice to get one that was locked and one that was not locked...

a HPEQ would be nice too... would like to compare the A16 file/header structure to the A8 files

I put a PRIR and HPEQ on an SD card, but it is not visible when I look at the card even with viewing hidden files enabled so I'm not sure how to help.

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #6,027 of 15,986
might try to just put in a blank SD card and put it into the A16 and then perform a backup from the A16 to the SD card... the A16 should put the files on the SD card so it can see them again if you were to use the SD card to load the files back to the A16

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #6,029 of 15,986
I put a PRIR and HPEQ on an SD card, but it is not visible when I look at the card even with viewing hidden files enabled so I'm not sure how to help.
And the A16 can see that PRIR and HPEQ on the card? Just asking to make sure they have really been copied to the SD card.

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #6,030 of 15,986
It's not actually writing them to the card for some reason. The A16 looks like it's copying them to the card, but it isn't actually doing it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back