Smyth Research Realiser A16
Nov 2, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #1,276 of 15,951
Guys, nothing to worry. I am talking about Smyth and the A16 and not the Ossic X. These Ossic X guys are not to be trusted ever again.
Coming back to Smyth, Mike Smyth wrote an email to me.
„Hi Reiner,
I'll be trying to post an update this week - but I may wait until all the samples arrive and then post some photos also. It'll probably say much the same as below. ...“
So I will not share what he wrote but I am pretty sure they will do themeselves. For me it sounded promising and allthough he did not mention a final timeline so I guess it will take the time it takes and in my honest opinion this is Q1 2018. Again Mike did not write this. It‘s just me.
BTW I have no idea why he personaly wrote me, I guess it was because I asked to times in the Kickstarter feed for an update.
So, the live and they communicate but they want to have the facts before they post.

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #1,277 of 15,951
Guys, nothing to worry. I am talking about Smyth and the A16 and not the Ossic X. These Ossic X guys are not to be trusted ever again.
Coming back to Smyth, Mike Smyth wrote an email to me.
„Hi Reiner,
I'll be trying to post an update this week - but I may wait until all the samples arrive and then post some photos also. It'll probably say much the same as below. ...“

So if I read that correctly. The parts for the samples haven't arrived yet. The samples haven't been built yet. QA and redesigns if needed haven't been done, The samples haven't been sent out for certification, certification hasn't been passed, Parts for actual orders haven't been ordered, manufactured or shipped. Units haven't been assembled and certainly haven't started shipping. Has any thing happened in the last month?

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #1,278 of 15,951
The parts for the samples haven't arrived yet. The samples haven't been built yet. QA and redesigns if needed haven't been done

That seems like the worst possible inference. It explicitly states "until all the samples arrive" - so presumably some samples have arrived and some work has been done. Friendly reminder:

What Smyth has said from the beginning said:
The Realiser A16 is still in development and certain functionality may change or be delayed due to unforeseen circumstances.

Problems ... will cause delays in manufacturing the final product, and hence delay shipping to customers

As previously discussed, the delays have been exacerbated by Smyth deciding to upgrade the A16 (at no additional cost to Kickstarter/preorder customers) to the latest, bleeding edge HDMI matrix that provides 4K HDR @ 60hz.

I'm sure Smyth are just as keen to get these units produced and shipped as their customers.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #1,279 of 15,951
Makes me glad I didn't pre-order one. Already into the fourth quarter and they don't have a working model with required certs. Seems like a long wait until samples come back, mods are made, certs finally obtained, they get their ordering, parts, and production line, rolling, and start shipping. This says nothing re the bugs that surely will surface and need to be worked out once such a complex product hits the market. Seems like we're a long, long way away from a viable, reliable,readily available product here.

And that's saying nothing about obtaining venues so customers can get PRIRs, obtaining and creating a library of BRIRs, and setting up the support needed to modify them to conform to individual HRTFs, and everything else.

This project seems a very long way from fruition.

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #1,280 of 15,951
Seems like a long wait until samples come back

For all we know remaining samples will arrive tomorrow?

This says nothing re the bugs that surely will surface and need to be worked out once such a complex product hits the market. Seems like we're a long, long way away from a viable, reliable,readily available product here.

What are you talking about? The A16 is an incremental upgrade to an existing product that exists and you can purchase right now. The A16 product exists in prototype form and is being demo'd in the real world.

And that's saying nothing about obtaining venues so customers can get PRIRs, obtaining and creating a library of BRIRs, and setting up the support needed to modify them to conform to individual HRTFs, and everything else.

If you have a venue available (ie. A studio, hifi shop demo room, your own or a friend's home theatre) then you just plug the unit in and calibrate it directly in about 5-10 minutes. That does not require comforming of BRIR libraries to individual HTRFs - the only people who need to do that are those who have no access to any surround system to calibrate against, or who want to experiment with transforming their personal profile to a studio measurement that they don't have physical access to. Most people will be able to get up and running the same week they get their unit - there's nothing to stop you taking "better" measurements at other locations again in the future (or experimenting with BRIRs)

This project seems a very long way from fruition.

Yep, past production delays mean that production delays will inevitably extend endlessly in to the future. </s>

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #1,281 of 15,951
So if I read that correctly. The parts for the samples haven't arrived yet. The samples haven't been built yet. QA and redesigns if needed haven't been done, The samples haven't been sent out for certification, certification hasn't been passed, Parts for actual orders haven't been ordered, manufactured or shipped. Units haven't been assembled and certainly haven't started shipping. Has any thing happened in the last month?
You seem to read a lot in a very short sentence.
All I read from the full (!) message Mike sent me was, were are working at all open ends and we are progressing step by step even if there are maybe setbacks.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #1,282 of 15,951
You seem to read a lot in a very short sentence.
All I read from the full (!) message Mike sent me was, were are working at all open ends and we are progressing step by step even if there are maybe setbacks.

Go back to the last update from Smyth and then read what was posted here by Richter Di. Tell me what projected accomplishments in the last Smyth update have been accomplished and you estimate of how long to do the rest of the list? I didn't pull that list of tasks out of the air or my ...

The Smyths have a communication problem of their own making.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #1,283 of 15,951
Tell me what projected accomplishments in the last Smyth update have been accomplished and you estimate of how long to do the rest of the list? I didn't pull that list of tasks out of the air or my ...
The Smyths have a communication problem of their own making.

Says you - some of us would rather get on with our lives until there is actual news from the source.

The Smyths could provide us with detailed daily information about what samples haven't arrived yet, and every pre-production task they were working on that day... Apart from consuming their time that could be spend doing productive work, would it actually make you feel any better? It'll be done when it's done. You were warned about potential production delays when you pre-ordered - well here they are. Deal with it.

Is this a twitter generation thing?

Nov 3, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,284 of 15,951
Says you - some of us would rather get on with our lives until there is actual news from the source.

The Smyths could provide us with detailed daily information about what samples haven't arrived yet, and every pre-production task they were working on that day... Apart from consuming their time that could be spend doing productive work, would it actually make you feel any better? It'll be done when it's done. You were warned about potential production delays when you pre-ordered - well here they are. Deal with it.

Is this a twitter generation thing?

Is this a shitposting generation thing? Not everyone is fine with the major lack of communication. A monthly update isn't asking for too much either, especially when that's what they claimed they were going to be giving anyway...

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #1,285 of 15,951
There is a direct correlation between how amazing a product promises to be and how long I am willing to wait to get my hands on it. This is basically an all in one home audio receiver (for headphones) that does every HDR format, every surround format, and 4K @4:4:4 60HZ, with low input lag (3m/s---and no one ever measures or reports input lag on receivers.) I am unaware of any other receiver on the market that does all of those. I am sure there will be but top end receivers sell for almost the same price as the Realiser. And that is BEFORE we get to the little feature of its headphone surround magic. Yes, an update would be nice but it's not like this is some no name company that has never released a product before. As far as risky pre-orders and kickstarters this is a lot lower on the risk scale.

If I can wait years for Winds of Winter I can wait for this device...

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #1,287 of 15,951
Im willing to wait for them to get a 95% product out that will wow me. They arent delaying purposely..they have to get it right. Certifications and changing boards late in the development process added to time but makes a better product. This is not a startup company but someone known for producing amazing products..game changers

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #1,289 of 15,951
Even if the wait is frustrating, I don't regret at all having paid a year ago 1150€ because if I had waited till the actual release, i would have had then to pay twice this price, and that would have meant no A16 for me because i wouldn't spend that much.

Nov 5, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #1,290 of 15,951
Even if the wait is frustrating, I don't regret at all having paid a year ago 1150€ because if I had waited till the actual release, i would have had then to pay twice this price, and that would have meant no A16 for me because i wouldn't spend that much.
Same here. Much more difficult to spend over 2000 EUR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back