Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 30, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #451 of 15,986
Basically, I was just running the S1 with my iPhone with Westone UM pro 30, and the audio sounded very distorted and degraded. I haven't plugged in any headphones or IEM through the headphone out ever again since, it was just unbearablely disturbing to listen to. I do not believe it can output the signal unaltered, although I have not tried it with my M2. I'm definitely quite happy now using the 2 headphone outs from my Focusrite Clarett and MrSpeakers Ether, works like a dream so I'm quite happy with that.

According to the manufacturer: "[COLOR=252525]The SubPac passes audio through to the headphones without adding or subtracting signal.  It does not act as an amplifier.  Keep this in mind when placing it in the signal chain."[/COLOR]

Maybe your unit is degrading the signal even though it is not amplifying it.

Here is the link.
https://subpac.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204475045-I-am-an-Audiophile-and-would-like-to-connect-to-my-high-end-headphone-amp-what-are-the-best-practices-in-this-case-

It also states: "[COLOR=252525]The SubPac is matched for headphone impedances 32ohms and under, which pairs it with the wide majority of headphones on the market.  For higher impedance headphone users the best practice is to split the source signal to the SubPac and use a dedicated headphone amp.[/COLOR]"

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #452 of 15,986
And here is the answer of Smyth to my question:
Hi Reiner, the measurement software in the prototype demo units is/was very basic - so bear this in mind. All the measurements and demos we've done have been with a 7.1.4 speaker rig - the four overheads are set to approx 45 degrees azimuth and height, front and back. This is one of the standard Atmos speaker setups, and the rendering engine inside the Realiser was set to this rendering mode. It's also a standard mode for DTS:X and MPEG-H, but not for Auro-3D. This is the maximum native rendering mode for Dolby Atmos or DTS:X within the Realiser at the moment - it's a limitation of the MDS audio decoding module.

So, yes, we set the Atmos rendering engine to this mode, and then made all the measurements in this mode also. Using one speaker you would have moved the speaker to these positions one after the other (or re-orientated yourself).

In a studio the sweet-spot is always where the mixer/engineer sits, so that would be the position to use for the measurement, and then pick out the speakers that correspond to the consumer positions from that seat. The engineer should know these anyway, since Atmos also uses a fixed bed of 10 channels (7.1.2 essentially) for the main sound tracks. I would recommend measuring a 9.1.6 setup in a studio if possible - this adds front wide speakers and four more overheads to the fixed 7.1.2 setup - the front wides would be at approx +/-60 degrees azimuth

I think now I get it.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #453 of 15,986
It's been nearly a week now, definitely no emails from kickstarter or Smyth, just the receipt from PayPal, probably will have to write to them. I did get the email telling me about the pre-order though.

I thought you meant that you pledged as part of the Kickstarter campaign. My email was from when the campaign ended in August. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #459 of 15,986
Jan 3, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #461 of 15,986
Now before I go and back this is I have a question. I will be using this for movies but mainly gaming from PS4 Pro and eventually PC. When using with PS4, does it output the mic through USB?

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #465 of 15,986
Why would you run this through the Smyth?
The mic needs to be connected to the PS4, doesn't it?
The headphone would be connected to the Smyth A16.

The mic uses a 3.5mm trs plug. The ps4 only accepts usb mic. Currently I am using a Turtle Beach TAC Pro for sound and mic.

Edit: I found my answer. It appears it will not be able to use standard chat functions on PS4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back