Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 14, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #61 of 15,986
Even without virtualization, I'd pay $1500 for the ability to measure my headphones, edit EQ curves with the web interface, and have them applied by the box for all my different sources. Virtualization will be the icing on the cake for me.

(I know there are less expensive ways to do two channel EQ, but I like to keep things simple because I spend my work life with computers all day.)

May 16, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #62 of 15,986
  Looking forward receiving more info about the Realiser A16 productlaunch. It's said to be availlable starting Q1 2017. I registered interest for Kickstarter campain already :wink:!

Click or email: realiser-a16@smyth-research.com

Is a kickstarter campaign already started for this?

May 16, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #63 of 15,986
May 19, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #65 of 15,986
HDMI test tones, bring on the AVR home cinema calibrations. Should open a whole range of options that we were limited to before.

Audessy - Dirac live, so many more options now. None of the new AVR's have Analogue inputs anymore.

May 20, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #66 of 15,986
Haven't been active on this forum for many years.  News of this brought me back here today.  I record live music using immersive multichannel microphone techniques, making these devices a potential holy grail for me for editing and the ability to share playback more easily with others. Experiencing the original A8 at a CanJam meet in Ft Laud back in '08 / '09 (I forget when exactly) and talking at length about the operation of the device with the Smyth brothers was an ear-opening and life changing experience.  Long wanting to pickup an A8, I'm very, very interested in A16 and finally ready to commit!

May 21, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #67 of 15,986
  Haven't been active on this forum for many years.  News of this brought me back here today.  I record live music using immersive multichannel microphone techniques, making these devices a potential holy grail for me for editing and the ability to share playback more easily with others. Experiencing the original A8 at a CanJam meet in Ft Laud back in '08 / '09 (I forget when exactly) and talking at length about the operation of the device with the Smyth brothers was an ear-opening and life changing experience.  Long wanting to pickup an A8, I'm very, very interested in A16 and finally ready to commit!

Hi Gutbucket,

if you didn't buy the A8 yet now is the time to get the next generation model, you'll get a much more sophisticated unit with better overall connectivity which was the achilles heel of the A8. Don't miss out on the kickstarter. 

May 21, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #69 of 15,986
  Interest registered. I'm sure you will still need to record PRIRs but luckily I can access a 22.2 setup...

I got a reply from Lorr, you do need to make a PRIR with the Auro3D speaker positions in order to up mix to those formats, (DTS-X, Auro3D, Atmos). But it's no problems now if you can send the test tones through HDMI.

I can easily make a 16 channel PRIR with 2 fronts and 2 heights speakers, the problem before was that the analogue inputs on the AVR's bypassed Audyssey.

IMHO, Auro 3D is much better than Atmos, I don't care much for ceiling speakers, wall mounted heights the whole way is the go for me an much easier to do. I think Auro 3D still use one ceiling speaker, but I might not use it though, hard to install.

May 21, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #70 of 15,986
@Chillzone21: the french distributor for the realiser confirmed the other day that, unfortunately, the A16 is not planning to pass the calibration signals through HDMI (perhaps because of the difficulty of encoding material to one of these surround formats, or because HDMI has no universal protocol for passing multichannel pcm).

When you mentioned above about "if you can pass the test signals through hdmi", was it directly confirmed from exchange with smyth or?

It's a pretty essential point along with pricing on my side so I hope nobody sets wrong expectations...

Arnaud

May 21, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #71 of 15,986
I asked Lorr via email.

"Question

Also would like to know if PRIR sound tones for the speakers can be passed via HDMI, because all the latest Atmos/3d AV Receivers have no analogue inputs for the realiser.

Answer:

YES "

Let's hope we get it, it would be a major step forward for me with the Realiser.

If HDMI is only 8 channel, would seem that maybe it's not possible for 16 channels?

If it is not possible, might have to go the laptop route with REW.

May 22, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #73 of 15,986
Thanks for clarifying, unfortunate the french distributor did not quite get the factuals...

Just to re-confirm, I sent a register my interest to the kickstarter email and asked the question again.

"Question:
Just to confirm, the A16 can pass the PRIR calibration sound sweeps through HDMI (not just analogue)?

Reply:
Thank you for the email. Yes both.
Regards"

Audyssey for DTS-X on the horizon with firmware update, this with the HDMI speaker calibration will be perfect for home calibrations. DTS-X is really what we want, as the majority of the Blurays are DTS-MA these days. Don't know why, must be cheaper or something.  Marantz SR6010 has 13.2 pre-outs, looking good.

Denon will start the upgrade process by unleashing the free-of-charge firmware to theAVR-X7200WA (and the AVR-X7200W as well), the AVR-X6200W, and the AVR-X4200W. Once updated, all three of these receivers will be able to run an Audyssey room-equalized DTS:X setup of up to 9.2 or even 11.2 channels (with an extra 2-channel amp).

The 9.2-channel AVR-X7200W(A) will be the first machine to get the update, starting on January 28, 2016. Upgrades for the 9.2-channel AVR-X6200W and the 7.2-channel AVR-X4200W will follow, starting February 18. If you have one of the above receivers, don’t expect to just get the update automatically. First, you’ll need to enable the “Update Notification” option in your receiver’s settings. If you have that on, just look for the notification to appear on your TV and follow the on-screen instructions.

The AVR-X7200W(A), the AVR-X6200W, and the AVR-X4200W are all selling now, priced at $2,999, $2,199 and $1,499, respectively.

More recently, Marantz announced it would also supply the DTS:X update to SR7010 and SR6010 receivers, as well as AV8802A (AV8802) and AV7702mkII preamps. As with the Denon models, once these components get the update, they will be able to run an Audyssey-equalized DTS:X setup with 9.2 or even 11.2 channels (with the 2-channel amp).

May 23, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #74 of 15,986
Update:

Dear Registrant

23 May 2016

Thank you for registering your interest in our upcoming Kickstarter campaign.

We are currently finalising our project material and should be in a position to launch sometime early July. In the meantime we hope to publish on our website a comprehensive Q&A covering the many questions that have been raised over the last few weeks and other features that are new to the A16. If you have any questions, or you need further clarification on anything already in print or in the forums, then please forward them to realiser_a16_questions@smyth-research.com and I will see that they are added to the Q&A. At the same time we also plan to publish details on our new virtual audio exchange website that will launch with the A16 in Q1 2017 but be accessible by both existing A8 and new A16 owners.

One week before the Kickstarter launch we will email you again with the launch date and a summary of our pledge and reward structure.

Thank you again

Stephen Smyth

May 26, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #75 of 15,986
I saw that they demoed the A16 with the Senn HD800 in Munich, which is quite a departure from the A8 and Stax combo. It will be interesting to see whether they even recommend a particular headphone or take a more generic approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back