Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 12, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #32 of 15,986
The real question for me is: is the new one ready to use and programmable via simple downloads or does one have to travel around the globe and go measure in the best theaters and studios to get measurements. I see no real mention of that so far.

They really need a demonstration video on YouTube or elsewhere.

May 12, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #33 of 15,986

They really need a demonstration video on YouTube or elsewhere.

Yep, I need some clarity on that matter. If it needs to be calibrated on ones own head in studios and theaters then I'm passing just like with the 8. 
If that problem is out of the way then I'd be glad to buy one right away.
Has that Kickstarter thing started already?

May 12, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #34 of 15,986
  If it needs to be calibrated on ones own head in studios and theaters then I'm passing just like with the 8.

Why would you pass it for that reason? I've been to several studios, each cost 0-70€/hour and this is only a small country. You can do it in an hour if in a pinch.

There is no way to get perfect results unless you do it yourself, simple earphysical fact. But there are huge amount of other peoples PRIRs shared on dropbox if you really want to pay lot of money for "crippled" solution.

May 12, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #35 of 15,986

Why would you pass it for that reason? I've been to several studios, each cost 0-70€/hour and this is only a small country. You can do it in an hour if in a pinch.

There is no way to get perfect results unless you do it yourself, simple earphysical fact. But there are huge amount of other peoples PRIRs shared on dropbox if you really want to pay lot of money for "crippled" solution.

Well, as far as I know from looking into the 8 long ago not many theatres offer the service. The reasliser has to be hooked up to their system, right? It's not like you go watch a movie and calibrate it meanwhile. Or do I have that all wrong?

May 12, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #36 of 15,986
  Well, as far as I know from looking into the 8 long ago not many theatres offer the service. The reasliser has to be hooked up to their system, right? It's not like you go watch a movie and calibrate it meanwhile. Or do I have that all wrong?

Nobody really goes to an actual "theatre" to do PRIRs, hassle to record and pretty gimmycky stuff with possible too much reverb. Normal users go to any places with hifi speakers, a hifi shop, music studio etc. Hooking up the equipment and doing PRIRs is very simple once you practise it few times. With A16 it should be much easier with the supposed new connections (spdif/hdmi for test signals).

Only few places offer a "service". Nobody knows about Realiser, how could they offer something for it? You simply go in, play some test tones and get out. Few studios are curious why I wanted to do it, I simply explain how Realiser works.

And again, if A16 has a working "single speaker" measurement mode, just find a single good speaker (you have, or your friend certainly have _some_ speakers available?), position it somewhere with a good sound, maybe damp the surroundings, and make a great 7.0 PRIR (maybe the new one makes even a 16 channel one).

http://www.smyth-research.com/faq.html

10.  Is there anywhere I can pay to make a measurement?
Our U.S. laboratory is located in the Los Angeles area, and we have made arrangements with several locations here: a DVD/Blu-Ray mastering studio (Mi Casa in Hollywood), an audiophile surround-sound music label (AIX in West Los Angeles), and a large cinema (the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood). Smyth staffers conduct the measurements.
At these places, we know the rooms and equipment are good, the systems are 5.1 and/or 7.1, and negotiated rates apply. But Realiser owners can certainly make their own arrangements in that most studios will admit anyone willing to pay standard rates; and other opportunities may exist such as audio retailer demonstration rooms, friends’ living rooms, etc.

May 12, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #37 of 15,986

...If it needs to be calibrated on ones own head in studios and theaters then I'm passing just like with the 8...

Unfortunately this is the only way for the realiser to work correctly. There is no other way around it.

Nobody really goes to an actual "theatre" to do PRIRs, hassle to record and pretty gimmycky stuff with possible too much reverb. Normal users go to any places with hifi speakers, a hifi shop, music studio etc. Hooking up the equipment and doing PRIRs is very simple once you practise it few times. With A16 it should be much easier with the supposed new connections (spdif/hdmi for test signals).

Only few places offer a "service". Nobody knows about Realiser, how could they offer something for it? You simply go in, play some test tones and get out. Few studios are curious why I wanted to do it, I simply explain how Realiser works......

Actually the measurement of PRIRs is basically to "copy" the characteristics of the room acoustics and sound equipment in the specific venue for later use somewhere else... Is there an elephant in the room? :wink:

.. if A16 has a working "single speaker" measurement mode, just find a single good speaker (you have, or your friend certainly have _some_ speakers available?), position it somewhere with a good sound, maybe damp the surroundings, and make a great 7.0 PRIR (maybe the new one makes even a 16 channel one)...

Position it somewhere with a good sound may not be enough. You have to put the speaker in the exact locations of those virtue speakers to be "realized" by A16. For example, you may have to put the speaker at several spots on the ceiling during measurement if you want to enjoy Dolby Atmos contents using A16.

May 12, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #38 of 15,986
  Position it somewhere with a good sound may not be enough. You have to put the speaker in the exact locations of those virtue speakers to be "realized" by A16. For example, you may have to put the speaker at several spots on the ceiling during measurement if you want to enjoy Dolby Atmos contents using A16.

We have no idea if the single speaker measurement works on A16. But if it does, I would hope one can simply record the ceiling speakers by simply looking down during that measurement. For anyone not aware, the measurement is done by sitting in a chair and simply rotating yourself at different angles around the 360 axis. The speaker obviously is never moved.

May 12, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #39 of 15,986
I love my realiser A8 (one of my best purchases ever!) and will be first in line for the A16. I already send the email to smyth stating my interest in the kickstarter campaign, but did not receive a reply. Did anybody here get a reply from smyth? I really want this kickstarter to take place and am now afraid that my email kind of got lost....

May 12, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #40 of 15,986

Interesting thoughts. But unfortunately it won't work. The measurement of PRIR has to include the entire chain between the signal driving the speaker and the signal picked in the ear cannel. It can not be done separately as you described. It is because there is no clearly defined "interface" or boundary between the ear and its environment i.e. room...

Well, it might still be possible. Speculation ON: 1) You could measure the response of your body and ear to one speaker in different positions right at your home. 2) You could measure just the speaker in your room with a mic on a tripod without yourself in the room. 3) The realiser could now take the room out of the equation (differencing between 1 and 2) and calculate a room-independet HTFR 4) The result could be applied to a measurement of a target room  (e.g. AIX) without you having to be present yourself. Speculation OFF

It's probably not easy and maybe the resulting quality is not as good as doing the direct route, but it is not theoretically impossible.

May 12, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #41 of 15,986

Yep, I need some clarity on that matter. If it needs to be calibrated on ones own head in studios and theaters then I'm passing just like with the 8. 
If that problem is out of the way then I'd be glad to buy one right away.
Has that Kickstarter thing started already?

Not on the Kickstarter campaign yet.  
When I hear that Kickstarter was mentioned, 2017 immediately comes to mind.
Right now, OOYH is what I feel is a real competitor to my A8.  Yes, many of the presets with @darinf OOYH does not work with your specific in ear geometries.  But on chance where a few does, the effects takes you to a larger venue and full 3D immersion.  Like the A8 Realiser, better headphones and head-amps will provide more accurate stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 simulation.

May 12, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #42 of 15,986

Not on the Kickstarter campaign yet.  
When I hear that Kickstarter was mentioned, 2017 immediately comes to mind.
Right now, OOYH is what I feel is a real competitor to my A8.  Yes, many of the presets with @darinf OOYH does not work with your specific in ear geometries.  But on chance where a few does, the effects takes you to a larger venue and full 3D immersion.  Like the A8 Realiser, better headphones and head-amps will provide more accurate stereo, 5.1 or 7.1 simulation.

I did try OOYH and to keep it polite I'll just say it was not my thing at all!

I backed the Ossic X kickstarter though, hope that one turns out well.

May 12, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #43 of 15,986
Besides the fact that Darin Fong in his software took peoples PRIRs that were intended for personal usage and he incorporated them into his software without asking.  When I asked him how my Egyptian Theater PRIR got into his software there was no reply.  I know it was mine because there were only two of us in the theater and I'm the only one who shared it.  Maybe he is legally fine, but otherwise, not so much.

I absolutely love my A8, have a very early one which just got repaired and is working great.  I will definitely consider this new unit.

May 12, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #44 of 15,986

I did try OOYH and to keep it polite I'll just say it was not my thing at all!

I backed the Ossic X kickstarter though, hope that one turns out well.

I backed the Ossic as well and wonders why that is not available now.  Seems the unit is ready with all the videos circulating and demos given.  Have you tried it at shows?

May 12, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #45 of 15,986

I backed the Ossic as well and wonders why that is not available now.  Seems the unit is ready with all the videos circulating and demos given.  Have you tried it at shows?

Nope, just backed the kickstarter. They met all their goals and are adding all kinds of connections.
Release date is set for 1st quarter 2017. I'm getting regular updates on their progress.
I'm not planning to use it for music, just for movies and the occasional game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back