Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 2, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #13,666 of 15,985
I think I’m not a computer illiterate. However, it’s a bit difficult for me to understand why it’s better to use a computer as a source in conjunction with a Realiser A16 unit when either a Blu-ray device or other media player might be considered for audio and video playback. Quite a lot issues caused by various incompatibilities can be avoided in this way.

Right. I have no intention of using my PC for media playback with the Realiser. I might some day use it for Atmos and gaming, but I doubt it. If I do that however, it would be with HDMI.

The reason I need to get it to work with USB is so that I can use Room EQ Wizard and view my HPEQ balance. Unless there is a simpler, more obvious way I don't know about that can instead use HDMI. AFAIK, REW needs USB communication.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #13,667 of 15,985
Jul 2, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #13,668 of 15,985
Jul 2, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #13,670 of 15,985
@Sanctuary:
There exist cheap usb audio interfaces with spdif input and output.
I bought one for around 35 Euro similar to the one below, that unfortunately is sold out, but maybe you can find something similar.
https://www.conrad.com/p/renkforce-...adphone-jacks-external-volume-control-1601924

1656785367080.png

You can connect it via spdif to the A16, and USB to the pc.
For some applications it is also possible to send audio from the pc to the A16 via HDMI, and retrieve the A16 output via SPDIF and above sound card to the pc.
I don't know whether REW allows to choose different devices for input and output, but for sure it can work with stereo in and out via above sound card.

If you can not find a cheap sound card with spdif input, you can also use the (even cheaper) Behringer U-Control UCA202 or UCA222 which has spdif out but only analog stereo in. There will be an extra DA and AD conversion in the path but (tricky to say that here outside the sound science forum) that shouldn't make a difference worth mentioning.

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #13,671 of 15,985
May be this one is more appropriate: Headphone EQ with EARS and REW
He was talking about REW from the start^_^. and purchasing the E.A.R.S just for that is a waste of good money IMO(I got one and I'm not really a fan even for actual headphone measurement purposes).
I am not sure how this would help reading an HPEQ. Unless it can be read externally outside of the A16, the A16 would still need to be connected to the PC and need to accept incoming audio, as well as output its own.
I'm guessing your issue is that you can't get the A16 as an input in REW? Why not just record the output of the A16(whichever you can) with the input of your computer's soundcard? the soundcard can be selected for sure. Or are you discussing a different issue you're having?

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #13,672 of 15,985
I'm guessing your issue is that you can't get the A16 as an input in REW? Why not just record the output of the A16(whichever you can) with the input of your computer's soundcard? the soundcard can be selected for sure. Or are you discussing a different issue you're having?

REW sends sweeps to the A16, which then sends HPEQ measurement information back. I don't know if simply having my GPU output the audio via HDMI to the A16, and then try having the A16 output to my sound card's line in would work, but I suppose I could try that, since every other option seems exhausted at this point.

Jul 2, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #13,673 of 15,985
REW sends sweeps to the A16, which then sends HPEQ measurement information back. I don't know if simply having my GPU output the audio via HDMI to the A16, and then try having the A16 output to my sound card's line in would work, but I suppose I could try that, since every other option seems exhausted at this point.
I didn't want to try because I don't have the right cables to go from the headphone out to my mic input here, but curiosity got the best of me and I plugged some 3pin stuff into some mono adapter travel thingy for science(I hope the A16 didn't mind for the few seconds it lasted).
dldlkf.jpg

I'm not totally sure what it is because of the mix-mess with the cable, but it sure is something. That to me says you can indeed record from your soundcard. Just set the input as the soundcard, and the output as the A16 in the Preferences of REW.

Jul 2, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #13,674 of 15,985
I think I’m not a computer illiterate. However, it’s a bit difficult for me to understand why it’s better to use a computer as a source in conjunction with a Realiser A16 unit when either a Blu-ray device or other media player might be considered for audio and video playback. Quite a lot issues caused by various incompatibilities can be avoided in this way.
I use the A16 primarily for listening to music. I have a significant collection of recordings ripped to my NAS drive and I also enjoy my A16 in a few different rooms of the house. I also like the idea of taking the A16 and a laptop with me on vacations.

Jul 3, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #13,675 of 15,985
I use the A16 primarily for listening to music. I have a significant collection of recordings ripped to my NAS drive and I also enjoy my A16 in a few different rooms of the house. I also like the idea of taking the A16 and a laptop with me on vacations.
I can't agree more with you for taking the A16 unit and a laptop on vacations. Maybe longer vacations and gloomy weather. When I travel for shorter vacations, I like to take with me a pair of Austrian Audio Hi-X60 headphones and a Fiio KA3 DAC/amp. No immersive music, but I can live with that.

Can’t audio recordings ripped to a NAS be played back via a media player that can pull/directly access content from the local NAS? Or is that handier using a laptop/computer?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #13,676 of 15,985
Can’t audio recordings ripped to a NAS be played back via a media player that can pull/directly access content from the local NAS?

If I am reading what he said correctly, that's what he is doing. He could just be using his laptop in various rooms as well though. Shouldn't really matter though what is being used. Playing audio from a PC/laptop could be considered the same as playing it from any media device as long as everything is running as it should. A dedicated media device is just simpler to setup since it only has one job.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #13,678 of 15,985
Here is a link to Marantz's information on Auro 3D which I found to be quite helpful. Note that the Marantz default setting for the "Auro 3D preset" (not the same thing as an A16 preset) is "small," with an upmixing strength of "10." The default settings in the A16 are "small" and "13."

https://manuals.marantz.com/AV7703/EU/EN/DRDZSYqpfuopws.php

Edit
- According to YouTuber Joentell(thanks @Litlgi74 for the link!), the Denon 4700 surround receiver has “medium” and “10” as defaults. AFAIK, Marantz and Denon are the two main companies with Auro 3D-capable receivers.

Still waiting on an invoice from James to purchase the Auro 3D upgrade.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #13,679 of 15,985
I’m now 8 days out from my 3D Soundshop in person PRIR capture with 3D SS proprietor/A16 whisperer John Teixeira. If anyone is at all thinking about traveling to New Jersey for an in person PRIR measurement, my advice to you would be to “run, don’t walk” and most definitely do it!

I arrived to the studio in Lyndhurst, NJ(less than 15 minutes outside of Newark, NJ) at 10 a.m. and left hours later with a host of meticulously captured measurements that afforded me awesome A16 virtual listening experiences in PCM, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos AND Auro 3D(!). I now have an unimaginable collection of listening rooms ranging from stereo to 5.1 and 7.1, to 13.1 Auro 3D to 12.1.10 Dolby Atmos. Prior to meeting John, we had several phone, text and email conversations in preparation for my visit. He asked for various pieces of information, such as the distance from the floor to my ear while sitting and standing, in addition to asking what my goals were for the session. It came as no surprise to me that John was the same genuinely thoughtful, professional and A16 obsessed person that I had gotten to know in our previous interactions.

Once we started to gear up to take the measurements, the first thing that impressed me was just how exacting the process was in just the placement of the microphones in my ear canals. TBH, I can’t imagine how even that part of the process could have been so precisely done with just me working alone with a handheld mirror. Next up, John tested my in ear microphones to make sure that they were working well(they were) before proceeding with taking the measurements. With each measurement, he made sure that the head tracker and set top device were perfectly aligned before beginning what proved to be a multitude of individual capture angles. The speaker angles, of course, were all dead on according to 5.1, 7.1, Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D official specs, as John did perfect speaker angle setups and calibrations before getting started with each series of captures. Along the way, he also did perfect HPEQ measurements for my two sets of headphones, a modified Sennheiser HD800 and Hifiman HE1000v2, respectively.

John’s follow up with me since then has been above and beyond, which apparently, is the only way that John knows to be in providing exemplary customer service and support. As John predicted, I started out as a client and left as a friend. To steal a quote from “This Is Spinal Tap,” John and 3D Soundshop go up to 11!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #13,680 of 15,985
I’m now 8 days out from my 3D Soundshop in person PRIR capture with 3D SS proprietor/A16 whisperer John Teixeira. If anyone is at all thinking about traveling to New Jersey for an in person PRIR measurement, my advice to you would be to “run, don’t walk“ and most definitely do it!

I arrived to the studio in Lyndhurst, NJ(less than 15 minutes outside of Newark, NJ) at 10 a.m. and left hours later with a host of meticulously captured measurements that afforded me awesome A16 virtual listening experiences in PCM, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos AND Auro 3D(!). I know have an unimaginable collection of listening rooms ranging from stereo to 5.1 and 7.1, to 13.1 Auro 3D to 12.1.10 Dolby Atmos. Prior to meeting John, we had several phone, text and email conversations in preparation for my visit. He asked for various pieces of information, such as the distance from the floor to my ear while sitting and standing, in addition to asking what my goals were for the session. It came as no surprise to me that John was the same genuinely thoughtful, professional and A16 obsessed person that I had gotten to know in our previous interactions.

Once we started to gear up to take the measurements, the first thing that impressed me was just how exacting the process was in just the placement of the microphones in my ear canals. TBH, I can’t imagine how even that part of the process could have been so precisely done with just me working alone with a handheld mirror. Next up, John tested my in ear microphones to make sure that they were working well(they were) before proceeding with taking the measurements. With each measurement, he made sure that the head tracker and set top device were perfectly aligned before beginning what proved to be a multitude of individual capture angles. The speaker angles, of course, were all dead on according to 5.1, 7.1, Dolby Atmos and Auro 3D official specs, as John did perfect speaker angle setups and calibrations before getting started with each series of captures. Along the way, he also did perfect HPEQ measurements for my two sets of headphones, a modified Sennheiser HD800 and Hifiman HE1000v2, respectively.

John’s follow up with me since then has been above and beyond, which apparently, is the only way that John knows to be in providing exemplary customer service and support. As John predicted, I started out as a client and left as a friend. To steal a quote from “This Is Spinal Tap,” John and 3D Soundshop go up to 11!
Congratulations on joining a very selective club. Now you get to see everything the Realiser is capable of. Isn't it great? And you really did get to make a really good friend in the process.

I can tell everyone, John really puts in the work to make the process go well, and he has a full time job with lots of hours, so he's really giving you most of his remaining free time when he does one of these. He's making an immense contribution to our Smyth community.

And the PRIRs he makes for you are the gold standard. If you can persuade him to do one for you, it's well worth your while.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back