Smyth Research Realiser A16
Nov 12, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #1,352 of 15,986
I have questions about the Yarra device to which several postings have alluded on this thread... These questions may, actually will, sound somewhat naive, since I have no expertise in this area and know next to nothing about the Yarra (not to mention the A16 which I have already ordered, by the way).

On the issue of the perceived possible benefits of using the A16 with the yarra:

1. I am assuming this is for non-headphone listening, since I cannot figure out how the use of the A16 3d audio system via headphone can accommodate a different device.

2. If the above is correct, the benefit my lie in somehow feeding the Yarra with filters or PRIR calibration information generated in the A16 (via whatever cables and methods that are deemed to be appropriate--I really do not have any clue as to what they are at this time).

3. If the above assumptions are correct, then what benefits are the Yarra/A16 combo going to produce that the A16, working on its own, cannot (Is that benefit simply non-headphone HT 3d Listening?)

4. Looking at the pictures of the Yarra soundbar, it does look so tiny that it makes me wonder whether it might not be only suitable for near-field desk top like use, although I wish I am wrong about this. Does anyone have any idea of how suited the Yarra might be for normal HT use in a medium to large-size room (as in one which will normally accommodate a 7.1 HT system?... )

Again, the reason I am asking all these questions is because of the apparent size of the soundbar, as I have seen it in online pictures (and also the pre-order price of the unit, which does not strike me as something one would charge for a unit that is supposedly going to simulate the sound of a big 3d Speaker system with a lot of oooomph!), at least judging from my own not particularly well-informed point of view...

I just need to be informed, so that I can decide whether to take the Yarra-plunge or not. Any helpful thoughts would be welcome. Please excuse anything that sounds too ignorant in the questions I have asked... Most of all, no offense is intended by any statement I have made here. I am only looking for some honest info.

Thanks.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #1,353 of 15,986
1. I am assuming this is for non-headphone listening, since I cannot figure out how the use of the A16 3d audio system via headphone can accommodate a different device.

2. If the above is correct, the benefit my lie in somehow feeding the Yarra with filters or PRIR calibration information generated in the A16 (via whatever cables and methods that are deemed to be appropriate--I really do not have any clue as to what they are at this time).
You would listen to the Yarra instead of headphones. The Realiser produces 2-channel audio output in either case.

Source ==> Realiser ==> Yarra ==> Ears
instead of Source ==> Realiser ==> Headphones ==> Ears
3. If the above assumptions are correct, then what benefits are the Yarra/A16 combo going to produce that the A16, working on its own, cannot (Is that benefit simply non-headphone HT 3d Listening?)
Another benefit is that it reduces the need for head-tracking and personalized measurements.
4. Looking at the pictures of the Yarra soundbar, it does look so tiny that it makes me wonder whether it might not be only suitable for near-field desk top like use, although I wish I am wrong about this. Does anyone have any idea of how suited the Yarra might be for normal HT use in a medium to large-size room (as in one which will normally accommodate a 7.1 HT system?... )
The Yarra lets you choose far-field mode for sitting farther away. It can project binaural sound to up to three listeners. People at other angles hear regular sound.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #1,354 of 15,986
People at other angles hear regular sound.
It is a little bit different I think. I understood it as follows: The Yarra has a seperate mode for use with more than 3 listeners, or listeners that want to move around. In that mode it works as a regular sound bar spreading the sound in all directions. In it's other mode it projects to up to 3 people. In that mode, outside the beams there will be not much sound, except some lower frequencies (relatively close to the beams) that can not be beamed as narrow as the higher frequencies. And of course the subwoofer is not beaming at all and will be audible everywhere in the room. When beaming to up to 3 people (6 ears) it will be able to reach reasonable sound pressure levels. When spreading sound around in all directions we surely can not expect high sound pressure levels.
[Edit: and of course when beaming there are 2 modes: for far field and close]

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #1,355 of 15,986
The Yarra leaves me a bit skeptical. Wouldn't you lose the effect if you move a bit on your chair or couch ? You don't need to stay still in the sweet spot to enjoy the magic of it ? You don't lose the precision and accuracy of the A16 ?
For me the point of the A16 is to listen via headphones as I live in an apartment, I can then set the volume the way I like without bothering about my son sleeping or the neighbors. So the yarra wouldn't be very useful to me.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #1,356 of 15,986
Yes, when you move your head a little bit [Edit: ok I mean move it for example a head-with, or turn close to 90 degrees for sure then] the fun is over.
If I had to take a guess at how it sounds in reality:
I think probably the spatial element will be convincing (sounds coming from behind and from the sides with only the Yarra in front) and that in itself is very special.
But I certainly don't expect it to sound (even near) "indistinguishable" from the simulated speaker/room combination like it does with headphones. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,357 of 15,986
It is a little bit different I think.
According to the FAQ:

What happens if I have more than 3 people listening to the immersive surround projections? What do the others hear?
The 3 primary listeners will hear immersive surround and any other will hear enhanced stereo.

That being said, they did demonstrate a special mode in the lab that projected three different monaural beams which was silent outside of those beams.

Nov 13, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,359 of 15,986
What happens if I have more than 3 people listening to the immersive surround projections? What do the others hear?
The 3 primary listeners will hear immersive surround and any other will hear enhanced stereo.
Ah yes, I remembered reading something like this somewhere but I didn't remember where. In my memory it was just a sloppy formulated answer to a question in the comments from which I inferred my interpretation but seeing it exactly like this now in the FAQ you are probably right. But I find it strange because to me it looks like an inefficient use of the limited driver capacity, if you only have 6 focused beams of sound the drivers have less work to do I would think. [Edit: or maybe you can choose between these two possibilities? That would be nice.]

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #1,360 of 15,986
But I find it strange because to me it looks like an inefficient use of the limited driver capacity, if you only have 6 focused beams of sound the drivers have less work to do I would think.
Maybe another way to think about it is that the Yarra is presenting both the left and right channels to everyone in the room, but it is projecting anti-beams to three people (or fewer) that cancel out the left channel to the right ear and the right channel to the left ear.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #1,361 of 15,986
Yes, but I stll think: if you only have 6 focused beams of sound the drivers have less work to do hence higher sound pressure levels (or lower distortion) are possible in that case.

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #1,363 of 15,986
Thanks guys for the helpful information. Here's one more question: the examples I have read about regarding the Yarra, seem to mention only 5.1 and 7.1 3d audio formats. It makes me want to ask whether it covers Atmos/DTS-X (Auro) height channels/signals too, or whether this is one of the reasons why people are considering feeding the Yarra with the A16's calibrated filters?

Also, if the Yarra can do Atmos/DTS-X height signals, would it be wise, feasible, or sane to ever use it together with a regular set of 5.1 HT speakers for regular movie watching, for example, especially if one can get rid of any kind of crosstalk that might occur between the sounds of the Yarra and those of the live speakers? Or is this idea a "no no"?

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #1,364 of 15,986
Thanks guys for the helpful information. Here's one more question: the examples I have read about regarding the Yarra, seem to mention only 5.1 and 7.1 3d audio formats. It makes me want to ask whether it covers Atmos/DTS-X (Auro) height channels/signals too, or whether this is one of the reasons why people are considering feeding the Yarra with the A16's calibrated filters?
The Yarra itself cannot decode height channels. You can use the A16 to decode and binauralize them, and then feed its 2-channel output to the Yarra.
Also, if the Yarra can do Atmos/DTS-X height signals, would it be wise, feasible, or sane to ever use it together with a regular set of 5.1 HT speakers for regular movie watching, for example, especially if one can get rid of any kind of crosstalk that might occur between the sounds of the Yarra and those of the live speakers? Or is this idea a "no no"?
You seem to be asking if the Yarra can be used at the same time as regular 5.1 speakers, with the Yarra projecting just the height channels that were decoded and binauralized by the A16. It is possible to do so, but the Yarra would not remove any crosstalk that is being caused by the other speakers. Another possibility is to use an AVR that has analog pre-amp outputs for two height channels (which are decoded but not binauralized), and feed them to a Yarra that is either mounted on the ceiling or aimed at the ceiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back