Smyth Research Realiser A16
Oct 16, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #1,262 of 15,985
I have similar thoughts. When you move your head one head-width one ear will be in the wrong beam, and the other at best hears (some of) the same beam.
I just considered backing the Yarra project because
-now it is (near) half price
-I already invested in the A16 so it is a relatively small extra investment
-with the A16 you get the most out of the Yarra, without a Realiser I don't know

But I think the Yarra is truly something else than all those other sound bars.
To me, the Yarra sounds like something that promises much, but will deliver little, and since for the most part, they're promising it to a market that is not audiophile, but is more of a "Bose lifestyle" kind of market, the purveyors are hoping that their base will not be discriminating enough to know it's nowhere near the real deal.

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #1,263 of 15,985

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #1,264 of 15,985
Where did everyone go here. No posts for ten days. Did Smyth cancel the A16 or something?

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #1,266 of 15,985
I think most of us have come to realize that we won't see our units till next year. A month ago I was still hoping to use the time over Xmas to enjoy my unit but the utter silence out of Smyth when they should be firing off good news updates has completely squashed any hope of seeing it this year.

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #1,267 of 15,985
I think most of us have come to realize that we won't see our units till next year.

Yes, there are a number of things that could cause additional delays (and a lot of speculation!) but so far there is no indication that things aren't proceeding as per their last Kickstarter update on 22nd September.

Kickstarter said:
We aim to build 25 production samples of the Realiser A16 in October to use for certification during November. Provided each certification proceeds smoothly we aim to begin shipping A16 units in December.

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #1,268 of 15,985
I guess people have been silent on this thread because unfortunately there is not much new to say.
We are all waiting for the next production status update from the Smythes.
Unfortunately they don't seem to take in consideration our frustration. Last month there was a big talk about the lack of information from them and eventually they released an update.
One could have hoped that they heard us and would release an update twice per month (in the best case) or at least once a month but it's been nearly 5 weeks and still no news.
Even a "Not much to say guys, things are going fine but we are still waiting to receive this or that" would be much more appreciated than utter silence...

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #1,269 of 15,985
there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #1,271 of 15,985
Yes, there are a number of things that could cause additional delays (and a lot of speculation!) but so far there is no indication that things aren't proceeding as per their last Kickstarter update on 22nd September.

Funny how October is almost over and they haven't bothered to announce that any of the production samples have even been finished and shipped yet. But you're probably right, everything is fine!

Personally I'm not worried about not getting the A16, I'm just frustrated because of the lack of information about how production is going and when we'll get it.

Yep. That's the worst part. Claiming it will be out in month X, then pushing it back until month Y, repeat is seriously old now. The smarter thing to do is overestimate how long it will take to actually get these finished and post a release date that's actually many months ahead of the expected, instead of constantly posting unrealistic expectations. The delay is actually better for my wallet, but it's not better for my patience, especially because right now everything is so undetermined.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,272 of 15,985
Guys................. It's not like it's a PCB, a screen, a few wires and a cage to hold it all in.

oh - wait - that's exactly what it is.

/half sarcasm

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,273 of 15,985
It seems that investing in these kickstarters is a very risky business. This thread started first quarter of 2016 and the manufacturer's predicted production date was 1st qtr of 2017, and here we are in the fourth quarter of 2017, with no product in sight. Another similar product that was supposed to be shipping this very month is the Ossic X Headphone, and still no indication they're putting anything on the FEDEX truck.

In the computer world, there's a pocket sized full on Windows 10 computer complete with 7 inch screen called the Occle Sirius A that was supposed to ship months ago, but still hasn't.

Tesla is barely shipping Model 3s, and a startup called Elio roughly 3 years ago started taking deposits on it's proposed 3 wheeled $7500 car on a motorcycle chassis and to this date they haven't even started production and may never b/c of cash flow issues--the list goes on and on.

Guess the moral of the story is you might think you're getting in on the ground floor by "crowd funding" what you think is a revolutionary product, but then again maybe you're just throwing your money down a rathole.

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #1,275 of 15,985
They have not blown past any deadlines from their last update yet so, I don't think there is reason to really worry. A lot of the final steps indicated in their last update are happening around now and in the coming weeks.

Since their timelines were also based on there being no problems with the samples and with the certification, if you want to be optimistic, no news is good news......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back