Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 8, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #10,938 of 15,985
That is very strange indeed. Maybe a bug in the A16 firmware?

But there is a workaround I think: With USB you are dealing with PCM signals only, so a PCM room is used. You can make a new preset and use a new PCM listening room with a custom listening mode (for example "cust#1"). In that room you are free to assign any speaker regardless of it's speaker label to any channel number. Just assign the rears to channels 5 and 6, and the side surrounds to channels 7 and 8.

Yes indeed, creating a new room and swapping up the channels as a simple workaround seems to work just fine. Thanks.

If Windows 10 (build 2004) isn't the culprit I'm thinking it might be a bug in the A16 USB driver or something.

Also slapping myself on the head for not noticing this sooner, lol. It was only till last night when I was gaming and an enemy was up and above where the right surround speaker should be (but I heard it as him being right behind me on the right side) and it got me killed. Even before that I had some moments where I would get a bit confused exactly where a sound was coming from in the rear area.

I guess because it was never really an issue on HDMI when I was watching movies and stuff I just brushed it off but now everything sounds so much better on USB as well. This issue also made me think that my measured HPEQ wasn't done properly because I was just hearing sounds all over the damn place when using it and the dummy head HPEQ sounded way more precise... no wonder why that was happening *facepalm*

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #10,939 of 15,985
Since the 12 August 2019 (1yr 5mths ago) there has only been 6 Kickstarter updates.

I think this forum thread has covered the Realiser A16 more than anywhere else on the web. The publicity good and not so good (in some cases) has given Smyth Research free publicity which would have cost them many thousands of pounds in advertising. The least they can do is come on to the forum and communicate with the users and answer questions that users may have on the set up and usage or general question/answer sessions. Some delays in manufacture and delivery is expected in this climate, but this is no excuse for non communication to Kickstarter and pre-order customers.

As has been discussed before, a reviewer on Youtube has managed to destroy any credibility that has been built up through this forum and other magazines about the A16. It is about time that Smyth Research and their communications team start communicating. They have a Youtube page that they put instruction videos on, but put a nice presenter who is knowledgeable on the workings of the A16, on the screen and inform us about the A16. The early videos for the A16 showing Smyth Research going around the shows and everyone saying "How great the A16 was" these are out of date and did not really show off capabilities of the physical unit. Selling to business may be their end goal but when negative reviews and videos are shown then this could destroy the product and their reputation as a high quality audio manufacturer of a high quality product very quickly.

I know this thread is technically about the quality and help/information about the A16 and all posters are doing their part to help each other out, but Smyth Research do not leave it to Youtube incompetent reviewers to destroy what we have built up over these years.

Final point: Thanks to the moderators for allowing us to vent our frustrations out on the thread. I know this is an audio forum and not a complaints forum against Smyth Research.

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #10,940 of 15,985
I think that only Smyth Research might give you a relevant answer, but their update on shipping status at kickstarter site stopped after September 7, 2020. Write them and maybe you’ll get back a message.

would be glad, if they would reply at all!

i sent several emails over the last 4 years, ZERO response!

but they were very responsive, when they had ask for more money, as they 'forgot' shipping cost...

Being a Preorder "Customer" seems to be the most worst or non valuable kind of customer for Smyth Research. Waiting longer than the Kickstarter Backers, paying more than twice the price, paying additional fees now because Brexit, being completely ignored by Smyth Research and bypassed by any other customer just buying now and get it few days later. Giving the lose of the pound in the last 4 years, the difference to the black friday offer is not that hugh any more....

Taking the money Smyth Research legally has created liabilities. A debtor has to make sufficient efforts to fulfill it's liabilities. If Smyth Research is not seriously about it, its for sure a case of poor business ethics or even fraud.

I my opinion, giving Smyth Research more than 3 years in addition to the timeline they had promised at selling time, already demonstrated a massive amount of good will in good faith from customer side!

It seems Smyth Research believes they don't need to take care of these facts.

With 280? pre-order customer out there, let's raises our voices and let's remind Smyth Research that they still have to fulfill their liabilities!

If they feel no pain, there will be no progress.

best publicity are satisfied customer, worst publicity are pi$$ed of customer and Smyth Research worked hard in the last 4 years to create them, mainly due to non communication, beside of not delivering what promised.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #10,941 of 15,985
Here's my latest:

Hi James,

Any updates on my pre-order? It is nearing the end of the year and I'm really looking forward to my a16 I pre-ordered 12/2016.

Thanks for your time,

Phil Minnick
Pre Order 66
cleardot.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Phil,

Sorry for the late reply.
You're still on the list for delivery of the A16, you are pre-order number #66
We have almost completed KS order and once that's complete we will begin pre-orders.
I understand your frustration, but our aim is for everyone who has pre-ordered to receive a unit.
The real issue is that the KS price we established initially doesn't even cover the costs to make the A16, so we got the pricing wrong.
So at this point we either pack it in and pay everyone's money back, this would result in bankruptcy, or we put a number of units aside and start to sell at retail price to make some money and ship KS at the same time.
It's a juggling act really. On top of that there is essentially 3 people working full time making who don't even make minimum wage, so everything we is to keep the lights on in the hope of getting through this backlog and start moving forward with the business.
I really appreciate your patience and I know it's not nice, but everything we are doing is to make sure everyone who has paid will get their unit, because the day they don't is the day our doors shut and we're finished as a business.

I expect that your unit will be shipped early 2021.

Again I'm sorry for the extremely long wait, but your unit will be delivered.

Best Regards
James

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #10,942 of 15,985
They should have told us that story a long time ago. I understand now what they are going through though it is still a big question mark for every kickstarters and pre-orders involved.
No more “what is going on” on our part…They are in deep sh..That I can put a face on.
The thing that worries me the most is the timing of their “coming out” ; if you state things as they are, it usually means that you have nothing left to lose by saying it. Strangely, now that I know, I feel even more worried. And yet I wanted to know the truth in the 1st place.

There is still a hopeful prospect, they are hanging by the skin of their teeth. Meaning they have not yet given up.

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #10,943 of 15,985
That's what many of us here were already guessing and it's good that James is, at last, speaking openly and freely. It would be good that they say it in an update.
It must not be easy though to admit their original mistake and their financial struggle.
However, where many companies would have chosen to shut down the business and drive the customers to a loss of money, they hang on and do what they can to fulfill their engagement.
I already got my unit but i do hope they'll manage to deliver all the units to the preorders and to make profits with units sold at the retail price.

Dec 11, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #10,944 of 15,985
Amended post:
Mistakes in business can be costly, the company has now admitted that there has been problems and with a small workforce, trying to fulfill our orders with the limited resources available. Although I paid my money over 3 years ago I still have faith in them building my A16. I cannot fault their dedication in building a great product and a delay is better than no product at all. When updates ceased people start becoming concerned about their money or non delivery of their units. As delivery dates started to stretch without explanation can you really blame customers for being upset?.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #10,945 of 15,985
I wonder if Heavenly Sound is in any way helping the Smyths to keep the lights on.

I believe that Smyth Research would do well to sell parts/accessories at retail prices to turn a profit. I, for one, would be very happy to pay a fair market price for a couple of backup sets of their in ear microphones, for instance. Backup sets of their set top units would also be good to have(after all, face it, nobody else makes or sells this kind of stuff so if a particular critical accessory stops working then that could come close to bricking your A16).

Meanwhile, I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the Smyths are able to get the Realiser Exchange up and running (it was projected to happen by the end of this calendar year 🤔) so that I can finally receive my CanJam PRIR. I know that I may come across at sounding selfish for saying that out loud but they’ve been reportedly oh so close!

DTS-X and Auro 3D certification would be icing on the cake, as would be eARC and USB implementation.

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #10,946 of 15,985
I've been away for a time, now I have to read that.
This is very sad.
But no real surprise. We already guessed that.
Already starting with the low KS prices made me suspicious.

As one who paid the low price I would be willing to pay even a few hundred "credit units" (my term for punds/dollars/euros) extra, but I don't think every body else would do so also.
I'd even pay a monthly amount of 10-20 credit units for Realiser exchange/as a service fee to keep up at least the support.

It's so so sad that they're good technicians but not so good businessmen.

Stephen even wanted to give me the hardware upgrades for free because I contributed a little bit to the debugging process!
I declined that!
At least Imwould have said that he gives me a little discount, not totally free, but I didn't want to send the unit back and forth, it's too precious to me to get lost or damaged.

I can not really afford to buy a 2nd A16 at the moment. And this doesn't really help much In the long run they'll need a constant cash flow, at least for support.

How can we help them and who's willing to do so?

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #10,948 of 15,985
I've been away for a time, now I have to read that.
This is very sad.
But no real surprise. We already guessed that.
Already starting with the low KS prices made me suspicious.

As one who paid the low price I would be willing to pay even a few hundred "credit units" (my term for punds/dollars/euros) extra, but I don't think every body else would do so also.
I'd even pay a monthly amount of 10-20 credit units for Realiser exchange/as a service fee to keep up at least the support.

It's so so sad that they're good technicians but not so good businessmen.

Stephen even wanted to give me the hardware upgrades for free because I contributed a little bit to the debugging process!
I declined that!
At least Imwould have said that he gives me a little discount, not totally free, but I didn't want to send the unit back and forth, it's too precious to me to get lost or damaged.

I can not really afford to buy a 2nd A16 at the moment. And this doesn't really help much In the long run they'll need a constant cash flow, at least for support.

How can we help them and who's willing to do so?
i certainly would be willing to help out in some small way.

when my A16 was lost by UPS back in August when returning from being upgraded, i actually was pleased to see that at least they would get the full replacement cost of a retail A16 in their claim refund.....hoping another retail sale would help in some small part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back