Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 2, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #10,906 of 15,986
flat eq is all I have needed to use so far, I have adjusted the Vspeakers instead omof having tinkered with the manLOUD for what are probably uhm, slightly poorer rooms for captures

I am not a room correction expert. Have not felt it justified just yet. The hpeq that takes 20 seconds for flat response happily suits me.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #10,907 of 15,986
flat eq is all I have needed to use so far, I have adjusted the Vspeakers instead omof having tinkered with the manhood for what are probably uhm, slightly poorer rooms for captures

I am not a room correction expert. Have not felt it justified just yet
Talking about the ManloudEQ bc we will all need to perform it to match your PRIR to our own HTFR or personal head/ears profile. This will be a crucial step for us to really test your personal room capture..

Dec 2, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #10,908 of 15,986
Watching Lord Of the Rings, Fellowship Part 2 at the moment. 24 Channel atmos from the Surrey Room and The BBC room is amazing from likely any headphone. I am enjoying it from HD 800 with the SDR dots. Have to chime in, because when you get a chance to see this, it is incredible.
16 vs 24 channel, and 24 channel is incredible.
I'll try the ManLOUD Eq next...

Pic of Sarumans snow falling on the Mt. As decision to go through the Mines of Moria is made.

Every line from this movie is Art. No meager 12 channel 7.1.4 minimum atmos setup here. This is object orienteded Atmos, and the team that did the 4k remaster has done an transmorgriyingly amazing work for Lotr

Sounds wonderful so far from BBC as well as Surrey Room. They are perfectly balanced. Very professional recreations.

I feel like the 24 channel is a professional product. I don't mean to make 16 channel owners feel badly. But the 24 is ahead of being easily described. It's good. I can taste just taste 32 channels on top of the Air... + I wanmt to play this in the 128 channel theatre before CoVid receeds to hear the 128 channel objected oriented audio...

Not much money, for that. But if we could program the channels for future realisers, I would love to capture the enterable, "programmable" 64 channels in the Realisers GUI, from those properly dispersion-patterned, and designed speakers that are for The 128 channel Theatre. 64 channel in that room, from those spoeakers would be Idyllic.

I will contact the Smyth team.
The second picture is only after the snow has fallen and the wind is blowing the snow around. Which has just fallen. 'Nobody tosses a Dwarf,' best line in filmography and Movie-dom ever, in Atmos 8:):o2smile: Making my evening. It's a treat.
But being serious again, every line of dialogue as well as the sum of parts is equally amazing. Hmm...... Simply said: There is Plenty of Sumptuous Food for thought.

I can enjoy 24 channel, but 32 channel would be even better. I would pay something for an upgrade, though I am admittedly not sure just exactly how much. I have no idea what Smyth would have to charge.
24 is very adequate.

This movie confirms that Atmos Can work appropriately. My hope is that the theater improves the reproduction of (24ch object oriented) multichannel music as well.

Things are a bit anemic in the bbc and echoey in the surrey room, and just 18 channels i believe in the surrey room.
You definitely hear the superior speaker in the surrey room, but the 24 channel instead of 18 channel BBC Room is Enticing.

Safe to say I'm an admirer. I can stay up almost all night watching Lord of the Rings, if I had a free schedule to do continued listening tomorrow for a larger portion of my day..

Awesome, Maybe when Hollywood resumes with making Art after CoVid There will be better Atmos Tracks and many more in Object Oriented Format. 12 channel is alright though too. 'Read someplace that when 16 channels or more are recorded the recording engineers have the option to assign object oriented format to the mix at that point. Not sure if this is true and I would appreciate more feedback about most of the Object Oriented Crossover point in\and recording staging.

Attachments

• 20201202_000730.jpg
    20201202_000730.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201202_000733.jpg
    20201202_000733.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #10,909 of 15,986
Watching Lord Of the Rings, Fellowship Part 2 at the moment. 24 Channel atmos from the Surrey Room and The BBC room is amazing from likely any headphone. I am enjoying it from HD 800 with the SDR dots. Have to chime in, because when you get a chance to see this, it is incredible.
16 vs 24 channel, and 24 channel is incredible.
I'll try the ManLOUD Eq next...

Pic of Sarumans snow falling on the Mt. As decision to go through the Mines of Moria is made.

Every line from this movie is Art. No meager 12 channel 7.1.4 minimum atmos setup here. This is object orienteded Atmos, and the team that did the 4k remaster has done an incredibly amazing work for Lotr

Sounds wonderful so far from BBC as well as Surrey Room. They are perfectly balanced. Very professional recreations.
You will certainly jump out of your seat once using your PRIR from the theater..It will be day and night..

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #10,912 of 15,986
Dec 2, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #10,913 of 15,986
But just a suggestion, what’s the possibility of finding a dummy head to use for your measurements?... you know since each individuals heads are different and all... Perhaps that would make the measurements more universal?... kinda like how the smyths have done for their bbc rooms and such. Not sure if that’d actually make things sound any better tho, just a thought..
Rental for Neumann KU-100 seems to run at around $300 per week, probably plus shipping, since they just plain aren't available at a lot of places. May need a 48 phantom power source, and it's entirely unclear how that could interface with the A16. I don't think there would be a real advantage to use a random/generic artificial head with the A16 microphones over just taking measurements with more people.

Edit: Anyone with good contacts to the Smyths willing to ask them how to record a PRIR with a KU-100?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #10,914 of 15,986
People always look at me like I'm a psychopath, never having read the books or watched the Lord of the Rings series. Perhaps now is as good a time as any to run a little marathon, lol.

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #10,915 of 15,986
I will ask. He will know everything about it.

We both can obtain captures so that a wider selection of people get the best results probable.

We are also going to capture the tri amped center right, left, etc that are at the screen. Very exciting that is not including the fourth channel, the big sub directly hooked up to those 5 channels *6 or 7 actually)

If it doesn't turn out good i will not release, and we will remeasure very soon. I am pretty sure we have it dialed in, without TOO much risk (spent last visit dialing in the calibration process.) And the theatre schematics.

I hope they help the Realiser shine too. The speakers are the right size per room size.. I wish we could program 3 subs to the realizer for say 32.3, whatever the orientation is. The theater is the correct size and proportions for these measurements.
--The projector to the Screen-throw is just 70 or 75 feet. very appropriately sized theatre. So we are only about 15 to 22 feet from each speaker, and about 30 ft to the screen. The captures should be wonderful if executed well enough.

I hope we can make the realiser even better, greater than the sum of 24 channel over headphones, with them ...

Note: we are level matching each speaker individually, so we are not using the Digital mixer which level matches the output signal.

If I take my time, I can capture the full ranged surrounds with their subs, but, it would take a tad longer for the captures, and I would rather try without first. I don't want to have to staple the bass together because calibrating the sub is difficult.

We will capture the tei amped screen speakerz without The sub first, then add the sub for the captures.

One sub is probably enough for this experimental stage for us users.

We can yearn for a 32 or 50+ channel realiser, but I can tell you that in my experience the 24 channel is quite a bit more fun than just 16 channels..
..I have NO Doubt I been Spoilt rotten to the core by the theaters 128 Channel atmos theatre. atmos is Joy. Especially the 128 setups. Dolby REALLY DOES NOT beat around anyone in their 128 channel Setups.

By the way, I can Get captures of that too if we had programmable channels through the realiser so that we could save the prir for later.... it is too large a theater imo for just 24 channels, and the chosen speakers dispersion patterns through empty space and air in the larger, very large Theatre the 67 channel is not ideal, too big. The 128 speaker dispersion patterns are ideal for a large format room, even for 24ch.

The 128 channel-surround speakers are the best, Dolby isn't messing around for their 128 channel Atmos, ever. Dispersion field i. The large format theater is excellent, in fact. It's actually super Amazing. Been fortunate enough to see mayne 5 or 6 atmos films on the 128 channel theatre in since 2018.

I am not obsessive about atmos, I just REALLY DIG high resolution, real high Resolution media. Admire it for what the engineers like the Smyths' Put into It.

Honestly I am excited to use the realizer portably at some point. It only weighs 5.9 lb or whatever, it is light and could be made a portable well enough... once there is enough Real content. We're almost there. Just use this, and you'll get about 5 hours out of the 17 Watt Realiser. The Realiser is pretty efficient given all this lovely DSP!!
https://www.goalzero.com/shop/sherp...MI5LSH9P-r7QIVYhB9Ch2LAQK4EAQYAiABEgIE5fD_BwE
Will stream from the Cell to the DX7 Pro Ldac to realiser. Only the Balanced HD 800 Cord or electrostatic headphone cord will leave a backpack, or go direct into the realiser instead of line out. For instance... 24 channel atmos on the move... it is possible...

I go on many walks to achieve peace and personal goal setting, as well as forested hikes... rambling, but just suggesting that th realiser can be used... for around three hours with the DX7 pro.

Then charge the battery again on a 48Watt charger anywhere, or direct from the car 120V cigarette lighter at sub 5A through the 8mm input for pretty much unlimited realiser-on the go. :)
You can take several PRIR captures with the different speakers... later when the exchange is released you will be able to combine PRIR files from different PRIR captures... so you could get the 128 channels and mix them into a 24ch PRIR later... at least you would have the capture and choose different speakers for a 24 ch ATMOS room... nothing wrong with choices.. :)

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #10,916 of 15,986
Hi folks, I haven't been paying attention to this forum for a while now, given the delays that have frustrated so many of us, so I'm sorry if this has been asked/answered, but would the A16 work with this?
https://www.woojer.com/
This device works with a standard 3.5 mm audio cable, USB-C or Bluetooth (which the A16 doesn't have, right?), and I know the A16 has tactile outputs. So would it work? If not, any other tactile devices out there that people have tried that work with the A16 and that are readily available? (by which I mean nothing crowd-funded that may or may not come out in the future). Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #10,917 of 15,986
This device works with a standard 3.5 mm audio cable, ..., and I know the A16 has tactile outputs. So would it work?
You can connect it with a 2 x RCA/Cinch to 3.5 mm jack stereo cable to the A16 tactile outputs.

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #10,918 of 15,986
As I wait year over year for my A16, can anyone suggest a surround sound processor to use until the A16 arrives? Im using a soundblaster G6 right now to get by...

Dec 4, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #10,919 of 15,986
As I wait year over year for my A16, can anyone suggest a surround sound processor to use until the A16 arrives? Im using a soundblaster G6 right now to get by...
I recommend anything with waves NX, either Audeze Mobius, Hyper-x cloud orbit or waves Nx software on PC or Mac ( cheapest option).
I use my Pc as my primary device with the A-16 only for Atmos content . Rest is via Mobius or NX software.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #10,920 of 15,986
I recommend anything with waves NX, either Audeze Mobius, Hyper-x cloud orbit or waves Nx software on PC or Mac ( cheapest option)

I need a stand alone unit. All my movies are 4k from VUDU and are Dolby Vision. (atmos mostly). Is there a stand alone unit that uses waves NX processing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back