Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 29, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #946 of 15,951
Nice! So basically another 2 to 3 months before we start to get these (Probably closer to 3). Part of me was still hoping they were going to ship in august sometime even though it was not looking good. In either case it looks like they have a better time frame for us. Cant wait!

I did order the 2u version of the Realiser but the head stand version was the one that was originally imprinted on my psyche as I find it more interesting if not impractical.

The wood additions to the 2u version are a nice little surprise but I am unsure if I would get tired of that look or if it would fit in well with my other entertainment stuff.

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #950 of 15,951
Do like the idea of the wood in place of the rack mount wings. I would like to see what it would look like with some darker choices.

Sounds like we’re looking at October as the best case scenario? Fingers crossed that production doesn’t get pushed back. That will be a nice little package to receive right as the weather is starting to turn cold here again.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #951 of 15,951
Looks like October should be the worst case scenario. If I understand fine, the Smyth brothers will receive all details separately and assemble each unit themselves, test them and load the BRIR or PRIR for those who could get a full capture and demo.
Production is really starting now with the metal cases and unless they face a production delay with one of the boards, they may be able to start shipping the first units during the second half of September. Let's keep fingers crossed !!

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #953 of 15,951
I am debating which to order. The headphone stand is 2.8 kg and the 2U version is 3 kg.
I am not sure if the weight and measurements for both units are final.
do you plan to go for run with it? ^_^
to me the choice doesn't seem that hard. look at where you plan on placing it, do you have the space for the vertical version? yes or no. if yes, just pick what you find nice, if not well you have your answer. ideally to make an optimal use of all the tracking features, you'll want the realiser straight in front of you(or right behind? I guess that would work too). so placement if rather straightforward because kind of limited.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #954 of 15,951
do you plan to go for run with it? ^_^
to me the choice doesn't seem that hard. look at where you plan on placing it, do you have the space for the vertical version? yes or no. if yes, just pick what you find nice, if not well you have your answer. ideally to make an optimal use of all the tracking features, you'll want the realiser straight in front of you(or right behind? I guess that would work too). so placement if rather straightforward because kind of limited.
Personally i chose the headstand version. I prefer the way it looks there will be enough room where I am planning to put it.
You don't need to have it straight ahead or behind you for head tracking, there will be a cord that should be long enough and you can tie it to the cord of your headphone since anyway it will be placed on top of it. The other part of it will be placed on or under your TV.

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #955 of 15,951
REDUCED COLOUR CHOICE

If you have not been following the Kickstarter comments or update comments you may not be aware that Smyth Reaearch are now only offering the Headstand version with a silver front and rear plates (I assume that the body remains black as on the prototypes) and the 2U version in black.

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #956 of 15,951
REDUCED COLOUR CHOICE

If you have not been following the Kickstarter comments or update comments you may not be aware that Smyth Reaearch are now only offering the Headstand version with a silver front and rear plates (I assume that the body remains black as on the prototypes) and the 2U version in black.
I am happy with this as long they release it in time ( September, October ) the latest.

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #957 of 15,951
Looks like they did that because not enough people wanted it. Risk you take with a kickstarter project like this I suppose.

More interesting is the details they put out on the amp section. OPA1622 Texas Instruments solid state amps. Anyone here have experience with these? Looks like they are used in the FiiO AM3 DAP.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #958 of 15,951
REDUCED COLOUR CHOICE

Actually that makes a lot of sense; people who wanted the headstand probably intended it to be seen, whereas those who went for the 2U were looking for something more able to blend in with other apparatus. Since I wanted silver for the headstand I am content.

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #959 of 15,951
In case any one missed it Steve Smyth did a couple of follow up posts #35 & #36 on the balanced setup.

Post #35 has some tech info on the OPA1622. A quick google shows it comes from the Burr Brown side of the house. But when it comes to analogue devices even IC's, what supporting parts you have can have even more of an impact that the actual IC chosen. Think power for one. The best IC in the world is worthless if fed with dirty or weak power. Not saying Smyth will do that, just an example.

https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/new-high-end-audio-opamp-from-ti-1

And this.

"James Smyth Collaborator 2 days ago
@Nigel J. The customer survey that we sent all our customers asking them various questions was for us to get an idea of what our customers would be interested in. Unfortunately there wasn't enough demand for the black headstand & silver 2U and therefore from a business point of view it wouldn't be feasible to pursue."

My S.W.A.G is shipping will be mid to late November to start with the KS ones finished in Nov and the pre orders in Dec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back