1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Smyth Research Realiser A16

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jgazal, May 7, 2016.
First

Back
46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55
57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
Next

Last
  1. Got the Shakes
    So do we know if the Realiser will pass through audio untouched for the odd time that I might just want to listen out of the tv speakers? Like if I have a baseball game on and just want the audio coming out of the speakers as background noise.

2. VandyMan
    Yes, it will have a bypass mode.

3. Fox1977
    Are you sure about that ? You can measure various headphones with the A16 to get the HPEQ, but if you use on headphones A the HPEQ measured from headphones B, it will not be at all as if you were wearing headphones B on your head.
    Some will correct me if i'm wrong, but the HPEQ that the A16 can measure is destined to "cancel" the signature of the headphone, so that the sound you hear can be as close as possible from the speakers originally captured.

4. castleofargh Contributor
    I don't know if there is such a functionality, but aside from each headphone's physical limitations, it should be rather trivial to do(for them!!!^_^). I mean they already indirectly do that for speaker, and then introduce a different stereo mechanism and include room reverb. so it wouldn't be too far fetched to consider an option to try and mimic other headphones. but would we want that when we can get speaker sound in our ears? it feels a little like they would be missing the customer target with this:

why did you purchase a Realiser?
    -to get speaker sound in our headphones
    how do you use the Realiser?
    -to get another headphone sound with crippled stereo!

^_^

I wouldn't cry if the option was made available because I like toys, but I know I would play with such an option for 2hours and then would probably never use it again.

5. Fox1977
    I rethought about what i wrote earlier, and after all it may be indeed possible... I suppose that if when you make your PRIR, you put on a pair of good headphones instead of listening to a home-theater system, and then you measure the HPEQ of your own headphones, you eventually get a PRIR simulating the high end headphones... (with the physical limitations of your own headphones)

6. costas23
    I don't know for sure if the realiser will have this feature to simulate other headphones, but I would think that it is an easy task for it. I only read about this feature in a post on another forum, so don't take my word for it. I guess only the Smyth team can answer that question.

The way I guess it works is, as you mentioned, that the Headphone A (which you own) is made dead-neutral through the HPEQ and the Headphone B is measured like a speaker setup and saved as a preset. Then you can choose to load the preset/signature of B on A and listen to it through A and enjoy a different signature. I own a HD800 but for some music I would really like to listen to a Fostex TH900 or a Grado or an Utopia or whatever. Not having to buy further headphones is always a plus :wink:

Totally understand what you mean and I also wouldn't say that it makes sense to buy the realiser only to simulate other headphones... of course I bought it for its speaker simulation functionality and I therefore went to munich high end to get my PRIR done, but having further options is only increasing its value :wink:
    We sometimes organise some head-fi meets in my town which makes it possible to listen to all kind of high-end headphones at one place, so taking the chance and going home with all those babies is not a bad thought :wink:

castleofargh likes this.
  7. krismusic Contributor
    I'm a patient man and would far rather Smyth perfect their awesome A16 before sending it out but when I signed up In sure I was told May. Then it changed to June. Now no communication. I'm surprised there isn't talk on this thread of the delays in shopping and the lack of communication. Smyth have had my money for some considerable time now. Regular updates as to delays would be good.

8. costas23
    I think Smyth is one of the few companies that keep their customers well updated as the delay to August was communicated via email and the kickstarter page. Maybe the mail landed in your spam-folder?
    Delays are common with kickstarter/indiegogo stuff and I tested the prototype at munich high end, so that thing at least exists and functions as promised.
    I'm an early kickstarter-backer and it was already then stated, that they would ship in June 2017, some weeks ago they updated and informed all backers that they plan shipping in August. Nothing wrong with that I think

VandyMan and krismusic like this.
  9. krismusic Contributor
    Fair do. I may be misremembering the May date and missed the email.

costas23 likes this.
  10. J.Villain
  11. dsperber
    This is the "real world", and we are dealing with a very unusual product... that is really still in the development stage. Even hardware components being used (like the HDMI board from MDS) are, themselves, even evolving along their own manufacturing path in this most recently developing digital audio world 2.0. We must be patient, and in the end we will all be highly rewarded I'm sure. We're coming down the home stretch. Patience is a virtue.

My story is probably well known and I've told it numerous times now, being the proud owner (and still user) of analog-only (no HDMI) Realiser A8 serial #0001 back in April 2009.

And it was originally back in 2004 that I had first seen a Widescreen Review article interviewing Stephen Smyth discussing this "miraculous" new SVS headphone technology he was developing, with their US location in Camarillo CA nearby where I lived in Los Angeles. I communicated with them regarding availability for purchase or even earlier than that perhaps just availability for demonstration. I remained in touch by email with them OVER THE NEXT FIVE YEARS, as the product continued to be developed and eventually neared production! I was finally invited up to Camarillo early in 2009 for a personal first demonstration of a prototype, and couldn't have been more thrilled. I was promised that the unit with serial #0001 would be reserved for me, and it was.

I finally got to purchase A8 serial #0001 in April 2009, five years after first discovering about Stephen Smyth, SVS, and this whole technology from that 2004 article appeared in WSR. And it was back in April 2009 that I authored the first thread in this forum about SVS and the Realiser finally now being "available for purchase".

And surely Smyth had been thinking about it and working on it for many years before that 2004 WSR interview, even years before while he was still with DTS. Reading the latest update advising of HDMI 2.0b and HDCP 2.2 support I feel the new additional production delay/wait to be well worth whatever it takes.

Also, the new "digital standby pass-through" feature in the A16 is a terrific advance. The A8 only contains "analog standby pass-through" where the 8 RCA inputs were "shunted" by relay over to the 8 RCA outputs (and you could hear the mechanical relays click when you powered the unit down into standby mode) like railroad tracks. There was no optical input/output pass-through (in fact there was no optical input), and when the HDMI option was added there was no digital pass-through. So taking whatever time it takes to design a suitable "digital standby pass-through" functionality for optical and HDMI inputs is a terrific advance, and well worth any additional delay it might require.

All in all, this A16 is a very special new product. It contains built-in decoding capability where the A8 did not, and this opens up many new huge potential capabilities as well as associated design requirements. It may have evolved from the A8 but is significantly more advanced, and very nicely "future-proofed" as best as possible for what is still today unknown in the future of this rapidly advancing new digital audio world. I'm sure we will all be rewarded for our patience.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    VandyMan, costas23 and jgazal like this.
  12. saidentary
    So, are you planning to sell your A8 for an incredibly low price?????:smiley::smiley::smiley:

13. J.Villain
    I suspect that is a "pry it out of my cold dead fingers" situation. That unit could be worth real money some day.

14. dsperber
    Not a chance.:grin:

It's still alive and kicking, satisfying me in its own designated headphone HDTV viewing/listening room with other vintage A/V equipment (including my Stax Omega-1 and SRM-T1s from 1995). All still working and sounding great.

I'm still getting my money's worth.

15. VandyMan
    Why would it go up in value? The A16 is far superior. I have a Tact RCS 2.0, a Perpetual P-1A/P-3A, etc and I can tell you that these sorts of digital products do not go up in value. They become obsolete.

First

Back
46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55
57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
Next

Last