Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 10, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #7,501 of 15,986
Ok... I went back through ALL of the settings and now I have the A16 setup in all modes to " Direct " input with no upmixing at all any where... now with the iphone hooked up through the HDMI adapter
playing back a movie ... it reports that the iphone is sending the data out in PCM Dolby Surround... so if you play a movie that is 7.1 then the A16 plays 7.1... or a movie with 5.1... then the A16 plays back 5.1... so that in itself is cool coming out of an iphone... and using the up arrow the A16 reports it correctly... what throws you off a little is that if you have a 9.1.6 PRIR loaded in the PCM slot then the up arrow reports that you are listening to 9.1.6 even if you are feeding the A16 with 7.1 Surround... you just need to go to the audio meter screen and you can see that 9.1.6 is loaded but populated by 7.1 or what ever processing for the movie you are playing back....

and with this setting when you play one of your music apps from the iphone then it feeds the A16 in 2 channel and plays back in 2 channel ... or the L/R speaker in a 9.1.6 PRIR...

and of course if you feel the need just turn on upmixing

so all is good... :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #7,503 of 15,986
Main menu -> Settings -> System -> Assign solo/mute keys

With firmware 1.75 you can now assign speakers to the "top" group of buttons and bottom numeric keypad buttons separately. The bottom numeric buttons are either (a) direct preset selectors 1-9 if you don't "enable" them to be solo buttons, or (b) solo buttons for speakers of your assignment and choice if you "enable" the keypad group switch, and then press ENTER to drill down one level to do the assignment.

Furthermore, the OH key in the top group can now be assigned up to 7 different speakers as a single solo group. For example, one could assign Ltf, Rtf, Ltm, Rtm, Ltr and Rtr and listen to all six top Atmos speakers together using just the OH key. Note that this new OH group assignment works regardless of whether the Key Pad group is enabled or disabled.

See the 1.75 firmware release notes for pictures and description of these changes. Also section 5.3.1 in the .091 manual for original information about solo keys.

Thanks

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #7,504 of 15,986
You Gene,

Were you a pre-order or kickstarter backer?

-Phil

No Phil, I am just a recent customer. I ordered in October 2018 with the French importer at the full price. According to another importer from Asia which I queried end of November 2019 : ..."we sell in restricted quantity as to not disrupt the KickStarter back-log too much"...
I presume now, one year later - though I did not know that at the time of my order - that those "restricted quantity deliveries" must apply to the French importer as well ; but I have no idea how this is possible at all. Are not the KickStarters a "legal" priority??? I also haven't read the terms of a KickStarter contract. Anyway, I was told in 2018 to be patient...

At the time of my order the schedule of delivery was unknown. The fact that it was a KickStarter project meant for me a high risk (and for all of you as well) considering among other things that they were far behind schedule. I presumed that it would be delivered after the 330 KickStarters and after of course all the other orders ; I accepted that fact at the time of the order and considered myself as a sort of KickStarter due to the many delays, inconsistencies, resolved problems followed by new problems, uncertainties, etc.

And then, I received yesterday a confirmation regarding shipping from Paris to Brussels end of the week.

This is, in a nutshell, what happened to me.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #7,505 of 15,986
No Phil, I am just a recent customer. I ordered in October 2018 with the French importer at the full price. According to another importer from Asia which I queried end of November 2019 : ..."we sell in restricted quantity as to not disrupt the KickStarter back-log too much"...
I presume now, one year later - though I did not know that at the time of my order - that those "restricted quantity deliveries" must apply to the French importer as well ; but I have no idea how this is possible at all. Are not the KickStarters a "legal" priority??? I also haven't read the terms of a KickStarter contract. Anyway, I was told in 2018 to be patient...

At the time of my order the schedule of delivery was unknown. The fact that it was a KickStarter project meant for me a high risk (and for all of you as well) considering among other things that they were far behind schedule. I presumed that it would be delivered after the 330 KickStarters and after of course all the other orders ; I accepted that fact at the time of the order and considered myself as a sort of KickStarter due to the many delays, inconsistencies, resolved problems followed by new problems, uncertainties, etc.

And then, I received yesterday a confirmation regarding shipping from Paris to Brussels end of the week.

This is, in a nutshell, what happened to me.
Congratulations. I’m very happy for you. I have no issues with someone paying full price to get theirs sooner, especially after hearing that you ordered a year ago at full price. Enjoy your A16 and come back and post your A16 impressions and experiences.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #7,508 of 15,986
Congratulations. I’m very happy for you. I have no issues with someone paying full price to get theirs sooner, especially after hearing that you ordered a year ago at full price. Enjoy your A16 and come back and post your A16 impressions and experiences.

You Gene will correct me if i am wrong, but the preorders via Gilles Gérin were not at full price, but still with a big discount, not as big as KS backers, though.
When shipping started in August, Gilles mentioned that 2-3 units per week were supposed to be dedicated to his customers. Eventually, i guess he got less than that in average (since Smyth Research seems to have shipped barely 10 units per week in average since mid-August).
Still, congratulations to you, You Gene... I'll spend my 3rd Christmas without a A16 at the bottom of my tree. Hopefully the last one, though (silver lining and all...)

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #7,509 of 15,986
@Rene Lou @Richter Di @sander99 I have been meaning to write a thank you to you guys for sharing your PRIR files recently.. I got bogged down during the Thanksgiving Holiday period

anyway... thank you for sharing your PRIR files.. I finally got to load them this week and play around with them.... great job guys..they sound fantastic...

Dec 12, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #7,510 of 15,986
Ok... I went back through ALL of the settings and now I have the A16 setup in all modes to " Direct " input with no upmixing at all any where... now with the iphone hooked up through the HDMI adapter
playing back a movie ... it reports that the iphone is sending the data out in PCM Dolby Surround... so if you play a movie that is 7.1 then the A16 plays 7.1... or a movie with 5.1... then the A16 plays back 5.1... so that in itself is cool coming out of an iphone... and using the up arrow the A16 reports it correctly... what throws you off a little is that if you have a 9.1.6 PRIR loaded in the PCM slot then the up arrow reports that you are listening to 9.1.6 even if you are feeding the A16 with 7.1 Surround... you just need to go to the audio meter screen and you can see that 9.1.6 is loaded but populated by 7.1 or what ever processing for the movie you are playing back....

and with this setting when you play one of your music apps from the iphone then it feeds the A16 in 2 channel and plays back in 2 channel ... or the L/R speaker in a 9.1.6 PRIR...

and of course if you feel the need just turn on upmixing

so all is good... :)

I went ahead and bought Apple AV Adaptor and tested with my iPad Air 2. With Netflix and other apps. Whenever I plug the adapter in the picture and sound is redirected to HDMI and the iPad is used as a remote control interface. So no, my use case does not work the way I would like to.

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #7,511 of 15,986
You Gene will correct me if i am wrong, but the preorders via Gilles Gérin were not at full price, but still with a big discount, not as big as KS backers, though.
When shipping started in August, Gilles mentioned that 2-3 units per week were supposed to be dedicated to his customers. Eventually, i guess he got less than that in average (since Smyth Research seems to have shipped barely 10 units per week in average since mid-August).
Still, congratulations to you, You Gene... I'll spend my 3rd Christmas without a A16 at the bottom of my tree. Hopefully the last one, though (silver lining and all...)

https://av-in.com/collections/smyth-realiser/products/smyth-realiser-a16-format-vertical

Last October 2018, the price was the same as mentioned today on Gilles' website (see link above). Oh, and I forgot you still had to add shipping costs as well. No rebate that I know of at that time in 2018.
Do not forget that Heavenly Sound came in 2018 with a steep increase in price accordingly. My timing sucks....but you deserve yours Fox1977 and soon is not soon enough, that's for sure!

I found a post from you on 30th September 2016 on "projection-homecinema.fr" (while looking for the rebate you were talking about) saying : https://www.projection-homecinema.fr/forum/topic/2391-smyth-realiser-a8-test-en-cours/
(...concernant le prix promotionnel, suite au 2nd webinaire de dimanche, il restait 15 A16 proposés à 1497€. D'après le mail que j'ai reçu de Gilles Gérin ce matin, il en reste encore à ce prix-là...)
...regarding the promotional price...there remains 15 A16 offered at the price of EUR 1497...according to Gilles...

Other than this information, I cannot find anything on the subject of rebates.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #7,512 of 15,986
I went ahead and bought Apple AV Adaptor and tested with my iPad Air 2. With Netflix and other apps. Whenever I plug the adapter in the picture and sound is redirected to HDMI and the iPad is used as a remote control interface. So no, my use case does not work the way I would like to.

I sorta got the ipad mini 3 working but it wasn't a good way to watch/listen... I had to start the movie and then plug in the HDMI adapter a few times before the picture would stay and sound directed to the A16 and when it did it was not Dolby Surround like my newer iphone puts out Dolby surround to the A16 but of course the ipad and iphone plays music perfectly... thats with the HDMI or the Stereo input of the A16...

and of course the Apple TV 4K seems to be made for the A16 as it does everything for Atmos... only downside to the Apple TV 4K is its not as portable in that to use it you need to have a screen too... with the iphone or ipad it has built in screen so it works great with the A16 headstand so you can carry that setup around
What we need is a 4K OLED goggle setup with the Apple TV 4K/A16.... :)

I also found this article for what apple devices support atmos... so there is hope for a Apple/A16 Atmos setup if desired...

https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/11/apple-tv-content-supports-dolby-vision-and-dolby-atmos/

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #7,514 of 15,986
My A16 is running again. Stephen says the Tactile output is short circuit protected, so a possibly small impedance should not have caused the problem.
These stalls (stallings?) occur occasionally and they still do not know what causes it.
Reinstalling the FW is the workaround. I tried to recreate the problem but wasn't successful so far (good for me, not so good for the development).

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #7,515 of 15,986
My A16 is running again. Stephen says the Tactile output is short circuit protected, so a possibly small impedance should not have caused the problem.
These stalls (stallings?) occur occasionally and they still do not know what causes it.
Reinstalling the FW is the workaround. I tried to recreate the problem but wasn't successful so far (good for me, not so good for the development).
Great news ! you must feel very relieved that your unit is not damaged !! and then it means that BassMe should work with the A16 theoretically, if i got it right...

@You Gene Since you got it at full price, it's understandable that you get it before backers. Those who ordered via Gilles at the reduced price you mentioned already received their unit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back