Smyth Research Realiser A16
Dec 10, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #7,486 of 15,986
It doesn't work exactly like with the A8.

From the manual p. 40:
The head-top device has three tracking elements: inertial (gyro), magnetic and optical. The inertial element is the primary
means of tracking the rotation of the listener’s head
, with either the magnetic or optical elements being used to stabilise the
inertial tracking – i.e. to correct for inertial drift. The inertial tracker can also be used with no stabilisation.
The optical stabilisation requires a periodic pulse of IR light from the set-top device, whilst using magnetic stabilisation (or
NONE) does not require the set-top device. If magnetic stabilisation is used then the set-top device simply indicates that the
head-tracker is working and the approximate angle.
The gyro is ALWAYS used. It is only periodically stabilised by the optical signal.

So if you're in optical mode and your azimuth angle drifts wildly (i.e. your speakers move around you uncontrollable) plus the LED on the head top doesn't light up at all or never turns green (one of mine just flashed red periodically, the other one never lit up) please follow the procedure I posted in the other thread and linked above. This came directly from (James) Smyth.

Dec 10, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #7,488 of 15,986
Has anyone used A16 with an iPad? I wonder if my use case is even possible. I would like to watch Netflix etc. using my iPad so that the video would play from the iPad but the sound would come from A16. So the real question is that am I able to connect the iPad to Realiser A16 with Apple AV adapter so that I could watch the video from iPad but hear the audio from A16?
I have an hdmi adapter for my iPad which should work

Dec 10, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #7,492 of 15,986
Now that I re read your question I located my HDMI to Lightning adapter ... :) I'll test this out here in a while and report back... I'd like to see that work also... would make the A16 a cool portable device to watch movies...

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #7,493 of 15,986
Just to clarify: You use your iPad connected to A16 so that you see the video from your iPad but hear the multichannel audio from A16?

Does it work ?? Yes it works... maybe it works a little better than it should... :) OK, let me explain... First off my ipad is an older model.. the mini 3... so that version of ipad won't even see the HDMI adapter... but a newer one should... so instead, I inserted the HDMI to Lightning adaptor into my iphone 10 max... when you plug the HDMI adapter into the phone and the other end connected to the A16 there is a small blue icon that shows upper left of the screen... So here is what happens... I started out trying to play the movie " Mad Max " and the iphone reported " Can Not Play Movie connected display not authorized " so I switch to another movie .. the movie is " The Fall " and it too has the " Can Not Play Movie " .... so now I disconnect the HDMI adapter and start the movie again to make sure it was going to play correctly just on the iphone... the movie started to play back and so I plugged the HDMI adapter back into the iphone while the movie was being played back and the A16 picked up the audio and the video was still playing on the iphone... :) GREAT
... so yes you can watch a movie on the iphone/ipad (newer version ) if you start the movie first and then plug in the HDMI adapter... it played back both movies in Dolby Surround
with the PRIR BBC HDMI #1 and the audio meter display showing 14 of the 16 speakers being played back... the only speakers not showing activity are the LW and RW speakers... all of the other speakers are being played back... so all you have to do is start a movie then hit the pause and plug in the HDMI adapter and hit the play and it works perfectly....

Now to the statement " maybe it works a little better than it should " So when you go and test the setup with the iphone and this time instead of watching a movie you switch over to music apps... guess what... the A16 somehow plays back the music in Dolby Surround too... strange behavior ... I guess its up mixing 2 ch to 9.1.6 ??? does a great job at it.. sounds pretty good with HDMI versus the 2 ch stereo input...

so there ya go.. a new way to use the A16 enjoy...

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #7,495 of 15,986
Just out of curiosity (I don't have an iphone or ipad anyway):
@Dixter: but can you determine with certainty how many channels were going to the A16 when playing the movie? Could it have been a 2 channel downmix and the A16 upmixing it like it did with the 2 channel music?

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #7,496 of 15,986
I just received a mail from Gilles, the French importer asking for particulars before shipping!!! it would ship to me end of the week (to Belgium), hopefully after the present strikes in France.

And I was complaining about the delay the other day...shame on me.

To be honest, I feel a bit guilty receiving my A16 before most of the Kickstarters. It doesn't feel right at all. This is something that had to be said!

Back to tutos, manuals and all this stuff I do not particularly like, but in this instance I will make the effort. As if I had the choice...

I will be back with questions only. Do not trust me at all regarding technically minded answers!

You Gene

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #7,497 of 15,986
There are no settings on the iphone/ipad for discerning outputs/settings for the output like you have for the Apple TV 4K unit... so my guess is its most likely taking 2 channel and upmixing it for both movie and music... but its very convincing for what its doing... while watching the audio meters the A16 isn't just sending the 2 channel signals to all of the rest of the speakers as I think you would be able to see this on the meters as all of the meters would look the same activity/level for the left signal and then the right signal... instead what you see on the audio meter is 14 very distinct channels with each delivering a different subset of the audio as if someone had mixed it that way.. the two missing channels are the LW and RW so those show no activity...

whats also interesting is on the main display page its showing the A16 using the ATMOS channel HDMI PCM discrete 8 channel for 2 ch music/movies and all of the speakers with the exception of the LW RW are flashing showing music content coming from the speakers... and it sounds amazing... I flipped back and forth with a 2 ch PRIR and a 9.1.6 Atmos.. and you can tell the difference easily....

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #7,499 of 15,986
How can I solo or select all overhead channel? I try to press "OH" but nothing happen.
Main menu -> Settings -> System -> Assign solo/mute keys

With firmware 1.75 you can now assign speakers to the "top" group of buttons and bottom numeric keypad buttons separately. The bottom numeric buttons are either (a) direct preset selectors 1-9 if you don't "enable" them to be solo buttons, or (b) solo buttons for speakers of your assignment and choice if you "enable" the keypad group switch, and then press ENTER to drill down one level to do the assignment.

Furthermore, the OH key in the top group can now be assigned up to 7 different speakers as a single solo group. For example, one could assign Ltf, Rtf, Ltm, Rtm, Ltr and Rtr and listen to all six top Atmos speakers together using just the OH key. Note that this new OH group assignment works regardless of whether the Key Pad group is enabled or disabled.

See the 1.75 firmware release notes for pictures and description of these changes. Also section 5.3.1 in the .091 manual for original information about solo keys.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #7,500 of 15,986
so my guess is its most likely taking 2 channel
You don't have to guess. The A16 says you exactly what the input is and what it is making out of it.
In speaker map display: When Atmos is decoded the Dolby logo with DOLBY ATMOS is shown. When other Dolby codecs except Atmos it shows the Dolby Logo and DOLBY AUDIO.
When PCM it says x ch PCM.
Now press the up arrow key and it tells you exactly what it gets and what it does with it. See p. 128/129 and Fig 26-4
I suppose in your case it says Decode 2.0.0 Listen 9.1.6 and Upmixer on.
The Dolby Surround upmixer does not use the Front Wide Speakers.

the A16 using the ATMOS channel HDMI PCM discrete 8 channel
Here is something mixed up. Either it is Atmos or PCM. You can set up a 9.1.6 PCM room and with the upmixer on it upmixes 2-8 ch PCM to 9.1.6 but that's not Atmos and not the Atmos Listening Room then, if the speaker map display don't show the Dolby Logo but PCM.
Note that the upmixer setting in the Preset are different for Dolby signals and PCM signals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back