Smyth Research Realiser A16
Apr 6, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #736 of 15,986
Yes and no.

First of all, you're pretty fortunate to have a matching set of speakers for 7.1. Some people can't afford that, some people don't have the space/wife permission, some people have noise laws and neighbors too close. I fit into these "some people" categories (all of them!). The great majority of positional audio is designed only for 5.1 or 7.1 surround systems, so usually you're going to enjoy a superb experience.

Yes, theoretically you can get a positional reading for height speakers by having your head (and, ideally, your torso) leaning about 15° towards each speaker (for a spherical effect). Sounds will seem to come from above,

No, it won't sound like an Atmos system, because it won't sound like a speaker placed close to the ceiling. Remember, you're not just recording speaker positions, you are also recording the room acoustics, and you would be taking measurements of the speakers placed at the central height of the room relative to the floor and ceiling. Again, you will still get a sense of height speakers, but sound less realistic than speakers raised to the proper height relative to the room.

So if I just use the 7.1 measurements of my actual current home theater will the A16 "create" the 4 ceiling speakers in where they would guesstimate those would be or do I still need to lower my head to get that measurement?

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #737 of 15,986

So if I just use the 7.1 measurements of my actual current home theater will the A16 "create" the 4 ceiling speakers in where they would guesstimate those would be or do I still need to lower my head to get that measurement?

If you measure a 7.1 system, you'll get a virtual 7.1 room reproducing exactly your system.
For there, you'll have two possibilities :
- you can extract your HRTF (in short, kind of virtual model of your head and ears, it's more complex than that, but it gives an idea) and inject it in the measurement of a 7.1.4 room that someone else will have offered so that you can get a result very close to the actual measurement you would get if you were physically in that room. It will not be YOUR system anymore but it can be the measurement of a very high-end system customized to your head
- you can take the measurement of YOUR system and mix it with another one, in this case take the .4 high surround channels and add them to your 7.1 own system so that you can continue to use your own personal system, but enhanced from 7.1 to 7.1.4
Both these operations will be done though the Realiser Exchange website.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #738 of 15,986
will the HRTF change if I do it in my house vs. AIX studio in Los Angeles for example? Since its the model of your head, it should not right?

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #739 of 15,986
  will the HRTF change if I do it in my house vs. AIX studio in Los Angeles for example? Since its the model of your head, it should not right?

Theoretically no, but practically you would need to use the same microphones and still there might be slight variations if you don't insert the microphones in your ears in the exact same position. Otherwise, it supposed to be the same, and that's precisely why you can inject your own HRTF in a measurement made by someone else. According to the Smyth brothers, the results is approximately estimated to around 80-90% of the result one would get making the measurement himself in the room.

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #740 of 15,986
Saw an update on their Kickstarter page that they've moved shipping back to August, but they are now planning to ship all preorders at the same time whether you were a KS backer or preorder up until the June 30, 2017 preorder price cutoff.

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #741 of 15,986
  Saw an update on their Kickstarter page that they've moved shipping back to August, but they are now planning to ship all preorders at the same time whether you were a KS backer or preorder up until the June 30, 2017 preorder price cutoff.

yup got the mail saying that too, but I don't mind waiting
frown.gif
, I don't need it
tongue_smile.gif
, I already have great custom speaker simulation

***cries in unrealistic and small headstage that's just barely better than nothing***

bah August is right at the corner... of July

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #742 of 15,986
Also it will ship with HDMI 2.0a so those who raised issues with the original spec HDMI 1.4, now should be pleased.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #743 of 15,986

yup got the mail saying that too, but I don't mind waiting
frown.gif
, I don't need it
tongue_smile.gif
, I already have great custom speaker simulation

***cries in unrealistic and small headstage that's just barely better than nothing***

bah August is right at the corner... of July

Also it will ship with HDMI 2.0a so those who raised issues with the original spec HDMI 1.4, now should be pleased.

Selfishly as someone who just found out this thing even existed like a week ago and hasn't put in a preorder quite yet it sounds like as long as I do before 6/30 I won't have to wait much if any longer than KS backers and early preorders to receive a unit.

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #744 of 15,986
Did anyone else NOT get an email that delivery was pushed back?

HDMI 2.0a support is smart. Still angry with the wife she made us get the curved 65" LG that only has 2.0 support via HDMI. She does get it. Doesn't care.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #746 of 15,986
I think the email was sent automatically by Kickstarter as an update. If you log into your Kickstarter account you'll see the same thing.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #747 of 15,986
Did anyone else NOT get an email that delivery was pushed back?

HDMI 2.0a support is smart. Still angry with the wife she made us get the curved 65" LG that only has 2.0 support via HDMI. She does get it. Doesn't care.

I didn't. I only got the mail for the final payment which i made.

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #748 of 15,986
i didnt get any email , i pre ordered before 1.5 month ,, and only paid 700$ till now ..

btw ,, here is the update ( from Kickstarter page ).
 Unfortunately due to a number of hold-ups in the metalwork and moulding manufacturing we are unable to fulfil our original shipping timetable. We now expect to begin shipping sometime August 2017. On the plus side we will now be shipping all Kickstarter and Pre-Sales A16s together, irrespective of pledge level or pre-sale price, and we almost certainly will be able to include the new MDS HDMI 2.0a (4k HDR) board in each unit.

I apologise for the delay

Stephen Smyth

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #749 of 15,986
  i didnt get any email , i pre ordered before 1.5 month ,, and only paid 700$ till now ..

btw ,, here is the update ( from Kickstarter page ).

I'd mail them if I were you, just to check if nothing went wrong. As I understand the last payment is due for everyone.

and we almost certainly will be able to include the new MDS HDMI 2.0a (4k HDR) board in each unit.

Does that board have HDMI 2.0 for all 4 HDMI connections?

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #750 of 15,986
  I'd mail them if I were you, just to check if nothing went wrong. As I understand the last payment is due for everyone.

Thanks for your concern ,,
when i made the payment ,, this is the response i got at that time ,
but i will email them now to double check , i hope every thing is as planed.

Approximately one month before the 30 June 2017 deadline we will contact you to confirm your shipping address and we will then tell you the final balance that remains to be paid. If you wish to pay your balance before we contact you then you must email us with your request, in order for us to confirm your address and determine your final balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back