Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 20, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #5,716 of 15,986
Furthermore the FAQ states:

They talk about a DVD, so probably no Atmos measuring signal, even with the disc.

What theoretically could work is if you can assign 8 ch out of up to 16 to the HDMI PCM out and then to an AVR (with the speakers to be measured connected to the corresponding channels) for a first PRIR of e.g. the 7.1 setup and then reassign and reconnect 4 (or 6) height speakers.
If this would work then at least people with AVRs that have no 8ch analog inputs will have a better chance to measure up to 16 speakers with two measurement runs.
And do you want to take that setup to your friendly neighborhood HiFi dealer with an fully tricked out Atmos room to make your PRIR?

Aug 20, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #5,717 of 15,986
That's the sort of query better kept in your own head. The last thing I want is another delay for compliance.
Actually, I kind of thought there had to be some certificates of compliance on things like electrical safety and I would have thought that encompassed having a manual, even if it's only a pdf. Maybe someone knows if there some sort of stamp on the box indicating compliance with all relevant safety and regulatory requirements.

Aug 20, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #5,718 of 15,986
I asked you already, where do you get your infos from?

Oh..sorry for the late answer... I asked their IT person... and that is what he told me... James is editing it personally and will hand it off for the upload when he has completed the edit... at least thats what I am told... there were screen changes that happened due to the firmware update and that is what is being changed with the manual instructions and release notes...

The thing with the firmware updates is the manual is where they keep the firmware update notes... so you can look at the firmware version loaded on your A8 or A16 realiser and the manual you have should also be labeled as the
same firmware version... I did ask for the prior revision manual as it hadn't been released and did not get it... so we wait... I am surprised its not there yet...

Aug 20, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #5,719 of 15,986
Oh..sorry for the late answer... I asked their IT person... and that is what he told me... James is editing it personally and will hand it off for the upload when he has completed the edit... at least thats what I am told... there were screen changes that happened due to the firmware update and that is what is being changed with the manual instructions and release notes...

The thing with the firmware updates is the manual is where they keep the firmware update notes... so you can look at the firmware version loaded on your A8 or A16 realiser and the manual you have should also be labeled as the
same firmware version... I did ask for the prior revision manual as it hadn't been released and did not get it... so we wait... I am surprised its not there yet...

Thank you!

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #5,721 of 15,986
I have no idea how to measure a PRIR. Like I know where the setting is to do it. I go through and select the speakers that I want to measure just fine, but when it come to playing the sweeps, the A16 says it’s noting it but nothing is happening.

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #5,722 of 15,986
I have no idea how to measure a PRIR. Like I know where the setting is to do it. I go through and select the speakers that I want to measure just fine, but when it come to playing the sweeps, the A16 says it’s noting it but nothing is happening.
So how did you connect the Realiser to your other equipment? Have you found a volume control for the 16 channel analog output of the Realiser or the test sweeps?

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #5,723 of 15,986
Aug 20, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #5,724 of 15,986
So how did you connect the Realiser to your other equipment? Have you found a volume control for the 16 channel analog output of the Realiser or the test sweeps?

I connected it from the 1-2 analog out of the A16 to a two channel RCA input on the receiver. My plan was to measure a speaker at a time because I don’t have a 6 or 8 channel analog input. There is a max volume setting for the sweeps which is set by default to 89 so that should be plenty high. I tried both settings, a sync which is what I figured I want but I get to a screen where it says waiting for input and I don’t know how to advance. I tried “all” mode just to see if that worked and the display showed it sending sweeps and but still not any output. It takes a reasonable amount of tear down to get my A16 to the receiver and then I have to mess with disconnecting speakers so I’m not sure how much more patience I have to keep trying and failing. Hopefully the manual comes soon.

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #5,725 of 15,986
Aug 20, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #5,726 of 15,986
I connected it from the 1-2 analog out of the A16 to a two channel RCA input on the receiver. My plan was to measure a speaker at a time because I don’t have a 6 or 8 channel analog input. There is a max volume setting for the sweeps which is set by default to 89 so that should be plenty high. I tried both settings, a sync which is what I figured I want but I get to a screen where it says waiting for input and I don’t know how to advance. I tried “all” mode just to see if that worked and the display showed it sending sweeps and but still not any output. It takes a reasonable amount of tear down to get my A16 to the receiver and then I have to mess with disconnecting speakers so I’m not sure how much more patience I have to keep trying and failing. Hopefully the manual comes soon.
There is an A8 manual online, perhaps the analog procedure for the A16 closely follows the A8 procedure. Anyway, might be worth a try.

Aug 20, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #5,727 of 15,986
A few A-8 users got PRIRs done at a theater in LA and I don't remember any of them liking it. My understanding (could be wrong) is that if the room is to big compared to where you are listening with the head phones the illusion breaks down. It also gets to echoey.
I think you are right. That’s why I don’t like many presets in Out Of Your Head.
Last time I was at the movies, I was closing eyes to pay attention to how it sounded, and I could feel the reverb due to the big theater room. And I thought “Here, the sound is fine, but if I had the same watching my TV 3m from me, that would not sound great”
I eventually found one preset in OOYH that fits me quite fine and i’ve been using it for a few years while waiting for my A16.

Aug 20, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #5,729 of 15,986
The lack of HDMI audio passthrough is pretty annoying and I'm only on 24 hours of having redone my setup with things hooked up to the A16. I have a ton of stuff that I do want to listen to in surround with headphones, but sometimes if I'm playing a game or it's something that doesn't have a surround track I just want the ease of being able to listen through the speakers of my tv. A lot of time it will just be background noise as I'm doing homework or surfing the internet.

There is an A8 manual online, perhaps the analog procedure for the A16 closely follows the A8 procedure. Anyway, might be worth a try.

I looked and while I think the actual process is pretty similar, the items in the menu seem to all be labeled differently between the A8 and A16. I'm still not getting anywhere. I think I have to wait until the user manual is released or someone here that receives one figures it out and can kind of walk me through it.

Aug 20, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #5,730 of 15,986
I just want the ease of being able to listen through the speakers of my tv.

Could you use the optical out on the A16 to the TV as a short term work around while you await the manual?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back