1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Smyth Research Realiser A16

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jgazal, May 7, 2016.
First

Back
365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374
376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385
Next

Last
  1. audiohobbit
    In the meantime you can create an unboxing-video and put it on youtube... :ksc75smile:

You're the first, man! (The first man. Like Ryan Neil Gosling-Armstrong. One small step for a head-fier... )

jgazal likes this.
  2. Got the Shakes
    Problem is that all I have is my iPhone, and I don’t have a tripod or someone to hold it for an unboxing. Not sure how great a one handed unboxing video would be lol.

3. audiohobbit
    I was joking, but: few pictures maybe?
    Must be like christmas...

4. Got the Shakes
    Pictures I can do. I’ll take a bunch as I’m setting things up and throw them into an album and post here. :)

GU1DO and audiohobbit like this.
  5. phoenixdogfan
    I am actually more optimistic than I've been in some time. Because the Smyths are able to obtain cash flow, I think they'll be able to produce some product for those of us who will pay the premium price. This probably means they will ship about 10 units a week to Kickstarter and preorder cutomers. That means roughly 6-9 months before they satisfy those commitments and become a "going concern". At that point they should have some cash to ramp production, and get the Realiser Exchange off the ground. And I must say, when the Smyths have something to say, they do respond. I just think they were inundated with a lot of pointless "Is it soup yet?" kind of questions and didn't see the point in responding to them.

And I know a lot of the preorder and kickstarter investors feel they've been given short shrift, but your day will come, and sometimes when you pay $100 for a $500 pair of shoes at a discount store you have to put up with a few blisters while you break them in. Your patience will be rewarded, I hope.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    sahmen likes this.
  6. hadron70
    20190819_221505.jpg
    Buzz Aldrin here.

I also received the A16 today. I browsed through the menus, and it is just as intimidating as the A8. The Smyths were in full nerd-mode again. No chance without a manual. The display is much nicer than the A8's, though.

One nice info snippet: When looking at early pictures of the remote, I was concerned that it would not be possible to switch on and off all the speakers individually (since there are 16 now). A feature I loved on the A8. But it turns out that it is still possible by using the 1-9 keys as well. Photo proof attached.

One not-so-nice info snippet: I was not able to update the firmware ("no update files found"). Maybe it's the 128GB microSD card, although I formatted it with FAT32 using a specialized third-party tool. I will try again with a 16GB card.

ajax1, teacher1000, GU1DO and 5 others like this.
  7. sander99
    Indeed it will be a bit of a challange to figure out how you should position your head, and ideally also your torso, when measuring some of the height speakers. Example excercise: determine how to hold your torso and head in front of a floorstanding speaker to measure the left rear atmos ceiling speaker for the looking angle 30° left.
    To make things easier I would advice @KaiSc and others to make a stand on which you can elevate and tilt a speaker at the necessary heights and tilting angles. Then at least the customer/"test subject" only has to turn in the horizontal on a swivel chair. [Tilting up to 45 degrees woul be enough. Only for the "voice of god" straight up the customer can bend over 45 degrees so the 45 degree speaker is straigt "above" (relatively speaking) his head.]

arnaud likes this.
  8. Fox1977
    Wonderful news for you ! You must be so glad to get it at last !!
    Were you a KickStarter backer ? If so, which were your order in the line ?
    I have a suggestion: people could edit their signature to write if they are a KS backer with their number or a preorder. It could be interesting to see straight away this info.
    I edited mine.

Richter Di likes this.
  9. Richter Di
    Same questions to @hadron70
    And I also edited my signature.

10. hadron70
    To get this one I paid the full price.

11. Camano
    I'd also like to see folks put their country in the signature - it would help clarify the context of some replies.

(Edit)
    As hadron70 gently pointed out below, it's in the location field of your personal details, but many folks haven't filled that in, so same request to update the location field in your personal details.

Thanks!

12. hadron70
    It's in the right part of each post's header.

Richter Di likes this.
  13. phoenixdogfan
    This is where those of us who have had practice with the Kama Sutra will have an advantage over the rest of you.:D

Evshrug and Richter Di like this.
  14. Sanctuary
    I know they need to make money on these units, but are they just going to keep selling the current units they have to those willing to pay full price for them before sending out those to who have been waiting years? Pretty scummy if so.

VerloK and Richter Di like this.
  15. Richter Di
    Again like with @Got the Shakes I congratulate you. No hard feelings. If I would have the money I might have done the same thing.
    At the same time it also completely disillusions me. The only two A16 in the hands of fellow headfiers are not KS backers but paid in full customers.
    They obviously care the most for new business and much less about those of us who have invested our money August 2016.

First

Back
365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374
376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385
Next

Last