Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jul 17, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #5,011 of 15,985
I figured that the first we’ll hear of shipping will come from the French distributor not Smyth as it seems he posts info before Smyth does. He did say they acquired the Dolby certification before Smyth posted the update and also said they were planning on shipping the units “this summer”. Does really narrow it down that much since summer still covers the next 2+ months.

Jul 17, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #5,013 of 15,985
I think the next quesstion to ask is what percentage of movies are being released to Blue-Ray and/or streaming that are full Dolby Atmos or DTX or Auro 3d?

Jul 17, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #5,014 of 15,985
I figured that the first we’ll hear of shipping will come from the French distributor

I'd be tipping/hoping that Smyth would be sending out emails to everyone a good few weeks or a month+ before shipping to confirm mailing addresses or at least reminding us to update any details that have changed since the initial launch.

Ideally they'd have something in place to confirm/update details on their site (not all were through Kickstarter)

Until that happens I've little faith in any talk of "shipping soon" etc

Jul 17, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #5,015 of 15,985
I'd be tipping/hoping that Smyth would be sending out emails to everyone a good few weeks or a month+ before shipping to confirm mailing addresses or at least reminding us to update any details that have changed since the initial launch.

Ideally they'd have something in place to confirm/update details on their site (not all were through Kickstarter)

Until that happens I've little faith in any talk of "shipping soon" etc

They'll no doubt have to send a survey out to confirm addresses, etc. What I was trying to say was that I have a feeling that the French distributor has done a better job of updating us on things than Smyth has and I bet he'll be the first one to post anything regarding address confirmations being sent out. He was the first one to post about failing the first Dolby cert and passing it the second time.

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #5,017 of 15,985
I think the next quesstion to ask is what percentage of movies are being released to Blue-Ray and/or streaming that are full Dolby Atmos or DTX or Auro 3d?

Dunno about Blu-ray, although there have been at least a few that have been released with Atmos tracks, and a very large amount have DTS, if that's what you meant. Seems like on the bigger releases, Atmos is being released more frequently on UHD anymore. I only have 22 UHDs so far, but only The Dark Knight and Planet Earth 2 do not have Atmos.

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #5,018 of 15,985
I question if James knows the meaning of "right away." :) It has been six business days since they announced that they had been certified, but no reports of shipping notices, AFAIK. (And no response to questions about it on Kickstarter, naturally.)
1345449148235_4597436.png

sorry for feeding the troll, I'm weak(and slightly evil:smiling_imp:).

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #5,019 of 15,985
What I imagine is now standing between us and shipping notices going out are the following. Some items can take place concurrent with other items. The sequence of events is also not necessarily as outlined.

1)the, by now, standard degree of company disorganization. I had to state that up front.
2)ordering of shipping boxes(assuming that all of the Kickstarter units have been assembled)
3)flashing now Dolby-approved firmware on all of the units
4)adding CanJam, etc., PRIRs to the appropriate subset of units
5)emailing Kickstarter buyers to confirm shipping information
6)final confirmation of receipt of shipping information from Kickstarter buyers
7)arrival of boxes for shipping
8)packing boxes
9)shipping and emailing tracking information

Jul 17, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #5,020 of 15,985
I have to say that I am kind of surprised that James Smyth's rumored statement about shipping "right away" after Dolby certification has got people all fired up about receiving their A-16s soon, even without having directly received from the Smyths themselves any shipping news, or even address verification e-mails. In my experience, such verification e-mails sent to backers constitute the first and most reliable concrete pieces of evidence confirming the manufacturer's intent to ship, and to do so imminently, even though they do not represent 100% rock solid guarantees, and they can be sent out three months or more ahead of actual shipping dates.

To be fair, I do understand the impatience behind the excitement, as I do feel it myself. What is a bit surprising is how much some people seem to have forgotten so quickly (perhaps because of James Smyth's "right away" statement), the abysmal record of the Smyths in any practices of prompt communication... Come on dudes! This is Smyth mail! Their motto is, and has always been, " getting it to you sloooo... oooo... oooly..., if at all...

More slowly than Tortoise mail.... not to mention snail mail !"

tenor.gif
snailmail.gif
snail-clipart-non-living-thing-4.gif

Now we are not going to believe too easily that even a snail (which is faster than Smyth mail) can be transformed into a supersonic rocket, just because James Smyth has used the expression "right away" somewhere, or are we?:)

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #5,021 of 15,985
I have to say that I am kind of surprised that James Smyth's rumored statement about shipping "right away" after Dolby certification has got people all fired up about receiving their A-16s soon, even without having directly received from the Smyths themselves any shipping news, or even address verification e-mails. In my experience, such verification e-mails sent to backers constitute the first and most reliable concrete pieces of evidence confirming the manufacturer's intent to ship, and to do so imminently, even though they do not represent 100% rock solid guarantees, and they can be sent out three months or more ahead of actual shipping dates.

To be fair, I do understand the impatience behind the excitement, as I do feel it myself. What is a bit surprising is how much some people seem to have forgotten so quickly (perhaps because of James Smyth's "right away" statement), the abysmal record of the Smyths in any practices of prompt communication... Come on dudes! This is Smyth mail! Their motto is, and has always been, " getting it to you sloooo... oooo... oooly..., if at all...

More slowly than Tortoise mail.... not to mention snail mail !"

tenor.gif
snailmail.gif
snail-clipart-non-living-thing-4.gif

Now we are not going to believe too easily that even a snail (which is faster than Smyth mail) can be transformed into a supersonic rocket, just because James Smyth has used the expression "right away" somewhere, or are we?:)

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Reminds me. One night a long time ago, my door bell rung at 3 o'clock in the morning. I went down and opened the door, and there's a snail standing there and he asked me "Hey buddy, want to buy an A16 Realiser?" I kick him and he flies off my porch, out of the front yard, and across the street. I close the door and go back to bed. Ten years later, there's a ring of the doorbell at 3am, and I answer the door, and its the snail, and he asks me "So what the f*ck was that all about?"

Jul 17, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #5,022 of 15,985
One issue which is not very clear to me concerns the Realiser Exchange site : https://realiserexchange.com/Home#

The key question is this: in what state of readiness should one reasonably expect that site to be at the time the A-16s ship? If it is meant to be fully functional by the time the A16s are in the hands of customers, then its present state should be really discouraging to all of us..., as it is extremely rudimentary at best, with only a set of banners sliding on the page in a looping formation, and a few miserable links that seem to lead nowhere... I frankly find it hard to understand that sloppiness of the site at this stage in the A-16's development, since it is a website whose development should be largely independent from that of the A-16 itself, given that the website's development does not require any of the factors that have delayed the progress of the A-16 itself, such as Dolby certification and whatnot, in order to keep up its own progress.

One can assume that the Smyths have had all the time in the world to oversee the construction of that site, and yet, if you ask me today whether the site looks convincingly like one which the Smyths are expecting to go into full operation even in about 3 months from now, I will have to say no. But why is that the case? In the absence of the A16, the site (with all bells and whistles in place) could have been one excellent opportunity for the Smyths to generate even more interest in the A-16, whet the appetite of their existing customers, while courting new ones, even as everyone awaits shipping. That is the very least one would normally expect from any serious 21st century business in this industry. So again why this sloppiness? More importantly, why this apparent lack of concern on their part as to how their realiser exchange site is looking or functioning if they are indeed planning to ship out the A-16 units soon?

I have to say that I do not find the present state of that site to be encouraging at all, as a prospective owner of an A-16, who (rightly or wrongly) expects the A-16s to ship out soon.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #5,023 of 15,985
One issue which is not very clear to me concerns the Realiser Exchange site : https://realiserexchange.com/Home#

The key question is this: in what state of readiness should one reasonably expect that site to be at the time the A-16s ship? If it is meant to be fully functional by the time the A16s are in the hands of customers, then its present state should be really discouraging to all of us..., as it is extremely rudimentary at best, with only a set of banners sliding on the page in a looped formation, and a few miserable links that seem to lead nowhere... I frankly find it hard to understand the that sloppiness of the site at this stage in the A-16's development, since it is a website whose development should be largely independent from that of the A-16 itself, given that the website's development does not require any of the factors that have delayed the progress of the A-16 itself, such as Dolby certification and whatnot, in order to keep up its own progress.

One can assume that the Smyths have had all the time in the world to oversee the construction of that site, and yet, if you ask me today whether the site looks convincingly like one which the Smyths are expecting to go into full operation even in about 3 months from now, I will have to say no. But why is that the case? In the absence of the A16, the site (with all bells and whistles in place) could have been one excellent opportunity for the Smyths to generate even more interest in the A-16, whet the appetite of their existing customers, while courting new ones, even as everyone awaits shipping. That is the very least one would normally expect from any serious 21st century business in this industry. So again why this sloppiness? More importantly, why this apparent lack of concern on their part as to how their Realiser exchange site is looking or functioning if they are indeed planning to ship out the A-16 units soon?

I have to say that I do not find the present state of that site to be encouraging at all, as a prospective owner of an A-16, who (rightly or wrongly) expects the A-16s to ship out soon.

I think I've written here a hundred times that the A16 is just a big, expensive boat anchor without customer support and software. As to why the Realiser Exchange site is in such a rudimentary state, maybe it's because they' re under capitalized and lack the resources to support this product in the field by recruiting PRIR room providers, employing a CSR staff to provide the technical support to fix poorly recorded PRIRs, customize BRIRs, and just answer customer questions about one of the most complex consumer audio products ever made.

That's one of the reason's why hung back on getting in on the kick starter, and pre-order.

There are other reasons, however. For one, I have to wonder about the need of a greater than 7.1 channel virtualizer--especially over headphones. I think that there's a real question of how something like Dolby Atmos or Auro 3D could ever be anything other than a niche format for movie soundtrack reproduction. And it's not hard to see why this could be the case if you think about it. For one, how many people will set up a room with a 16 channel receiver, and 16 discrete speakers--especially 4 height channels. Not many, I'd wager. So that means headphones are perhaps the best possible venue for popularizing these formats. But what's the most viable (potentially) method of virtualizing? Why, it's the $4000 A16 Realiser, of course.

See the problem? On the one hand you can get 16 channel movie reproduction by buying a 150 lb 16 channel Home theater receiver, 16 speakers, and setting apart a dedicated room, while keeping yourself out of divorce court in the process. On the other hand, you can buy a $4000 piece of equipment, a $1-4k flagship headphone, and maybe a fancy headphone amp, and then you're good to go.

You and who else? Who else is about to make the financial commitment in the kind of numbers that will motivate content providers to make gobs and gobs of Atmos/Auro/DTX movies? I would think very few people, which will make these formats an ultra niche product unless and until there exists a way for consumers to enjoy this technology for a small fraction of its current price of entry.

That why, at best this feels the the roll out of HDTV in the mid 90s. I remember going in to one of my favorite High End Dealers in 1996 and seeing a $4k 48in rear projection tv, and I had to practically break my arm to keep it from reaching for my checkbook. (It was like that final scene in Dr Strangelove, believe me). My higher brain functions prevailed in that case, and I bought my first HDTV (a $1500 Sony RPTV in 2004), and, I was glad I restrained myself because I paid 1/3 the price, got a much larger screen, and had program material I could actually watch and enjoy, and money in my 401k.

I think the A16 Realiser is like that 48in $4k RPTV that sold in 1996 when there was no HDTV on cable, satellite or broadcast TV. By making this a niche product which requires the support of the mass market to fully enjoy, the Smyths have made something which won't develop the very market it seeks to piggyback upon.

Makes a lot more sense, I think to wait for the development of the content market, and a better, cheaper product to enjoy that content.

Jul 18, 2019 at 1:34 AM Post #5,024 of 15,985
motivate content providers to make gobs and gobs of Atmos/Auro/DTX movies?

Isn't the audio content already there from the cinema release?

For one, how many people will set up a room with a 16 channel receiver, and 16 discrete speakers--especially 4 height channels

I think that's the beauty of Atmos and other object oriented audio formats - the system knows where the speakers are, how many there are and delivers the best sound utilising those.

I think the A16 Realiser is like that 48in $4k RPTV that sold in 1996 when there was no HDTV on cable, satellite or broadcast TV.

Probably closer using the A8 in that analogy - the A16 is cheaper, has significant upgrades and current tech compared to the A8 (which is loved by those who use it)

Jul 18, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #5,025 of 15,985

Pretty much every new action sci fi horror bigger studio movie has an atmos track, and alot of the older movies being released on uhd blu rays have atmos or dtsx tracks

Alot of netflix titles have atmos tracks like the more recent marvel series. And vudu netflix and Amazon have atmos tracks for alot of titles as well. It's a well embraced format and for good reason xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back