Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jun 29, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #2,972 of 15,986
Got the same emails. I’ve been following them on Facebook and Twitter since I backed the A16, but their social media up to this point has been worthless as a source of information.

Jun 29, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #2,973 of 15,986
Got the same, but what I am expecting is an update, not a Twitter link !
how important what they are doing at the moment ?
i think some members are complaining out of nothing ,,
just receiving an email from them is a gesture that they are working on the product and they here ,
so don't panic .

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #2,974 of 15,986
just receiving an email from them is a gesture that they are working on the product and they here ,
so don't panic .

I'm not panicking but if they took 5 minutes to send links (that are not very relevant because anyway only those who are in the mailing list received it, but precisely those in the mailing list already receive all the update news), they might have used these 5 minutes to tell us where they are at with the development. According to the last email, software should be over and the A16 should be already sent for certification, so they might have sent a few lines to say if they reached these achievements or not.
Yet, maybe they will send an update later today or in the forthcoming days.

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #2,975 of 15,986
Yeah, nah - I got nothing

Even the biggest fanboy would have to agree that the lack of communication is starting to wear thin.

Kickstarter for "Smyth Delivers? - $0.05" would probably get a few takers.

Jun 29, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #2,976 of 15,986
how important what they are doing at the moment ?
i think some members are complaining out of nothing ,,
so don't panic .

And what if you do not even receive the e-mail? I am a backer, but I never received even this e-mail. Indeed, since becoming a backer in September of 2017, and completing all related payments, and customer surveys in October 2017, I have received only one update via e-mail, the one which came out in November 2017, about "hardware," "firmware," and "exchange website." To be fair, James Smyth usually responds very quickly when I send him an email to inquire or gripe about something, and I am sure he will forward this recently circulated e-mail to me if I were to write to ask (which I am not going to do), but is it not very clear that their mailing list does not even include all backers? And isn't that a cause for concern?

It seems clear that, as compared to the communication practices of other similar--and much less expensive--kickstarter projects (Such as the Yarra, and Audeze Mobius projects) the operation of the Smyths leaves a lot to be desired (and that is putting it very mildly, and generously). If there appears to be too much griping or panicking on this site at times, one has to lay the blame (or some of it, at the very least) squarely at the feet of the Smyths. There is a lot they can do (at very little expense, or cost to themselves) in the area of timely communications to assuage the anxieties of their buyers when unavoidable delays occur, but they are doing little to nothing about that, and that is just too bad.

I have vowed never to become a habitual whiner on head-fi, especially, about things I cannot change, but your own complaint, that "some members are complaining out of nothing" has prompted me to make an exception this time, because it sounded like a textbook example of "blaming the victim." I think the Smyths themselves deserve some of the blame, and that ought to be acknowledged.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #2,977 of 15,986
I don't think anyone is saying that the Smyths don't deserve any blame, but the flip side of that is the people who blame them constantly, every day. We get it already. The Smyths are brilliant engineers who, to some people's surprisee, don't have the best communications skills! Point made and taken. This poor horse is beyond dead. It's a bloody pulp.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #2,979 of 15,986
Year+ after promised delivery date

Zero "supporter chat" to let the people who've spent money to know what's happening

Shows where the product is pushed/advertised

New "partnership"

Zero "supporter chat" to let the people who've spent money to know what's happening

Are they out of cash at the 11th hour?

99% there, but can't convert the last percent?

Honestly, the $600k?? they got off the Kickstarter must have run out by now
they either need to produce or launch again on indigogo

Me dropping my pants and slapping people with my trout would give people a more realistic and immersive experience than anything Smyth have produced so far.

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #2,980 of 15,986
And what if you do not even receive the e-mail? I am a backer, but I never received even this e-mail. Indeed, since becoming a backer in September of 2017, and completing all related payments, and customer surveys in October 2017, I have received only one update via e-mail, the one which came out in November 2017, about "hardware," "firmware," and "exchange website." To be fair, James Smyth usually responds very quickly when I send him an email to inquire or gripe about something, and I am sure he will forward this recently circulated e-mail to me if I were to write to ask (which I am not going to do), but is it not very clear that their mailing list does not even include all backers? And isn't that a cause for concern?

It seems clear that, as compared to the communication practices of other similar--and much less expensive--kickstarter projects (Such as the Yarra, and Audeze Mobius projects) the operation of the Smyths leave a lot to be desired (and that is putting it very mildly, and generously). If there appears to be too much griping or panicking on this site at times, one has to lay the blame squarely at the feet of the Smyths. There is a lot they can do (at very little expense, or costs to themselves) in the area of timely communications to assuage the anxieties of their buyers when unavoidable delays occur, but they are doing little to nothing about that, and that is just too bad.

I have vowed never to become a habitual whiner on head-fi, especially, about things I cannot change, but your own complaint, that "some members are complaining out of nothing" has prompted me to make an exception this time, because it sounded like a textbook example of "blaming the victim." I think the Smyths themselves deserve some of the blame, and that ought to be acknowledged.
i am a backer since March/2017 and i received update email since they past the dead line at :

21/8/2017
22/9/2017
14/11/2017
29/1/2018
28/2/2018
3/4/2018
17/5/2018
and today the last link for there social media ..

so i think you have a problem ,, so try to solve it with smyth mailing system ..

i am subscribed to this thread to get informative posts and its just annoying to hear complaining every few days , my email got full of useless notifications ..

and to be clear all of us are in the same ship we all got delayed not only you or some other members ..

Jun 29, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #2,982 of 15,986
And what if you do not even receive the e-mail? I am a backer, but I never received even this e-mail. Indeed, since becoming a backer in September of 2017, and completing all related payments, and customer surveys in October 2017, I have received only one update via e-mail, the one which came out in November 2017, about "hardware," "firmware," and "exchange website."
I don't disagree with you but I want to try to shed some light on the missing e-mails:
Strictly speaking you are a backer if you participated in the kickstarter. But you did a presales order after the kickstarter funding campaign ended. (Me to, and at first I was not really aware of this for myself, because I never participated in kickstarter and when I ordered I started pushing buttons from the kickstarter page on my way to the pre-order page.)
At first I also did not get the update e-mails, and I mailed James about it and he put me on some mailing list I guess and for a time I got the update e-mails. And sometimes not directly, but a little later. I did get the two e-mails about social media today.
Now I understand the kickstarter backers receive the update e-mails via some kickstarter notification system, and the pre-sales orderers are - or sometimes not, as maybe in your case - on a seperate mailing list. And it seems sometimes Smyth forgets to send the update e-mail to this seperate group, and sometimes they do it a little later.
Okay guys, I'm sold on the unit. I just pulled the trigger (paid the "pre-sale deposit", and it is all your fault
I feel a bit guilty now, I hope you don't have any regrets.
[Edit: but I keep saying: the device is wonderful, and so was my demo of it.]

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #2,983 of 15,986
But I believe this is what you were looking for: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...real-3d-audio-headphone-processor/description

This wasn't "unclear" in the slightest, although it was naive, or overly hubristic.

I'm content in calling it 'comprehensive' and leaving it at that. The original question I consider it answers was "Do anyone have a better suggestion of where to send newbies to learn about the A16?". It accomplishes that goal.

Then, why not Smyth's own website? I like their page on it too. Not some derivative reseller's version of it.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #2,985 of 15,986
It must only be software developers and engineers that know "the last 10% takes 90% of the time". HOW. TRUE.
LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back