1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Smyth Research Realiser A16

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jgazal, May 7, 2016.
First

Back
178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187
189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198
Next

Last
  1. AxelCloris Administrator
    We've cleaned up some posts that went against the Posting Guidelines. Let's please keep the discussion in check. Thanks, everyone.

LajostheHun, VandyMan and mikemav like this.
  2. Alcophone
    Sadly, that's a moving target, and Smyth seems too small to always catch up. I still have a 1080p TV, and will at least wait for HDMI 2.1 support before upgrading (I look forward to not needing a display refresh rate that is a clean multiple of the material's frame rate just to get smooth playback).

3. musicday
    From Headphone.Guru CanJam Socal 2018 :

,,My last stop of the show was Smyth Research to see the prototype Smyth Realizer, and was I glad I waited to last for it. They are taking 3D Audio to its ultimate by calibrating the system to your actual hearing. I found the process to be painful and it left my head ringing for hours, but there is no question that the system works, there was no audible difference between the headphones and the loudspeakers''.

This is the first time ever I hear someone saying that inserting the microphones in your ears for calibration was painful.

4. Sordel
    From what you quote it may be that it was the sweeps that were uncomfortably loud, not the microphones themselves.

5. sander99
    Maybe they tried louder sweeps this time because of the microphone problems they encountered.

6. HairyHook
    Hola amigos. My wife and I had chance to try the CanJam 2018 SoCal demo and we were super impressed. I picked Game of Thrones and I the experience was superb. I had chance to talk with Mr. Stephen Smyth while waiting for my wife to finish her demo and he was talking about an August/September release. Things might have changed, so take this with a grain of salt. He also mentioned a final price around $3,500 so I'm not surprised they announced $4K. The first thing my wife said after the demo was "we are buying this". It is that good. I'm happy I pre-ordered before the price announcement.

Once we are closer to release date I'll be in the hunt for a second pair of headphones. I currently have the Fidelio X2 and I was planning to get another pair once they go on sale. What are your recommendations? I want something that is good for gaming too.

7. sander99
    You live in Spain? You were a long way from home then... Lucky coincedance I guess, specially with the price. Congratulations!

8. krismusic Contributor
    When I demoed the Realiser in London I was told that Sennheiser 800's were optimum. Mainly due to comfort. I was further told that the sound signature of the headphone would not matter as that would be corrected by the Realiser. That any high quality headphone could be used. The individual headphone characteristics would make no difference.

9. jgazal
    Or maybe they tried louder sweeps this time because the noise floor was too loud with people talking and sound leaking from other rooms.

10. HairyHook
    I'm Spanish, but currently living in SoCal. Wanted to represent home when selecting location :)

11. bearcatsandor
    Does that mean that my plans to buy a par of Focal Utopias would be a waste of money (as far as sound goes) were i to use them with a Realiser, and that my Sony MDR-7506 would give the same level of performance?

12. Richter Di
    I think this is a good question. I am not selling of my headphones at the moment as I want to try them out all with the A16 before I make a mistake.

13. musicday
    The lightest and most comfortable headphone must be this Audio-Technica.
    https://eu.audio-technica.com/ATH-ADX5000
    Only 270 gr without cable. So if let's say all headphones sound more or less the same with the Realiser then we shall pick the most comfortable and lightest right?

14. Dr. Strangelove
    Not every headphone is the same with the Realizer... especially when it comes to bass performance.

Given that the Realizer will EQ your headphones to what the microphones perceive to be a linear response, you want a headphone that produces as close to a linear response as possible, with as little distortion as possible; any increase in a given portion of the frequency response by the EQ will likely raise distortion as well. For example, you don't want to use a headphone that has poor bass response (frequency or distortion wise), because, even with EQ, that deficiency will come through (as will other areas with high levels of distortion).

The ideal in my mind would be a high end dynamic or planar magnetic headphone that has a neutral character, has low distortion across the board, can reach sub-bass without needing heavy EQ, and isn't too heavy. That being said, ridiculously expensive models offering minor tonal changes from lesser priced versions would be money misspent. In addition to this, a sub-pac chair model would greatly assist the immersion by providing the visceral impact of the low-end.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  15. raband
    Yep ^^

The A16 isn't going to be able to magically add soundstage, resolution, imaging, bass, mids, balance etc to a heapdhone that it hasn't psysically got.

First

Back
178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187
189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198
Next

Last