Smyth Research Realiser A16 - Issues, Questions, Feature Requests, Tips and Tricks

Most important missing features (you have three votes)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 5, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #62 of 74
I think I just increased the quality of my videos a bit just by turning the large TV behind me on lol

It is time for Smyth Research A16 to receive a viddy, one that will surely make everyone understand a bit better what it does, and what's up with it ~

This is more of an introductory video, as it is a niche product, and I always thought it needs more of an introduction and explanation about its functions and such. Basically, if you want to learn more about head tracking, home theather, headphones and 3D sonic presentations, this video should be perfect for you :)

Aug 11, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #63 of 74
Has anyone compared the Susvara with the Sennheiser on the A16?

Im not fan of dynamic headphones.

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #64 of 74
How is Smyth Realiser for gaming? VS playing with regular Dolby Atmos? Would it add a 3D effect to games that do just stereo?

Aug 14, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #65 of 74
Has anyone compared the Susvara with the Sennheiser on the A16?

Im not fan of dynamic headphones.

I have not done that specific comparison, but I have tried several different planar and electrostatic headphones with the A16. All worked very well. A few were particularly good, but I could have been happy with any of them. So, you do not need to stick with dynamic headphones if you don't like them.

Aug 14, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #66 of 74
How is Smyth Realiser for gaming? VS playing with regular Dolby Atmos? Would it add a 3D effect to games that do just stereo?
Yes. Good question. Does the game needs to support specific codecs or something. Hope to read answers.

I have not done that specific comparison, but I have tried several different planar and electrostatic headphones with the A16. All worked very well. A few were particularly good, but I could have been happy with any of them. So, you do not need to stick with dynamic headphones if you don't like them.
How about games. Needs specific feature to work the wonders?

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #67 of 74
How is Smyth Realiser for gaming?
Haven't tested that since my Realiser got lost. However, it needs to support Dolby Atmos MAT. On top of that, the low latency mode would be nice.
VS playing with regular Dolby Atmos?
The Realiser does regular, proper, certified Dolby Atmos.
Would it add a 3D effect to games that do just stereo?
You can use an upmixer, e.g. DSU or Auromatic (the latter requires an extra license or two). How well those work with games, and whether the added latency would be noticeable, I cannot tell.

Aug 15, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #69 of 74
I use it all the time with my PC, Xbox Series X, and PS5. Most games are encoded in either 5.1, 7.1, or Atmos nowadays so you usually get proper surround. It does work to upmix stereo to Auro3D which sounds pretty good. The only thing of note is that when using Atmos from a Windows PC or Xbox there is some audio delay. I don’t think it’s a huge deal for most games, but if you were playing competitively it would be a problem. If you use Atmos on those two devices you just have to live with it, or you can use 5.1 or 7.1 which does not have any noticeable delay.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #70 of 74
I use it all the time with my PC, Xbox Series X, and PS5. Most games are encoded in either 5.1, 7.1, or Atmos nowadays so you usually get proper surround. It does work to upmix stereo to Auro3D which sounds pretty good. The only thing of note is that when using Atmos from a Windows PC or Xbox there is some audio delay. I don’t think it’s a huge deal for most games, but if you were playing competitively it would be a problem. If you use Atmos on those two devices you just have to live with it, or you can use 5.1 or 7.1 which does not have any noticeable delay.
Oh cool, thank you for sharing! if you were to compare Realiser + Atmos (via Dolby app) VS just Dolby Atmos App, what's the difference like?
Is it 10% better or 30% etc better, or how would you describe it?

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #71 of 74
I happened to notice the poll at the start of this thread. I voted in it years ago, of course. It is interesting to note that we now have a few of the top voted (formerly) missing features. I wonder if we will ever see any of the others? I won't hold my breath. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #72 of 74
Looking back at that poll, I think that someone more realistic should've added the availability of a few distributors spread all over the world who could also provide some checks/repairs without the need to send Realiser A16 units with issues back to the UK.

Of course, theoretically, one can send a parcel from one end of the world to another. However, when matters related to customs, couriers and other regulations are involved, that attempt might turn into hell, as was the case for some owners of Realiser A16 units.

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #73 of 74
Looking back at that poll, I think that someone more realistic should've added the availability of a few distributors spread all over the world who could also provide some checks/repairs without the need to send Realiser A16 units with issues back to the UK.

Of course, theoretically, one can send a parcel from one end of the world to another. However, when matters related to customs, couriers and other regulations are involved, that attempt might turn into hell, as was the case for some owners of Realiser A16 units.

When I sent my Auralic Vega DAC back for a hardware upgrade (this is quite a few years ago), they had me send it to their distributor in NJ and then the distributor sent it to China. That meant that I did not have to deal with any customs paperwork. The unit was then sent back to me directly from China. Smyth could easily find someone in the US to do that, if they gave a s***.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #74 of 74
When I sent my Auralic Vega DAC back for a hardware upgrade (this is quite a few years ago), they had me send it to their distributor in NJ and then the distributor sent it to China. That meant that I did not have to deal with any customs paperwork. The unit was then sent back to me directly from China. Smyth could easily find someone in the US to do that, if they gave a s***.
Also looking back, the kickstarters and then pre-orders campaigns are now like a much too large hat for Smyth Research’s head. From what you write, it follows that at Auralic, customer orientation is a real business approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back