SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
May 29, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #1,141 of 1,170
Correct, not balanced output. Simply there for convenience. Truth is, times have changed with amps since the old days. There was a time when XLR was w bigger deal. But these modern amps do fine without balanced output now. There's no need to overthink it, just enjoy it.
Thanks! I don't have a frame of reference quality-wise to frame it against so I will just blaze forth as-is.

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #1,143 of 1,170
If you can find them!

When I originally installed mine, I had ordered 12, since I have 6 of these amps for my studio.
Luckily I got 2, but the other ten are STILL on back-order, and now they are saying "probably 2023."

If anyone finds a source for these, and actually in stock, please let us know.

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #1,144 of 1,170
Aug 13, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #1,147 of 1,170
This weekend we (me and my dad) will change the caps on the XLR inputs, also will add coupling WIMA caps. The main problem IMO with the RCA vs XLR are the used caps - RCA is using Nichicon Bi-polar ES Muse, while the XLR is using some cheap,not even audio grade caps. We will change those caps for Nichicon KZ with WIMA coupling caps. :L3000:

Hey Joe,

Do you have the exact part number for those WIMA's? (and why are there 2 different shapes, with the same uF rating? )

I can't seem to find any 0.1 poly which are that thin, not even WIMAs.
-------------

Also, since I'll be going back into my amps now, I'm considering also adding ~ 15 uf / 25v film caps to the power supply, To improve mf transients.
Also (2) .1 uF COG, to possibly reduce ripple. (I don't have a scope, so this would just be a shot in the dark.)

Could you ask your Dad if he thinks this is worth trying? (Assuming they will even fit)

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #1,148 of 1,170
Does anyone have any recommendations for new RCA caps? I use those inputs quite often. maybe @Cableaddict knows

PM sent, but as I wrote there:

I used Elna RFS-25V220MF3#5
OR maybe up them to 47 uF: RFS-25V470MG3#5

But again, I heard no difference in the RCA inputs after the change. (To my surprise.) And I was quickly A-B ing my modded amp to a stock amp, with levels perfectly matched via studio test gear, and two identical sounding headphones YMMV, especially with different headphones, so maybe it's worth a try.

IMO the big change comes from modding the power supply section.

Aug 13, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #1,149 of 1,170

But again, I heard no difference in the RCA inputs after the change. (To my surprise.) And I was quickly A-B ing my modded amp to a stock amp, with levels perfectly matched via studio test gear, and two identical sounding headphones YMMV, especially with different headphones, so maybe it's worth a try.

So the same caps (6 of them) would be used for the 4 XLR and the 2 RCAs. Is that what I'm getting?

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #1,151 of 1,170

I thought you upgraded the caps for the XLR inputs, not the RCA? The green caps are for the RCA input, correct? (and you left those alone) The other 4 caps you replaced in your picture are for the XLR, correct? And you heard no differences between the stock and upgraded XLR caps. Or am I very confused?

So it sounds like (based on your below post quoted) that the XLR cap upgrade may have actually HURT the XLR sound quality since they now seem closer in sound (after the upgrade) quality to the stock RCA [where before, they had slight differences].

HOWEVER, surprisingly, the XLR inputs seem to have slightly better stereo separation. I THINK. lol...
I tested this several times over several days, on all sx units, sometimes using different audio sources, and a few times I did not hear it. Very, very strange. I just checked one of my non-modded SP200's before posting this, and I definitely hear the difference today, enough that I'd never consider using the RCA's. - But I wouldn't bet money that this will be the case for everyone.

Another noticeable change is that the difference between the RCA and XLR inputs is now extremely minor. I probably wouldn't even notice if I weren't listening for it, though there still IS a barely perceptible difference. This really puzzles me, since if anything the XLR inputs should sound even better than before.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #1,155 of 1,170
Hey Joe,

Do you have the exact part number for those WIMA's? (and why are there 2 different shapes, with the same uF rating? )

I can't seem to find any 0.1 poly which are that thin, not even WIMAs.
-------------

Also, since I'll be going back into my amps now, I'm considering also adding ~ 15 uf / 25v film caps to the power supply, To improve mf transients.
Also (2) .1 uF COG, to possibly reduce ripple. (I don't have a scope, so this would just be a shot in the dark.)

Could you ask your Dad if he thinks this is worth trying? (Assuming they will even fit)

## JOE -

If you see this post, please get me this info.
I did finally find some thin WIMA 0.1's @ 63v, though they are slightly wider than what you show. They should work.
Still, isn't 25v enough?

And what about the other stuff?

thanks !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back