SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Aug 3, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #811 of 1,170
The sp200 is as good as any amp that I've heard at any price.
I think I want to buy another one! Damit...this little beast is sexy aF!

Gonna give it even more time to settle in and get a really good gauge on this little amp! But My first week with it has been splendid!

But seriously...I want another for my Prime II because the Progeny is getting all the time right now!

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #812 of 1,170
I think I want to buy another one! Damit...this little beast is sexy aF!

Gonna give it even more time to settle in and get a really good gauge on this little amp! But My first week with it has been splendid!

But seriously...I want another for my Prime II because the Progeny is getting all the time right now!
I had two and I regret selling the second one. I might buy another used.

Aug 3, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #816 of 1,170
This is all you need...

S.M.S.L SP200 AMP
IMG_1622.JPG

S.M.S.L M200 DAC
IMG_2016.JPG

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #818 of 1,170
Dont get me wrong, my 2 bryston bha1s are incredible. I just got the new one friday after waiting 5 weeks for them to build it.15964812370344154924735382857779.jpg

OMG, I just spotted Star wars, in a box FAR FAR AWAY! .........................

Kiss a wookie, kick a droid
Fly the falcon through an asteroid
Till the princess is annoyed
This is spaceships, it's monsters, it's Star Wars, we love it!

Get in there you big, furry oaf
I couldn't care less what you smell
I take orders from only me
Maybe you'd like it back in your cell
Your Highness, your worshipfulness, your highness, your worshipfulness

I posted this cause I thought it would make you laugh. :jecklinsmile:

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #819 of 1,170
OMG, I just spotted Star wars, in a box FAR FAR AWAY! .........................

Kiss a wookie, kick a droid
Fly the falcon through an asteroid
Till the princess is annoyed
This is spaceships, it's monsters, it's Star Wars, we love it!

Get in there you big, furry oaf
I couldn't care less what you smell
I take orders from only me
Maybe you'd like it back in your cell
Your Highness, your worshipfulness, your highness, your worshipfulness

I posted this cause I thought it would make you laugh. :jecklinsmile:
Lol good stuff.

Aug 3, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #820 of 1,170
Ok, I'll let on a little bit...

My current amps:

Schiit Asgard 2
Schiit Jotunheim
Schiit Vali 2
Schiit Mjolnir V1
Burson Soloist SL
Darkvoice
Graham Slee Novo

The SP200 is a beast! A transparent beast! Yet....smooth and highly resolving...without strain! Dead-Dead quiet, blackest background - as black as my Jot!

It is not a slow sounding amp but lightning quick, agile and walks a fine line between harsh and smooth, right in the centre! - This will come down to your other gear in the audio chain. I'm using a Theta DS Pro Progeny so it is more analogue sounding and fuller compared to my Bifrost DS. I tell ya though...the SP200 is able to dig deep in to what this old vintage DAC can produce and give you it whole, clear and transparent! My Edition X and AR-H1's just sounds right with this combo!

Imaging is top notch with SP200, the centre imaging is large and connects perfectly with L & R, tracks that pan L & R is eye catching, solid and coherent! Making the sound stage top tier amongst my other amps! Listening to Tool - Fear Innoculum and you get excellent instrument separation!

The top end is clear and extends precisely better than...say...my Jotunheim...heck even on par with my old Mjolnir! It's effortless and will really test your gear, I think my Edition X was ready to tap out with certain tracks but I was listening quiet loudly! :D

Anyways...I'm starting to waffle on! I'll say this, Listening to this amp for a solid week was a joy! It really was...I didn't know what to expect other than some good info from this thread but I actually looking to buy another and retire some of my older gear!

My biggest prop's...the SP200 is able to 'get out of the way' and just let you hear the rest of your gear and most importantly the MUSIC!

P.s.s - The size of this amp is stupid-good...if I was to buy another (which I will!) I could place two of them, side-by-side, on top of my Theta Progeny/Prime II stack and save even more space! :D

Aug 3, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #821 of 1,170
Ok, I'll let on a little bit...

My current amps:

Schiit Asgard 2
Schiit Jotunheim
Schiit Vali 2
Schiit Mjolnir V1
Burson Soloist SL
Darkvoice
Graham Slee Novo

The SP200 is a beast! A transparent beast! Yet....smooth and highly resolving...without strain! Dead-Dead quiet, blackest background - as black as my Jot!

It is not a slow sounding amp but lightning quick, agile and walks a fine line between harsh and smooth, right in the centre! - This will come down to your other gear in the audio chain. I'm using a Theta DS Pro Progeny so it is more analogue sounding and fuller compared to my Bifrost DS. I tell ya though...the SP200 is able to dig deep in to what this old vintage DAC can produce and give you it whole, clear and transparent! My Edition X and AR-H1's just sounds right with this combo!

Imaging is top notch with SP200, the centre imaging is large and connects perfectly with L & R, tracks that pan L & R is eye catching, solid and coherent! Making the sound stage top tier amongst my other amps! Listening to Tool - Fear Innoculum and you get excellent instrument separation!

The top end is clear and extends precisely better than...say...my Jotunheim...heck even on par with my old Mjolnir! It's effortless and will really test your gear, I think my Edition X was ready to tap out with certain tracks but I was listening quiet loudly! :D

Anyways...I'm starting to waffle on! I'll say this, Listening to this amp for a solid week was a joy! It really was...I didn't know what to expect other than some good info from this thread but I actually looking to buy another and retire some of my older gear!

My biggest prop's...the SP200 is able to 'get out of the way' and just let you hear the rest of your gear and most importantly the MUSIC!

P.s.s - The size of this amp is stupid-good...if I was to buy another (which I will!) I could place two of them, side-by-side, on top of my Theta Progeny/Prime II stack and save even more space! :D
I agree 100%

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #822 of 1,170
I don't really want to "ruin" the excitement, but from my experience with SP200, pair with zmf verite and abyss diana v2, while it's sound sublime at the price, but still can not match the internal amplifier of questyle cma 600i in term of resolution, soundstage, and imaging. (FYI, I would put internal amplifier of CMA600i below wells audio milo vishay or violectric v281 or headamp gsx mk2)

Sure, SP200 sound clean, has great micro detail, no peaky frequency that I can speak about, however, it's still not a giant killer or able to replace thousands dollar amps by any means.

Still, a top notch amplifier for the price, and I can't really recommend other amps in this price range. Really great job from SMS indeed.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #823 of 1,170
I don't really want to "ruin" the excitement, but from my experience with SP200, pair with zmf verite and abyss diana v2, while it's sound sublime at the price, but still can not match the internal amplifier of questyle cma 600i in term of resolution, soundstage, and imaging. (FYI, I would put internal amplifier of CMA600i below wells audio milo vishay or violectric v281 or headamp gsx mk2)

Sure, SP200 sound clean, has great micro detail, no peaky frequency that I can speak about, however, it's still not a giant killer or able to replace thousands dollar amps by any means.

Still, a top notch amplifier for the price, and I can't really recommend other amps in this price range. Really great job from SMS indeed.
Pssssst don't kill the bang for your buck cheap giantkiller out of china illusion

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #824 of 1,170
Thats right, when it comes to an amp that really whips that lama's ash, at the 300 dollar price range, (or bellow if its on sale) The SP200 mops the decks with anything that is cheaper.

And if your coming from a simplistic cheapo Fiio D3 DAC, you will be amazed how much better things sound, once you upgrade to a M200 DAC! I also believe for 300 dollars, (unless its on sale too for cheaper) you can't really go wrong.

Sure as far as amps are concerned, your gonna find some better ones in the thousands range. But here's the thing, not every audiophile has thousands of dollars to dump into an amp purchase.

Heck, I've already spent more on the SP200 and M200 combined, over that of the amount I spent on my headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back