SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Jul 27, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #796 of 1,170
Ok I got my custom XLR cables today to connect from my DX7 Pro to SP200, and the noise during gaming is gone. So I'm thinking about getting the A90 and return this SP200, cause i heard the A90 sounds better and has Balanced output.

I'm sorry to hear that your regretting your SP200 acquisition. What is the price difference between the Topping A90 and the S.M.S.L SP200? Cause I think the A90 is supposed to be more expensive, like 500 dollars I think? Thats a steeper price to pay for an amp. Also, if people say that it sounds better, well, sure its a 500 dollar amp, I guess it would. However, how much better does it really sound though? Is it worth the price justification to acquire it?

Cause I've also watched a video review, where a guy was reviewing the SP200, and he said that the only amps that were worth spending more on, that actually sounded far better then the SP200, were like amps that costs 2000 dollars! Just trying to help you save money dude.

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #797 of 1,170
I'm sorry to hear that your regretting your SP200 acquisition. What is the price difference between the Topping A90 and the S.M.S.L SP200? Cause I think the A90 is supposed to be more expensive, like 500 dollars I think? Thats a steeper price to pay for an amp. Also, if people say that it sounds better, well, sure its a 500 dollar amp, I guess it would. However, how much better does it really sound though? Is it worth the price justification to acquire it?

Cause I've also watched a video review, where a guy was reviewing the SP200, and he said that the only amps that were worth spending more on, that actually sounded far better then the SP200, were like amps that costs 2000 dollars! Just trying to help you save money dude.

Yea the A90 is $500, that's $200 more than the SP200. I dont know what's wrong with my SP200 but right now I'm using XLR balaned out from my DX7 Pro to the SP200, and I think there'se a light imbalance between the Left and Right Channel. The left channel is a bit weaker sounding compare to the right. Do you think it's the XLR cable? or the SP200 amp

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #798 of 1,170
Yea the A90 is $500, that's $200 more than the SP200. I dont know what's wrong with my SP200 but right now I'm using XLR balaned out from my DX7 Pro to the SP200, and I think there'se a light imbalance between the Left and Right Channel. The left channel is a bit weaker sounding compare to the right. Do you think it's the XLR cable? or the SP200 amp

Well, XLR cables are designed to make perfect connections between two devices. If you can move the XLR cable around, and find that there are no shorts in the cable, then there is nothing in the cable that can cause an imbalance, short of a short. Ohhhhh got ya with a punn :stuck_out_tongue: So, ya, its probably your SP200. There were a few cases on record where a few people got defective units, but that was last year. I thought all stock this year were new stock, with fixed SP200's. Mine doesn't have any issues for example.

Did you buy yours on Amazon? If so, they have an excellent return service within the 30-day period. If its beyond that, you will have to contact S.M.S.L for return under defect.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #799 of 1,170
Well, XLR cables are designed to make perfect connections between two devices. If you can move the XLR cable around, and find that there are no shorts in the cable, then there is nothing in the cable that can cause an imbalance, short of a short. Ohhhhh got ya with a punn :stuck_out_tongue: So, ya, its probably your SP200. There were a few cases on record where a few people got defective units, but that was last year. I thought all stock this year were new stock, with fixed SP200's. Mine doesn't have any issues for example.

Did you buy yours on Amazon? If so, they have an excellent return service within the 30-day period. If its beyond that, you will have to contact S.M.S.L for return under defect.

Well the reason I know it was the XLR cable is because I used a different XLR cable to test it out. And I did not have that issue. So it was the XLR cable that I bought from HeartAudioCable, it came as a pair , just 1 of them is defective.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #800 of 1,170
Well the reason I know it was the XLR cable is because I used a different XLR cable to test it out. And I did not have that issue. So it was the XLR cable that I bought from HeartAudioCable, it came as a pair , just 1 of them is defective.

Well thats really good to know! Glad its not the amp, as that is an expensive piece of tech, and I don't want people to get depressed from defective amps. We live in some pretty harsh times these days, and we need our amps to help us escape. Its easy to replace a cable, hopefully you can get them to send you a new free cable to replace the 1 that is defective. I was trying my best to help you diagnose the issue, but its hard to do that remotely over the net. But at least you have a good outcome now. Please enjoy your new amp,

Jul 28, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #801 of 1,170
Well thats really good to know! Glad its not the amp, as that is an expensive piece of tech, and I don't want people to get depressed from defective amps. We live in some pretty harsh times these days, and we need our amps to help us escape. Its easy to replace a cable, hopefully you can get them to send you a new free cable to replace the 1 that is defective. I was trying my best to help you diagnose the issue, but its hard to do that remotely over the net. But at least you have a good outcome now. Please enjoy your new amp,

Yea I sent the guy over at HeartAudioCable a message, haven't got a reply back yet. But I also ordered some 16awg XLR cables from Monoprice, maybe those are better. Should be here in couple days. I live like 1h 1/2 from Monoprice.

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #802 of 1,170
Yea I sent the guy over at HeartAudioCable a message, haven't got a reply back yet. But I also ordered some 16awg XLR cables from Monoprice, maybe those are better. Should be here in couple days. I live like 1h 1/2 from Monoprice.

Dude, I freaking love Monoprice cables! They are always quality, but with a cheaper price tag. 16-gauge XLR cables are top notch in their thickness, it means that they won't be the limiting factor on power distribution. I have their 22-gauge RCA cables, top notch quality IMO.
IMG_1600.JPG

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #803 of 1,170
Dude, I freaking love Monoprice cables! They are always quality, but with a cheaper price tag. 16-gauge XLR cables are top notch in their thickness, it means that they won't be the limiting factor on power distribution. I have their 22-gauge RCA cables, top notch quality IMO.
IMG_1600.JPG

That's a nice looking cable, i just wished Monoprice has a custom sleeved service for their cables.

Jul 30, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #805 of 1,170
Very nice Volly, you got my approval! Let us know how she does with your setup. But I am going to predict, that your going to come back to us, and tell us that the SP200 really whips that lama's ash. HEHE

So, for those who are not aware yet, I purchased this DAC, its supposed to arrive tomorrow! As you know, these are made to stack with the SP200.
Screenshot_2020-07-29_13-33-34.jpg

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #810 of 1,170
You know what is not subjective? Is how much I love my new S.M.S.L M200 DAC! It came in the mail today, and I freaking love it! For those who are interested, you can checkout my general review for it.
S.M.S.L M200 DAC Review With Pictures!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back