SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Dec 4, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #211 of 1,170
Comparing SP200 to iPhone 6S, Topping DX7 Pro and SMSL SU-8

I am not downloading the files, but it would be interesting to see how many people get it right. I have had doubts about my system in the past. But then my DAP runs out of juice and I will plug in the charging cable. Then I have to do just DAP to headphone and the sound is lesser. Although I wonder how I would do in blind testing when the comparisons are: my DAP (ZX300) balanced out and with the EQ tweaked compared to DAP to DAC to Amp and maybe even a Loki in a chain. It would be complicated. I would have to be blind folded and the set-ups would have to be volume matched. Could you imagine doing this and getting 8 out of 10 wrong consistantly? A) It would be SO embarassing and B) you would realize that all those pieces you bought are just jewelry and you might as well sell all your amps and DAC's and start collecting figurines.:ksc75smile:

Going further afield, I wonder if anybody could tell the difference in a blind, volume matched test between the 789, 887, 888 and the Atom?

Shane D

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #212 of 1,170
Are most of u guys using the XLR or RCA INPUTS on the back ?

XLR inputs.

I just received mine yesterday. I am replacing a Nuforce HA-200, which has developed a buzzing sound that is louder at the extreme ends of the volume range but audible all the time, whether connected to the DAC or not. Still sounds that same when playing music, though the buzz can be heard during quiet passages. I use a Teac UD-301 DAC. SP200 definitely sounds clearer and is more dynamic than the HA-200, though I have not compared the two properly. Dead silent even at full volume on low gain- didn't try high gain yet. One thing about the SP200- POWER! Can't go past 8:30 on volume pot with my Focal Elear using 3.5mm jack and XLR interconnects. I suppose I can switch from "fixed" to "variable" output on the UD-301 if I want to use more volume from the SP200 (and reduce the output from the dac). I have never used IEM's on a desktop amp before but I imagine using the variable out from the dac would allow me to use an IEM with the SP200, though none of my IEM require much amplification.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #213 of 1,170
My SP200 just arrived and I like it except for the wonky volume knob. Does anyone know how to replace it? Can't seam to get it off.

It's indeed a bad quality pot. I wish they had had spent $5 on a better volume pot instead of that stupid tilted enclosure.

Other than that I have no complaints. I have no hard to drive headphones on hand but hd800 does get really loud at 10 o clock. Impressive.
IMG_20191205_205504.jpg

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #214 of 1,170
XLR inputs.

I just received mine yesterday. I am replacing a Nuforce HA-200, which has developed a buzzing sound that is louder at the extreme ends of the volume range but audible all the time, whether connected to the DAC or not. Still sounds that same when playing music, though the buzz can be heard during quiet passages. I use a Teac UD-301 DAC. SP200 definitely sounds clearer and is more dynamic than the HA-200, though I have not compared the two properly. Dead silent even at full volume on low gain- didn't try high gain yet. One thing about the SP200- POWER! Can't go past 8:30 on volume pot with my Focal Elear using 3.5mm jack and XLR interconnects. I suppose I can switch from "fixed" to "variable" output on the UD-301 if I want to use more volume from the SP200 (and reduce the output from the dac). I have never used IEM's on a desktop amp before but I imagine using the variable out from the dac would allow me to use an IEM with the SP200, though none of my IEM require much amplification.
XLR inputs.

I had been using Schiit Jotunheim w multi bit as my desktop DAC/amp , and am currently using it as my DAC to the SP200 . I can’t go pass 9 on the volume wheel for most headphones . Aeon flow’s are able to Reach 11-12 depending on the song as well as Tin P1 . Which is surprising .

Dec 7, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #215 of 1,170
Realised that my SP200's potentiometer doesn't change volume from 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock, so wondering whether to return it. Otherwise, the amp works fine with no detectable channel imbalance and sounds great.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #218 of 1,170
I am using this amp today with my uber cheapies, the Fidelio X2HR's.

Sounds surprisingly good!

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back