SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Nov 2, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 1,170
Mine arrived today. Packaging was exceptional at this price. It took one day to go from mainland china to my front door DHL EXPRESS, free. Now I have to wait for Monday to come around to get it wired up to the DENAFRIPS Ares II.

Went with the SP200 since it measured so well, was available and does not require a wall wart. I was impressed that their power supply was internal (no wall wart), then looking at the pcb layout I was similarly impressed. Very good build quality from the exterior to the interior.

Chose this amp because of the above and I wanted a neutral amp so i could hear what th Ares I I sounds like with minimal coloration. Guessing I would never switch from tube to solid state, though I do enjoy a well made solid state amp from time to time. Might even keep it around, who knows.

I'll post some thoughts on this next week. Pretty excited, ive been away from head-fi for about 10 years and there is much to consider.

Side note, the un-boxlike shape of the amp drives me kind of insane. Found a way to trick my eyes by placing it directly under my monitor.

I'll write a bit more when all the various components have arrived, everything's broken in, and I've had some time to reflect on the sound.

Nov 4, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 1,170
Very eager to hear back!
I used to have 789. Personally I think the sound of SP200 is as good as 789's, if not better.
They have the same level of transparency. Nevertheless, I'd say, subjectively, the treble of SP200 sounds a bit more natural.
SP200 is much smaller than 789, which I like very much.
I have two cons for SP200. First, if you don't connect the RCA cables firmly, SP200 produce huge noise, which doesn't happen on 789. So take care when you plug or unplug the cables. Second, I don't like the feeling of the volume knob. It feels cheap comparing with 789.
Overall, I think SP200 is a great deal at this price.

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 1,170
I used to have 789. Personally I think the sound of SP200 is as good as 789's, if not better.
They have the same level of transparency. Nevertheless, I'd say, subjectively, the treble of SP200 sounds a bit more natural.
I have two cons for SP200. First, if you don't connect the RCA cables firmly, SP200 produce huge noise, which doesn't happen on 789. So take care when you plug or unplug the cables. Second, I don't like the feeling of the volume knob. It feels cheap comparing with 789.

Is there any hiss when used with sensitive IEMs or headphones?

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 1,170
Mine arrived today. Packaging was exceptional at this price. It took one day to go from mainland china to my front door DHL EXPRESS, free. Now I have to wait for Monday to come around to get it wired up to the DENAFRIPS Ares II.

Went with the SP200 since it measured so well, was available and does not require a wall wart. I was impressed that their power supply was internal (no wall wart), then looking at the pcb layout I was similarly impressed. Very good build quality from the exterior to the interior.

Chose this amp because of the above and I wanted a neutral amp so i could hear what th Ares I I sounds like with minimal coloration. Guessing I would never switch from tube to solid state, though I do enjoy a well made solid state amp from time to time. Might even keep it around, who knows.

I'll post some thoughts on this next week. Pretty excited, ive been away from head-fi for about 10 years and there is much to consider.

Side note, the un-boxlike shape of the amp drives me kind of insane. Found a way to trick my eyes by placing it directly under my monitor.

I'll write a bit more when all the various components have arrived, everything's broken in, and I've had some time to reflect on the sound.

Alguma novidade?

Nov 8, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 1,170

I replaced the volume knob with a knurled aluminum machined knob. Much better quality! You can find them online. Way better quality and feel. I think it was 20mm in size but I will need to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back