SMSL M9 - Discussion and Support Thread
Jan 20, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #16 of 29
First sound impressions:
Very detailed and resolving, slightly bright out of the box but pleasant, not harsh or aggressive. Some mid-bass bloom, mids forward and slightly euphonic, treble crisp but not dominating or fatiguing. Soundstage is wide and medium deep, very good imaging and instrument separation.
There are many settings to play with. The output can be switched between HP output, volume control pre-amp or fixed line out. The ASRC setting is allowing 2x or 4x upsampling to move the filter ringing and aliasing further from the audio band. It makes the sound smoother but adds some slight distortion, left it finally on off. Long delay sharp filter sounds most neutral.
It is on the first listening nothing spectacular, it is not a dac with a wow effect, but listening through few symphonies in a row, I appreciated how natural and effortless it sounds. You just forget listening to a machine. Compared to the D50 it sounds smoother, with more mid-bass, slightly deeper soundstage and definitely less fatiguing. D50 on the other side sounds cleaner, almost no grain but also more analytical and colder. The M9 comes with a hefty power brick included.
Design is questionable, you can't stack easily the M9 on other devices because it is too bright and you can't stack other gear easily on the top of the M9 because of the protruding lcd screen. It basically takes more space than it should. It gets fairly warm, not hot, but quite warm. I am wondering why they didn't design higher box which could have helped the heat dissipation and also the lcd screen could have been the part of the case, not sticking out like now.
All in all I would call it the ugly duckling. First impression is not overwhelming, but longer you listen, more you realize what a beautiful quality machine this is. Going back to the D50 after listening to the M9 was like going back from full color cinemascope to black and white movie.
For the Massdrop price of $139.99 it is a steal. I am joining the next drop to buy another one.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #17 of 29
It stacks nice with some Schiit. :)

IMG_1972.JPG

After I added the ifi ipower I settled for the up-sampling off and sharp normal filter. That fits my tastes best. Really good dac for $140. Absolutely unbeatable at that price.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #18 of 29
The ASRC setting is allowing 2x or 4x upsampling to move the filter ringing and aliasing further from the audio band.
Thanks a lot for sharing your impressions.
I'm looking forward to that dual mono design as well.

Regarding that bull s crap pictures seen elsewhere about filter ringing.
This is just sales crap, creating just another audio myth.

Type and function of the digital filters.jpg

Why?
That ringing pictured is not any real under real operating conditions.
Real conditions means: proper recordings with proper anti aliasing done at the recording / mastering stage.
In technical terms: no signal content beyond the Nyquist barrier. Zero. Nada.

The pictured ringing effect is solely about overstepping the Nyquist barrier - for example with glitches from broken data input or deliberately throwing (anti aliasing) unfiltered content, for example squares naturally loaded with high harmonics, directly on to the DAC.

On the other hand, some recording engineers seem to like pushing distortion crap onto their products.
So by post-filtering this crap out by a pre-anti aliasing filtering in the DAC chip isn't what can be called HiFi reproduction either.

For me that also explains why changing the filter settings may or may not have any sonic impact. Different phase shift, while technically correct associated with different filter settings, to me seems too far fetched and next to impossible to distinguish by audition. But then, that's only my take so far.

Take your pic. :)

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #19 of 29
Thanks a lot for sharing your impressions.
I'm looking forward to that dual mono design as well.

Regarding that bull s **** pictures seen elsewhere about filter ringing.
This is just sales crap, creating just another audio myth.

Why?
That ringing pictured is not any real under real operating conditions.
Real conditions means: proper recordings with proper anti aliasing done at the recording / mastering stage.
In technical terms: no signal content beyond the Nyquist barrier. Zero. Nada.

The pictured ringing effect is solely about overstepping the Nyquist barrier - for example with glitches from broken data input or deliberately throwing (anti aliasing) unfiltered content, for example squares naturally loaded with high harmonics, directly on to the DAC.

On the other hand, some recording engineers seem to like pushing distortion crap onto their products.
So by post-filtering this crap out by a pre-anti aliasing filtering in the DAC chip isn't what can be called HiFi reproduction either.

For me that also explains why changing the filter settings may or may not have any sonic impact. Different phase shift, while technically correct associated with different filter settings, to me seems too far fetched and next to impossible to distinguish by audition. But then, that's only my take so far.

Take your pic. :)

I also was not really able to get any discernible change in audio from the filter. Any that I might have imagined was probably just that, imagined. The M9 is definitely on the brighter side of all the dacs I own which is not really my taste. But I've found a way to bring the sound signature right into my strike zone for the least amount of money. That is to add a $46 fx audio tube buffer with the GE Jan 5654W tubes. Takes the edge right off the M9 and adds a bit of that tube color that many like. I'm using it between M9 and THX 789 amp. Very happy with the sound and do not even have the urge to eq anymore.

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #20 of 29
I also was not really able to get any discernible change in audio from the filter. Any that I might have imagined was probably just that, imagined. The M9 is definitely on the brighter side of all the dacs I own which is not really my taste. But I've found a way to bring the sound signature right into my strike zone for the least amount of money. That is to add a $46 fx audio tube buffer with the GE Jan 5654W tubes. Takes the edge right off the M9 and adds a bit of that tube color that many like. I'm using it between M9 and THX 789 amp. Very happy with the sound and do not even have the urge to eq anymore.

Which fx audio tube buffer? Tube-01 6J1 or Tube-03 Buffer 6J1?

Feb 8, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #23 of 29
Feb 8, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #24 of 29
Many thanks. Any idea which board revision yours has? You may tell by observing if your PCB has a copper wire wrap (please see this question):

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussi...1-board-revision-is-better-tube-03-vs-tube-01

Thanks

I just got the unit so its probably the newest one. I didn't look inside before installing the tubes. It works great so far though. Only had it on for 6-7 hours and sounds great. Handles distortion in recordings very well. Smooths it out and makes long sessions much more achievable.

I'm now only using my loki eq for adding a small amount of sub bass when I get the urge, and even that seems to be a bit fuller than before. Its taken the edge off the upper midrange and lower treble that bothered me before and also still gives me all the 3d sound stage and detail I want. I don't think its any more detailed in actuality, but I'm able to hear more of the songs now because I'm not getting the distracting glare anymore. If this thing is reliable its going to be one of my best purchases.

Feb 8, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #25 of 29
I just got the unit so its probably the newest one. I didn't look inside before installing the tubes. It works great so far though. Only had it on for 6-7 hours and sounds great. Handles distortion in recordings very well. Smooths it out and makes long sessions much more achievable.

I'm now only using my loki eq for adding a small amount of sub bass when I get the urge, and even that seems to be a bit fuller than before. Its taken the edge off the upper midrange and lower treble that bothered me before and also still gives me all the 3d sound stage and detail I want. I don't think its any more detailed in actuality, but I'm able to hear more of the songs now because I'm not getting the distracting glare anymore. If this thing is reliable its going to be one of my best purchases.

Many thanks!

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #27 of 29
I turned the m9 into a semi portable hehe. Pairs great with the Audioquest nighthawk carbons btw. The brighter character of the m9 livens up the hawks a bit without ruining their character. Very nice sense of space and depth with this pair.
For some reason, although sounding on a first listen a little bit bright, the M9 is far less fatiguing than any other dac I have. I have tried few ES9038 dacs which in direct AB-ing sound softer and mellower, but after a short time make me switch to the M9. It is really an ugly duckling, the more I listen, appreciating it more and more.
I think the brightness is coming from the TPA6120A2 op-amps. The case is too small for rolling the bigger op-amps, but I guess with some Burson V6 or Sparkos it could get a way warmer.

Mar 29, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #28 of 29
For some reason, although sounding on a first listen a little bit bright, the M9 is far less fatiguing than any other dac I have. I have tried few ES9038 dacs which in direct AB-ing sound softer and mellower, but after a short time make me switch to the M9. It is really an ugly duckling, the more I listen, appreciating it more and more.
I think the brightness is coming from the TPA6120A2 op-amps. The case is too small for rolling the bigger op-amps, but I guess with some Burson V6 or Sparkos it could get a way warmer.
I’ve found that the M9’s brightnes can be completely taken away by just lowering the source volume a bit. This is at least he case when using my iphone. If i take the volume down two clicks from max, the M9 completely smooths out so much I’m honestly surprised. I can directly test it back to back by increasing source volume to max and the sound becomes much brighter and simblant. I’ve tried this on a few songs like Torture from the jacksons and S sounds are much sharper withvmax source volume. I’ve never had a dac that has his much of a change from doing the same thing. Its strange.

Mar 29, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #29 of 29
Just got a balanced 2.5mm cable so the hawks can hook to the M9. I do prefer the balanced output to the unbalanced one, but its not enough of a change to make it worth spending money on another cable imo. I got the cable so I can use the hawks with the M9, and also with my balanced thx when the massdrop 2.5mm to 4pin xlr adapter gets shipped. Very nice cable for $60 though, and also good for daps as well. KK cable on amazon
8E033477-0F6A-4985-A929-F741BA70D162.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back