SMSL M8A (ES9028Q2M)
Apr 9, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #32 of 298
SMSL just released upgraded version of SMSL M8 with [COLOR=111111]ES9028Q2M chip and DSD512 support. Anyone heard it already? Strangely, they state it has lower SNR than M8 ([/COLOR]M8a ~ 117 vs M8 ~ 125). Dunno if to believe those numbers anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-ES9028-Optical-Coaxial-Decoder/dp/B06XVWS9DV

It's on their website as well but antivirus says it's corrupted so I am sending Amazon link.

Here's another Amazon link, with a shot of the interior:

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-M8A-ES9028Q2M-Optical-Coaxial/dp/B06XW8WS1R/ref=pd_sbs_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06XW8WS1R&pd_rd_r=GXR6YY518TWB40HQFT86&pd_rd_w=KTlyq&pd_rd_wg=LXfyH&psc=1&refRID=GXR6YY518TWB40HQFT86

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #37 of 298
  So we will have a battle, right haha. I'm not living in the US so I can't return the one I don't like, so I just wait here :3

Basically

Cool, we will be waiting on your impressions.  

Thanks!

I will be sure to post as soon as I get them. The M8A drop just ended so it should be a week or two before I get that one (I hope not longer) and the Schiit is already in the mail xD

I also ordered an SMSL M9 on Amazon at a cheap price, lets see if it shows up.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #38 of 298
  The M8A is here, connected and playing. It only took 3 days from Shenzhen to Switzerland using free shipping, amazing right?
It uses 5V DC power as opposed to the M8 using 9V. Luckily the P1 linear power supply, also from SMSL, I was using with the M8 can be configured to output 12, 9 or 5 V from the second connection, nice.
Soundwise it's too early to say however I note something that was not working before (for whatever reason) with the M8 is now working perfectly.
I explain myself. As you know it's a whole mess configuring drivers, Foobar etc, and getting everything to work properly.
I have configured my Foobar to output as follows:

OK, now previously with the M8 this setting did not seem to take effect. WAV, LPCM, FLAC, etc. would output as such thus not being converted to DSD.
This same setting with the M8A is now working (probably the driver is doing its work properly).
Other than that I do notice a firmer, more pronounced bass, that's all for the moment.
Oh and the M8A is much heavier than the M8, at least 40% more, weird.

Any further impressions on sound? I don't know if I can hold on for Jimster's toys to arrive.
biggrin.gif
 Looking for simple entry level dsd dac for my very high end audio system. Very interested in bass response as that is a strength of my system and firmer, better bass not easy to get in entry level components. Jimster's Topping D30 on the bay for $85 delivered, but if M8A likely better then that's the one.

Has anyone messed with mini shelving units? This Topping looks awfully cute:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NrwAAOSwDmBY5K17/s-l1600.jpg

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #39 of 298
  The M8A is here, connected and playing. It only took 3 days from Shenzhen to Switzerland using free shipping, amazing right?
It uses 5V DC power as opposed to the M8 using 9V. Luckily the P1 linear power supply, also from SMSL, I was using with the M8 can be configured to output 12, 9 or 5 V from the second connection, nice.
Soundwise it's too early to say however I note something that was not working before (for whatever reason) with the M8 is now working perfectly.
I explain myself. As you know it's a whole mess configuring drivers, Foobar etc, and getting everything to work properly.
I have configured my Foobar to output as follows:

OK, now previously with the M8 this setting did not seem to take effect. WAV, LPCM, FLAC, etc. would output as such thus not being converted to DSD.
This same setting with the M8A is now working (probably the driver is doing its work properly).
Other than that I do notice a firmer, more pronounced bass, that's all for the moment.
Oh and the M8A is much heavier than the M8, at least 40% more, weird.

Any sound updates particularly in the bass department? My system is quite revealing of bass and your initial comments sound promising for M8A as great bass not easy to get.

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #40 of 298
I have a few different DAC in various devices,AKM AK4490, ES9018, Burr-Brown PCM 1792 & PCM1793 and now ES9028 with the M8A.
I can tell you that this implementation is clearly both the most analytical and the most enjoyable I have experienced yet.
It has possibilities (combined with Foobar2000) that clearly set it apart. One of the reasons is the Windows driver which is clearly customized and allows a lot of flexibility. Hence as I described in my previous post all my music streaming to the M8A is done through USB and all music formats are converted to DSD512. I have set the 60K analog filter which I find most "musical".
I can recommend the M8A to anyone on a budget (or not). One condition though is the use of a linear power supply. You can get very nice ones on aliexpress or use the SMSL one (which I find too expensive although it matches the design of the M8x).

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #41 of 298
  I have a few different DAC in various devices,AKM AK4490, ES9018, Burr-Brown PCM 1792 & PCM1793 and now ES9028 with the M8A.
I can tell you that this implementation is clearly both the most analytical and the most enjoyable I have experienced yet.
It has possibilities (combined with Foobar2000) that clearly set it apart. One of the reasons is the Windows driver which is clearly customized and allows a lot of flexibility. Hence as I described in my previous post all my music streaming to the M8A is done through USB and all music formats are converted to DSD512. I have set the 60K analog filter which I find most "musical".
I can recommend the M8A to anyone on a budget (or not). One condition though is the use of a linear power supply. You can get very nice ones on aliexpress or use the SMSL one (which I find too expensive although it matches the design of the M8x).

I've got an old school tank of a variable linear power supply that might do the trick initially. Do you see any benefit in getting something with schottky diodes, etc.?

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #42 of 298
  I've got an old school tank of a variable linear power supply that might do the trick initially. Do you see any benefit in getting something with schottky diodes, etc.?

Schottky diodes are faster than normal ones and more expensive, being used in a design is sometimes a sign of quality. If your PS is old maybe you could just change the filtering capacitors to be on the safe side.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #43 of 298

Basically

Thanks!

I will be sure to post as soon as I get them. The M8A drop just ended so it should be a week or two before I get that one (I hope not longer) and the Schiit is already in the mail xD

I also ordered an SMSL M9 on Amazon at a cheap price, lets see if it shows up.

I've been looking at your comments on Topping D30 and the M8. A bit surprised you like the Topping as the OPA1612 in the M8 should be a bit better than the OPA2134 in the Topping. I am particulary on about bass performance as I'm not going to use this with headphones and its going to be in my big system (isobaric subs doing tight bass down to 24hz). Flabby bass need not apply or euphonic sound. @st939 noted some bass improvement in the M8A and I wish I had the patience to make a call on this unit until your massdrop buy arrives (how cheap did you get the thing?) Are you using a seperate power supply with Topping or M8?

I'm thinking of buying the M8A through Amazon for $250 from Chinese seller  SHENZHENAUDIO who I think st939 likes. Do you think I can do a return with Amazon if get this thing all Foobared up and hate it? The cool thing about Amazon over ebay is seller must provide US return address or prepaid shipping for return. Ebay has the darn Topping for $85, and I know the OP of that thread desoldered out the OPA2134 for OPA2107 to get a bit better bass, but I'd rather not mess with op rolling.
deadhorse.gif

I've got an itchy trigger finger on this. I've gotta feeling the M8A is the one, but your filtering concerns etc. really have me on the fence especially when the Topping is 1/3rd the price. I've got a bunch of SACD isos ready to go and even st939's love of upconverting everything to 512 has me intrigued. (Ugh, probably should just buy both with the Topping so cheap, but not my nature. ugh)

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #44 of 298
Beyond -100dB noise levels are pretty meaningless.
The Topping is using an inferior DAC (Cirrus) and an old implementation of the XMOS chip. It can therefore only be inferior (albeit cheaper as well).
[/quote
DAC is a dac, the specs are similar and all the flagship DACs compete.
Xmos is the same thing for both from what I have seen.
They use the same drivers and interface.

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #45 of 298
Any further impressions on sound? I don't know if I can hold on for Jimster's toys to arrive.:D  Looking for simple entry level dsd dac for my very high end audio system. Very interested in bass response as that is a strength of my system and firmer, better bass not easy to get in entry level components. Jimster's Topping D30 on the bay for $85 delivered, but if M8A likely better then that's the one.

Has anyone messed with mini shelving units? This Topping looks awfully cute:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NrwAAOSwDmBY5K17/s-l1600.jpg

Grab the topping and don't look back lol.
Most likely both my M8 and M8A will be for sale in the next month's after I finish testing everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back