SMSL M500 MQA DAC
Aug 4, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #61 of 144
Do you used the USB input?
yes I am using the USB port. Like I said I am getting the MQA logo and either a green light or blue light shows with anywhere from 44.1/48
96/ 192, and have set up Tidal as per SMSL instructions. I have not seen the magenta light. Just want to know if this is normal or there is something else I need to do to have full "unfold" of the MQA file. Thank you again for the attention

Aug 4, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #63 of 144
Yeah but how is it better. I guess i am asking for more marketing content on why people should pay literally double the price for M400 or a similar performing DAC as the M500?
I am not sure what you are asking. I just want what it says in the manual about the magenta light and the final unfold of the MQA file . That is what I thought I was paying for.

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #64 of 144
yes I am using the USB port. Like I said I am getting the MQA logo and either a green light or blue light shows with anywhere from 44.1/48
96/ 192, and have set up Tidal as per SMSL instructions. I have not seen the magenta light. Just want to know if this is normal or there is something else I need to do to have full "unfold" of the MQA file. Thank you again for the attention
That is normal.
Whether you can get higher bitrate music after unfolding depends on the MQA audio file. Some special songs can only get a bit rate of 352.8kHz after unfolding. Or you try more songs.

S.M.S.L Stay updated on S.M.S.L at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/S.M.S.LOfficiaI https://twitter.com/SMSL_Official http://www.smsl-audio.com/ smsl_mandy@126.com
Aug 17, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #67 of 144
Hey guys. Recently received m500 and i am enjoying it. I have e
Emu Teaks and DT1770 to run it with.

Now what i would like to do is get Schiit Loki. Just want to fine tune tonality a bit especially on Teaks.

What that means obviously is i need and amp for loki to go into.

My question os would something like Atom work or is it inferior to one on board amp of m500. If yes what amp would you suggest?

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #68 of 144
Hey guys. Recently received m500 and i am enjoying it. I have e
Emu Teaks and DT1770 to run it with.

Now what i would like to do is get Schiit Loki. Just want to fine tune tonality a bit especially on Teaks.

What that means obviously is i need and amp for loki to go into.

My question os would something like Atom work or is it inferior to one on board amp of m500. If yes what amp would you suggest?
Don't waste your money on loki. Get ROON it have more powerful EQ and the best library for music.

Aug 17, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #69 of 144
Don't waste your money on loki. Get ROON it have more powerful EQ and the best library for music.
Thanks.
But id prefer to have EQ across the system.

Regardless i probably should have just asked what would be a step up amp from M500 one without breaking bank.
Been always into daps and on the go gear and just recently upped my desktop gear a bit as i dont listen there too often i am not intending to spend as much. So say up to 300 bucks/pounds?

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #70 of 144
Roon is software that will do EQ and manage your music.

Loki will be less flexible and honestly will affect the SQ.

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #71 of 144
Thanks.
But id prefer to have EQ across the system.

Regardless i probably should have just asked what would be a step up amp from M500 one without breaking bank.
Been always into daps and on the go gear and just recently upped my desktop gear a bit as i dont listen there too often i am not intending to spend as much. So say up to 300 bucks/pounds?
Audio GD has a new amp in development in that price point that was a request from his EU market iiuc.... the Loki has some pretty good reviews, but as mentioned you will probably lose some clarity vs. the M500 direct so imho it is a good idea to limit the cost for that amp and the Topping A30 may be sufficient. The loss of clarity may be noticeable and you may eventually want to then have both options available, EQ/amp and clean direct. I would also consider a tube amp for providing this alternative path.

Aug 24, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #73 of 144
Right so i finally got myself a pair of xlr cables to plug my KRK Rokit 10 2.1 monitors setup
And now i have a slight static hiss in tweeters. I have my m500 connected via usb to PC which has aio cpu cooler and few fans so i take it the noise is caused by them? Or it something else?

Hiss was not there when i had it plugged to my Scarlett 2i2 via RCA previously.
I have no such issues with HP out.

Any workaround around that?

Oh and i also have some static interference on subwoofer when using PC.

Connetion looks like this.

Speakers>xlr>sub>xlr>m500>usb>pc

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #74 of 144
So last Saturday I received my SMSL M500. Out of the box it had a problem. see my post on the Quad ERA-1 forum. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/quad-era-1-thread.878180/page-83#post-15886798 As you will see the display wasn't working but I could just make out enough on the screen to set it up. After setting it up & being highly impressed with the sound quality over my Schiit Magni3/Modi3 stack I had stuff to do so went away for an hour or more. When I came back the screen was working, like magic, working, which was great. Anyway I could turn it on & off with no probs, it just kept working. Until Thursday night when we had a power cut, we live out in the sticks & we get a lot of power cuts. Well when I turned it on on Friday, no screen! again by peering at it at various funny angles I managed to set it up & it works just fine but no screen which is a total pain. So what now, well it's gonna have to go back to that great Amazon in the Sky. Will I get another? Maybe, but maybe I'll push the boat out, forget MQA & get the RME-ADI.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #75 of 144
I don’t know if there is a uk support number if there is an issue.

Also MQA from TIDAL means;
Exclusive Mode =ON?
Force Volume=OFF?
Passthrough MQA=ON?

In this YouTube review it was stated Force Volume=ON.

Very conflicting. Please clarify

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back